Help decide on a new 1/4 rachet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have set of Kobalt 1/2, 3/8, 1/4. Also two long handle harbor freight flex head ratchets 3/8 and 1/2. Those are really good ratchets and the cushion is awesome. I tend to use the 1/2 to break bolts loose. The gears on the is amazing and the Kobalts are great too.
Here's my requirements
1. Smooth Gears, no coarse gears
2. Smooth handle or cushion grip. No checkered or rough grip.
3. Flex head is not a requirement, but is nice.
4. My limit is 40.00 dollars.

Craftsman Micro-Tooth, if you can find them. Have the same ratchet head as Micro-Torque torque wrenches do. Just be sure to take it apart and check if it has enough grease in it before you use it too much. The Micro-Tooth usually have enough, but the Micro-Torque often don't have enough and fail prematurely. Properly greased, they last for years in rough service, have smooth comfortable handles, and near perfect ratchet action.

Since you are only looking for 1/4", I see you could go up a few notches in quality from Kobalt for $40.

Sadly, Snap-On's cheapest is $55 plus tax. [GT936] [36 tooth, sealed, smooth handle, black oxide finish]

Since you like the Hazard Freight ratchets, pick up one of those.

My favorite 1/4 ratchet is an older round head fine tooth Snap On that I picked up on eBay for $25. Check there for nice used ratchets.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

My favorite 1/4 ratchet is an older round head fine tooth Snap On that I picked up on eBay for $25. Check there for nice used ratchets.

I have picked up a few Snap On 1/4 ratchets at pawn shops over the years. Payed $5 for one and $1 for another. Local pawn shop manager told me he puts all name brand tools on eBay now because they bring more money there. Guess I'll have to go outta town to find any more deals.

The problem with that is, people run the prices way up. Most of the time, it seems to be a better deal to just save up for a new ratchet.

Originally Posted By: cb_13

I have picked up a few Snap On 1/4 ratchets at pawn shops over the years. Payed $5 for one and $1 for another. Local pawn shop manager told me he puts all name brand tools on eBay now because they bring more money there. Guess I'll have to go outta town to find any more deals.

I was thinking to try some pawnshops, the prices on ebay get high quick.

The only game in town, IMO, is a Snap On Locking Flex Head, ~6" long.

I have one, and it is a beauty.

If it is for everyday use you may consider the non-locking Flex Head as you can perform tasks faster if you can change the angle of your sweep as you work.

I purchased it on Student Discount, so not sure if full price is too $$$ for you.

But, I guarantee you'll only cry once paying full price for it.

I like the Craftsman premium 84 tooth ratchets, especially in 1/4 drive. The 1/4 is about $40 in store, but the Sears/Shop Your Way coupons are pretty easy to come by and lower that cost. These are still made in the USA also, if that matters in your decision.

Originally Posted By: tezzzas
I have set of Kobalt 1/2, 3/8, 1/4. Also two long handle harbor freight flex head ratchets 3/8 and 1/2. Those are really good ratchets and the cushion is awesome. I tend to use the 1/2 to break bolts loose. The gears on the is amazing and the Kobalts are great too.
Here's my requirements
1. Smooth Gears, no coarse gears
2. Smooth handle or cushion grip. No checkered or rough grip.
3. Flex head is not a requirement, but is nice.
4. My limit is 40.00 dollars.

Last edited:
New to slightly used Snap-On T72.
Snap-On's Dual 80 design in 1/4 size.
(72 teeth)
And of course a lifetime warranty.

A quick look on eBay shows at least a dozen sold recently for under $40 including shipping.

You can't go wrong with a Snap-On ratchet in excellent shape for <$40.

To the OP, by all means shop for the most expensive ratchet, after all price is no object, and be sure it is made here in the U.S. regardless of it's quality.

I tend to use the 1/2 to break bolts loose.

A suggestion : Curb this tendency.

Use a breaker bar instead. That is what they are for.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
To the OP, by all means shop for the most expensive ratchet, after all price is no object, and be sure it is made here in the U.S. regardless of it's quality.

He said his limit is $40 so why buy a cheap piece of junk? No one recommended $100 ratchets.
No need to go into pro Chicom cheap tool mode here. He probably isn't 87 years old and needs the tool to last more than a few months or he checks out whichever comes first.

I was thinking to try some pawnshops, the prices on ebay get high quick.

I check the Buy It Now auctions first.

The best deals are Williams ratchets and you can use Snap-on parts.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Good ratchet with quick release. Made in USA.
http://www.zoro.com/i/G1169235/?utm_sour...CFdcegQodP2EAQg

I am glad you liked it too. it was recommended to me by a friend, working on sea oil rigs in between Scotland and Norway. Being showered and drenched by the salt water all the time and he swears by them, says it still has the same solid low-drag action after years of abuse.

With Zoro one can wait for their semiannual 30% off flash sale or pick up a regular 20% coupon on nearly a daily basis. Free ship with the base prices (before discounts) of $50+. I always buy a jug or 2 or 5 of Zerex G-05/Asian/Green if I need a price filler, they come out at very attractive prices, even cheaper than my local WorldPack would do. Proto Duratec screwdriver is another good price filler.

They also have AS (Aero-Space) 88-tooth Armstrong MAXX ratchet line at very attractive prices.

This is the Armstrong 1/4 MAXX ratchet, 88 teeth, very smooth (description is for the older 60 tooth count variant). Very smooth. In practical terms I view high tooth as a fad, no real use most of the time, just extra wear from regular use.

Zoro is an online retail creation of grainger, so one could warranty their products at their local Grainger location. They carry an extensive line of Proto products and their prices are quite competitive. Their site navigation is a torture though, not of MacMaster Carr level.

They carry some unusual socket sets by Proto, like this 3/8 Proto 12pt socket set that extends well above usual 19mm upper end.

So, to sum it up for OP, for $24 after 20% discount you could have a world class ratchet instead of the horror freight article.

Very compact heads on both above-referenced Armstrong and Proto ratchets

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
My go to as of late is my 1/4 HF Composite unit

Butter smooth, durable, comfortable in all weather, not too loud, and $9.

If you want to see nice pictures of what's in the HF composite, Amazon has the Tekton composite. Other than color, it looks identical to the HF.

If you scroll down on the page they have several varieties of 1/4", low-profile, flex-head, ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back