Corolla Production to Stop In Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: css9450
Originally Posted By: cb450sc
Couldn't believe it when I saw the headline. Toyota will cease Corolla production in Cambridge, Ontario after 2018. I think Corollas have been built there since 1988.

My first assumption when I saw the thread, was that maybe sales are down.

I don't see many of the "bold new" Corollas driving around. Maybe the people who liked the appliance look of the old Corolla have gone elsewhere?

Extremely popular car around here. Younger folks seem to mostly be the new owners so Toyota hit something right. First time really ever a Corolla at least looks slightly interesting to look at.

The Corolla has been a mainstay for Toyota...I visited the Corolla plant in Japan in 1987....they were pumping them out using JIT manufacturing and the plant was spotless.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Extremely popular car around here. Younger folks seem to mostly be the new owners so Toyota hit something right. First time really ever a Corolla at least looks slightly interesting to look at.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... the big frowny black mustache does nothing for me!

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
With who's in power and the new carbon tax tripe, it isn't a surprise. They are killing the province.

Originally Posted By: css9450
My first assumption when I saw the thread, was that maybe sales are down.

I don't see many of the "bold new" Corollas driving around. Maybe the people who liked the appliance look of the old Corolla have gone elsewhere?

What? Those are like the most ridiculous reasons.

It's from high production costs due to unions, and low cost cars having low profit margins.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
With who's in power and the new carbon tax tripe, it isn't a surprise. They are killing the province.

Carbon tax?

It's from high production costs due to unions, and low cost cars having low profit margins.

Yes, the provincial government already tripled our hydro costs to fund their "green energy" projects (including the non-existent billion dollar gas plant) and now they are going to impose a carbon tax that will initially raise fuel prices 2.5 to 3c a litre, a cost that will increase if oil prices go back up.

Many companies have already stated they've left or are leaving because of the high price of electricity.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Originally Posted By: rjundi

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... the big frowny black mustache does nothing for me!

None of the previous versions were anything to look at...even with the "frowny mustache" this is far and away the best looking Corolla to date...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back