Octane booster for 120gallons vs Stabil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't wanna keep 120Gal of flammable liquid in my garage...

*sorry*

If you are to use them (120Gal) soon, granted that there's enough sta-bil in the gas to slow down it's oxidation process, then you are good to go.

Get some FIC handy next time when you get your boat down the ramp and ready for the season.

Q.

Does it have any level of ethanol in it? If so, drain that garbage out.

Octane booster does not add octane numbers as you see them on the pump. It only adds points, and 1 point is the equivalent of .1 RON "Pump" numbers. So if a bottle claims to raise your octane 5 points in 15 gallons, it has went from 87 to 87.5, not to 92.

IMO Octane Booster is one of the biggest "snake additive" purchases one can make. Around here the difference between 87 and 93 is about .30 per gallon. at 15 gal, it would be 4.50 more. You couldn't add enough bottles of "octane booster" to raise the RON number 6 digits.

Sorry for the long post. If it has ethanol, get it out. Otherwise, the Stabil is what I would use.

Octane is not what is lost when gas gets old. In fact, since the volatiles are what tends to evaporate off, chances are old gas has slightly more octane that it did when new.

If you used sufficient Stabil, the gas will likely work just fine. Don't go looking for trouble you don't have......Or find ways to spend money that won't help. Good luck.

The gasoline sat for seven cold winter months with some stabilizer in it? While not fresh, I'd bet it is still just fine, and would just use it as-is.

If the gasoline sat untreated for seven hot months I would be concerned.

Thanks all for your comments.

@Quest : we are 8boats in the garage ! all full up to the cap!
its a big Boom if someone light a cigarette!

@Donald : I used the red stabil liquid. And put more then what they recommand.

I fill up the boat gaz tank in order to not have any condensation in my tank. (aluminium gaz tank).

Originally Posted By: Yannick
Thanks all for your comments.

@Quest : we are 8boats in the garage ! all full up to the cap!
its a big Boom if someone light a cigarette!

@Donald : I used the red stabil liquid. And put more then what they recommand.

I fill up the boat gaz tank in order to not have any condensation in my tank. (aluminium gaz tank).

There won't be any boom with a full tank. You need air and fuel vapors for a boom. The TV and movies aren't the same as real life. I like watching when cars explode just as they go over a cliff, someone hit the button too soon.

Have a leak and some fuel vapors around, and then maybe you'll have a boom, remember the air/fuel mixture for a boom is about 15 parts air to gas.

Try and start it, see what happens.. Worst case scenario is having to drain some and replace with fresh stuff but if you used stabil at the correct rate the chances are it'll be fine

can we say its better to store a boat with empty gas tank ?
and fill it up with fresh one at spring?

my big concern is condensation, i do not want water in my tank.

condensation should be the least of your worries if (a) you top up your 120Gal tanks (total? individual?) with fresh gas, (b)cap them tight and (c)store them indoors.

Worst case is to expose them to exterior moisture during storage time where the tank "breathes" due to thermal expansion/contraction.

That's how they draw additional moisture from the surrounding into the tank...

Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back