What's so special about Amsoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 340_Magnum
We have UOAs of people running Amsoil Signature Series darn close to 25,000 miles on this site. I've yet to see that done on PP, QSUD or Mobil 1.

thumbsup2.gif

I've used amsoil in the past and most likely will again,I like their product line,as well as their motor oils.

You people on this forum tend to bash products just because they aren't on the shelves @ your local Walmart. This forum is pretty informative at times and other times it's just plain rediculous with all of the bashing that goes on here.

Originally Posted By: Donald
In my opinion, there are other oils out there as good as Amsoil. But I think their ATF and SVG gear oil are a notch above the other high end lubricants.

I do not like the entire MLM concept.

+1 That's my opinion also.

Originally Posted By: RazorsEdge
You people on this forum tend to bash products just because they aren't on the shelves @ your local Walmart. This forum is pretty informative at times and other times it's just plain rediculous with all of the bashing that goes on here.

Na, aside form the fact that there's no local walmart here, I stick more to the dinky tests, the 4 ball, the "meets or exceeds" mumbo-jumbo, and the "recommended for" applications that the oil clearly doesn't meet.

PAO oils are always going to cost more than Group 3 or similar basestocks.

Not always. What's in my G37's sump is primarily PAO and costs around $25 a gallon at my Canadian distributor, which is an absolute steal. Our big retailers up here, however, just don't know when to quit with the markups.
wink.gif

There is no reason to spend extra coin on Amsoil when you can get a 5 quart jug of Royal Purple for $37 at Walmart. You would be hard pressed to find a better oil at a better everyday value.

If Amsoil ever changes their ridiculous sales strategy and bring their oils to the mainstream market I would try them. Im surprised that their gimmicky sales strategy hasn't put them out of business yet. Most products cant survive over time relying on pyramid scheme sales strategies and mail order alone. JMHO

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: Donald
In my opinion, there are other oils out there as good as Amsoil. But I think their ATF and SVG gear oil are a notch above the other high end lubricants.

I do not like the entire MLM concept.

+1 That's my opinion also.

MLM biz model requires higher prices due to the long line of folks expecting a commission. Just a simple fact, not an indictment.

I used Amsoil exclusively for a very long time and it performed flawlessly in all kinds of engines, etc. Great product. But just like RP, it's simply too much moolah when great performing oils are at WM for 20 bucks for 5 quarts...

We have UOAs of people running Amsoil Signature Series darn close to 25,000 miles on this site. I've yet to see that done on PP, QSUD or Mobil 1. Not that they aren't very good oils in their own right. PAO oils are always going to cost more than Group 3 or similar basestocks.

Except their SS isn't a full PAO anymore, and their Group III oil (XL and OE) are more expensive than similar off the shelf Group III oils.

Amsoil SS MSDS

30-60% baseoil is Distillates, petroleum, hydrotreated heavy paraffinic and Distillates, petroleum, solvent dewaxed heavy paraffinic

It's good oil, but it's not the Unicorn Blood the fanbois like to claim it is.

The fact is, so many of Amsoil's products are the top performing brand in each distinct application. Their Signature Series is no doubt the best long drain, high performance motor oil on the market. it has it's place. Their Motorcycle oils are also the best lubricants on the market, their motorcycle lubricant paper prooves that. Their Dominator line of products, racing oils, 2-stroke oils, coolant boost/engine coolant, are all fantastic products that really do perform. Their Diesel oils also perform very well in today's emissions equipped trucks and over the road big rigs.

As for their filter line, the EAO oil filters are as good as they get (don't give me [censored] about Fram Ultra's being so much better), designed for long drain intervals, and the build quality is superb. The EAA (nano-fiber air filters) are also as good as it gets for air filtration (~90% @ 1 micron), preventing any wear causing particles from entering engine through the air intake. They guarantee them for up to 4 years, only need gentle cleaning once per year. They also have a very good bypass filter, if you so choose to use them, 99% @ 2 micron/1 micron nominal efficiency, they last for at least 50k miles in a healthy engine and have a total cost of ownership much lower than other popular bypass filters on the market.

Their Signature Series ATF, and Synchromech MTF are also some of the their best products, a very long lasting transmission fluid for the majority of vehicles on the road. They have a wide selection of greases, very good greases, designed for specific applications, and they work very well for what they are meant for; heavy duty polymeric greases, multi-purpose, racing grease (ester based), artic grade grease, water resistant grease, all perform awesome, I have used most of them and I am very happy with them.

Last edited:
Most of the Amsoil bashers that 'do the math' are not including the value of their time, oil disposal (because not everyone's wife is happy with a used oil container in the garage, especially after you spill it once), and so on. And then they argue "x doesn't apply to me"... well congratulations for being an individual, but you don't discredit the process to determine what makes sense because *your* end result is different.

Once performance requirements are met, the metric is cost per mile and you have to be sure to include every aspect of the difference between the two. I found a place that'll do the labor for $12, and I go 2-3x longer with Amsoil so I save between $12 and $24 of the bat, as well as save the time I don't have to sit at the shop, and I don't have to step into a walmart (a big pro IMO).

Amsoil doesn't go 2-3x times longer than top of the line oils like Mobil 1 EP. $5/quart Mobil 1 EP at Walmart every day.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Amsoil doesn't go 2-3x times longer than top of the line oils like Mobil 1 EP. $5/quart Mobil 1 EP at Walmart every day.

Until recently it did. For a LONG time it was the only company that had a 15k mile severe service oil with a matching filter. Why change now? Especially when I can get all my fluids of comparable (read: excellent) quality from the same place?

Recall the OCI Mobil advertised for M1 when it was first sold. Amsoil claimed the same. I know someone who actually used to run his Mercedes 240D 25K between OC's using M1 in the 1970's. Anecdotal, yes. Unusually durable engine, yes.

You will never find mobil 1 EP here in Canada for $5/qt.... Not even regular M1. Here, you get what you pay for, and Amsoil SS is cheaper than EP anyday!

In the states, everything is subsidized it seems.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
MLM kind of works like the VAT (Value Added Tax) in Europe. Every time somthing changes hands, 17% is added. So manufacturerto wholesaler, wholsaler to distributor, distributor to retailer, retalier to you. Every time 17% is added to the selling price. Pretty soon the stuff is more than twice what it would be without the tax. Same goes for MLM. Every time it changes hands, a "taste of the agte" is added to the price so that person gets his share. Soon you are paying double as well.

that's not true... only the end user pays the 17% VAT. if you sell on a product with an invoice you can recliim the VAT you paid upon purchase

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: brandini
Most of the Amsoil bashers that 'do the math' are not including the value of their time, oil disposal (because not everyone's wife is happy with a used oil container in the garage, especially after you spill it once), and so on. And then they argue "x doesn't apply to me"... well congratulations for being an individual, but you don't discredit the process to determine what makes sense because *your* end result is different.

Once performance requirements are met, the metric is cost per mile and you have to be sure to include every aspect of the difference between the two. I found a place that'll do the labor for $12, and I go 2-3x longer with Amsoil so I save between $12 and $24 of the bat, as well as save the time I don't have to sit at the shop, and I don't have to step into a walmart (a big pro IMO).

That's another piece of stupid amsoil marketting that annoys me.

"look how much time and money that you save using Amsoil versus following the manufacturer's OCIs"

If you are in warranty you have to follow them. When out, you can do what you want, Amsoil, Mobil, or any other.

UOAs time and time again show that not many OCIs have used the full life of any oil (Amsoil or not), and could go considerably longer then the manufacturer's OCI.

The 25K oil change is just banking on the probability that people who drive that far in a year are in a relatively oil friendly usage pattern...and those that aren't don't cover 25k miles in a year.

You could save exactly the same amount of time and used oil on Mobil 1...and save some $$$ on intial purchase price as well.

(Back when Mobil had a tech line in Australia, they confirmed that my own car, out of warranty, annual OCIs, even out to 40,000km were possible with M1)

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Recall the OCI Mobil advertised for M1 when it was first sold. Amsoil claimed the same. I know someone who actually used to run his Mercedes 240D 25K between OC's using M1 in the 1970's. Anecdotal, yes. Unusually durable engine, yes.

Yeah, in Oz in the 80s it was advertised as offering "40,000km protection"...that's 25,000 miles.

We have UOAs of people running Amsoil Signature Series darn close to 25,000 miles on this site. I've yet to see that done on PP, QSUD or Mobil 1. Not that they aren't very good oils in their own right. PAO oils are always going to cost more than Group 3 or similar basestocks.

Really?

Where?
Nice seen many diesel oil used oil analysis here with Amsoil but gasoline applications are lacking and in fact I've yet to see one make the 25000 mile threshold without make up oil added.

To clarify I like Amsoil. I like the products,the company but the price is outrageous.
And what kind of fool runs a 25000 mile interval without at least one used oil analysis to insure the oil isn't TBN depleted.
That's 30 bucks a pop which is an oil change for me.
That 30 bucks adds to the cost per mile figure which makes an already expensive product even more expensive.
I used Amsoil exclusively for a decade,never griping about cost because I was fooled into believing they were the best and nothing compared.
Today I know that's bull.
And Amsoil does themselves no favours not screening potential dealers. Some of these guys are absolutely clueless,spreading misinformation and telling people nonsense.
Now not all dealers fall into this category. For example Pablo here is a class act and is what an Amsoil dealer should be. But there are others out there that know less than our greenest members and the worst part is they believe their own bull.
And let's get real here. If you want cutting edge oil technology you aren't getting it from Amsoil. Mobil,shell and Castrol are the guys doing all the expensive research and development. Blenders get their trickle down technology.
And price is the determining factor for me.
I've got Amsoil in my sump right now. I got it at a garage sale for literally pennies a quart. That price makes it attractive. 15 a quart makes it dusty.
And there are many here who sing the Amsoil praise and that's great. But only a fool believes paying more for something means it's better quality.
For years I too believed the nonsense and used the oil exclusively. Today I'd rather keep my money in my pocket.
My engines are still spotless and run fantastic on the way to the wrecker,just like when I used Amsoil however my cost of ownership has decreased.
I like their gear oil but redline is better. I like their trans fluid but no real approvals makes me think twice,especially when I can buy a less costly product that is certified.
A rational person doesn't fool themselves into belief. If they like the stuff then buy it. Who cares.
Just don't imply there is some kind of extra value. That's absurd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back