Fram Ultra or Honda OEM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to go 7k OCI with Pennzoil Ultra 0W20.

Would anyone think it a problem to keep a Fram Ultra on for two OCIs or should I change with a cheaper OEM Honda filter at 7K?

Last edited:
The Ultra is rated to 15k and cut open filters shown on BITOG seem to support that it is an accurate rating.

Honda filters are similar to Fram TG filters last I saw which would be fine for your 7k OCI's but I would not 2x them.

Even though many Honda owner's manuals say to leave the filter on for two OCIs?

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
Honda filters are similar to Fram TG filters last I saw which would be fine for your 7k OCI's but I would not 2x them.

Run the filter in my sig that I have on the rogue - if it fits.

Stunningly made large FILTEC s2000 race filter. Bigus Buckus at the stealership though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Even though many Honda owner's manuals say to leave the filter on for two OCIs?

Very true. I've used both but I'm too impressed with the Ultras that I made the switch.

Thats exactly what I do in my Acura. Two 7.5k oil changes per filter. My last Honda recommended 20k mile filter changes (10k x 2) and it was fine.

My Elements can use the oversized S2000 filters. If you can find them, the Mobil 1 and Fram Ultra are the same price as the 7317 version. Not all Hondas can take these bigger filters though.

I have 65k+ miles on my Honda Accord and only use Honda Filters every 7K miles. I also use the Honda filter on our Acura TL also with 7K OCI's. Both cars run perfectly and we are happy. Won't be using anything else on our Honda's.

I wouldn't hesitate to use either the Fram Ultra or any Honda OEM filter for 2 OCIs. I've been using the OEMs in that way for a long time. I like that they're OEM and cheaper. My opinion is that the Ultra is probably better than the OEM, but the OEM is more than good enough.

Fram Ultra for 2 OCI's no problem. There is a $2 rebate right now as well if you haven't already purchased them.

I believe most filters are under used (if the filter is well built, with lots of even strong pleating). There are application exceptions of course.

For example, the puro classic that came out of my van after 10k miles looked like new. Perfect pleating, no sign of stress, no sign that it was at max capacity.

If Fram claims 15k miles for their Ultra I suspect the real capacity is much higher in clean/healthy engines.

I know better than Honda does, so I change the oil filter in our newer Accord at each drain.
Seriously, though, if Honda says that changing the filter every other OCI is okay, then it follows that the OEM oil filter is up to the task.
Use whichever you prefer for two OCIs if you'd like.
No harm either way.
The Ultra does appear to be a very good filter and much more efficient than the Honda branded oil filter.

Originally Posted By: kenpoed
I want to go 7k OCI with Pennzoil Ultra 0W20.

Would anyone think it a problem to keep a Fram Ultra on for two OCIs or should I change with a cheaper OEM Honda filter at 7K?

Why would you leave an oil filter on for two(2) OCIs. That doesn't make sense. I know Honda recommends it, but that doesn't mean it is a good idea. Fresh filter = Better filtration. But to each their own.

That being said, I would go with the ultra. I believe that Honda OEM is a rebadged Fram OCOD or TG.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
The Ultra is rated to 15k and cut open filters shown on BITOG seem to support that it is an accurate rating.

Most of which lived in placed with good weather, EG Texas

Honda sells what some call rock catches like most of the oem does and the engines do just fine. Personally i like the rock catches as some call them because of the flow!
And the people that build and warranty the engines just like i do like the oem also

Go with the Fram Ultra. If ya got Ultra oil.. Then it only makes sense to have a ultra filter
smile.gif

If you have the room, why use the small S2000 filter when you can use a big one ?
That is what I use on my S2000 for 15 to 16k miles, have 115k miles and going strong.

ROD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back