How long is left on this CV boot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
I replaced my alternator today (bearing noise, had lifetime warranty at O'Reilly's) and I took off the passenger front tire to make it easier to put the serpentine belt back on and noticed the inner CV boot was tearing and slinging grease. I changed the oil a month ago and didn't notice that so it's happened within the last month. I texted my mechanic asking for a price on replacing the boots VS the axle (I'll do the axle if it's way cheaper than new CV boots, and keep the OE axle to keep as a backup and put new boots on it for when the next ones go since this car goes through CV boots often.

My question is, how long do I have before it starts some damage to the CV axle? I'm just wondering if this is something that's urgent or I can wait a month or two to get around to having it done.

It's torn but when the drivers side was torn it was much worse and was torn all the way around, this one doesn't seem torn all the way around.

jfezk8.jpg

DIY as soon as you can, and if you can that is.

If that an OEM axle, I would rather change out the boots and put in new grease, no need for an after market axle.

If you want to wait you need to add somekind of temporary protection around the boot so that dirt and girt doesn't get into to the joint. Maybe wrap some heavy gauge plastic around it and use duct tape to secure it. It won't be perfect, but it will keep most of the dirt from getting in there until you get to repair it.

Well since you have been slinging out the grease for a few weeks, who knows how much is left in there.

You got some advice to try and seal out water and dirt and you should follow his advice until you get it repaired. Hopefully you do not go long if you want to keep that original joint.

grease collects dirt and hopefully not in your joint.

Its probably already low on grease and dirt is already in there. It will need replacement. Why not drive it until it starts to fail? Save a few miles off the new ones. I'd drive it until it made noise turning , get the last of the miles out of it then replace.

Last edited:
Bah. Mine was split for months, and still had grease left. Replaced the boots, flipped the joints, drove on.

I Bought Rein boots, and I do not recommend. The outers are ok, but just do not feel as good as oem. The inners sucked. Two different inners are required, and one inner was not usable. Tossed that and reused the old one. Really both inners were still good, and I should not have bothered.

What I do not get is why you are having problems. I see the heat shield that is to protect the boot. I lost mine years ago. The inners were fine for me, just an outer split. I know it is warm for you, but is it that much warmer?

Color seems wrong too. The new grease was gray, and the old grease was pitch black.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I'll do the axle if it's way cheaper than new CV boots, and keep the OE axle

Part of the reason why a replacement reman axle is so inexpensive (comparitively) is because of the core charge. If you're planning on keeping your OEM axle, the replacement won't be cheap.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I'll do the axle if it's way cheaper than new CV boots, and keep the OE axle

Part of the reason why a replacement reman axle is so inexpensive (comparitively) is because of the core charge. If you're planning on keeping your OEM axle, the replacement won't be cheap.
I had the drivers side axle replaced last August because a boot tore, my mechanic ordered me a new axle (not reman) and I was able to keep the old drivers side axle. I'd do the same with the passenger side, the drivers side was $100 for a new axle.

Originally Posted By: supton
Bah. Mine was split for months, and still had grease left. Replaced the boots, flipped the joints, drove on.

I Bought Rein boots, and I do not recommend. The outers are ok, but just do not feel as good as oem. The inners sucked. Two different inners are required, and one inner was not usable. Tossed that and reused the old one. Really both inners were still good, and I should not have bothered.

What I do not get is why you are having problems. I see the heat shield that is to protect the boot. I lost mine years ago. The inners were fine for me, just an outer split. I know it is warm for you, but is it that much warmer?

Color seems wrong too. The new grease was gray, and the old grease was pitch black.
Well I looked back in the service records and I believe it was replaced at 106k miles (65k miles ago) so that isn't too bad. I got it mixed up to when the drivers side inner was previously replaced.

Originally Posted By: supton

This.

I wouldn't consider the joint a goner, but I wouldn't let it go for months, personally.

I personally would order or buy boots and get on this job ASAP.

I'm personally a fan of re-booting factory axles. There are so many complaints online about aftermarket axles that keeping your OE axle is worth it to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back