pyb 5W20 or tgmo

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi fellow oil enthusiasts. as some of you may know i traded my 05 rx in last may for my 15 rx. so far, we like it very much. here is something im pondering and need your advice (although im pretty sure already of your answers) my dealerships sales dept. was awesome, how ever the service dept. not so much. they have consistently managed to over fill the oil as much as almost a quart. took it back in, they drained and still managed to over fill it. so here is my thought re; this. i am thinking of changing the oil myself, i know it calls for 10k oil changes but i do a LOT of short trips! and in the winter i know this is not good. i am considering doing 5k service on pyb 5W20 because i think the 10k on syn. is pushing it with my short trips, yet i cant see doing 5k on synthetic. what do you guys think? do an oil analysis? and go from there?

thanks

While PYB is a fine oil, I don't think it will meet the vehicles minimum requirements which could void your drivetrain warranty.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
While PYB is a fine oil, I don't think it will meet the vehicles minimum requirements which could void your drivetrain warranty.

hmm, well it does state in my manual that if 0w20 is not available, 5w20 can be used. but then they go on to say that it needs to be replaced with the syn. after 5k? thats the part i think is a little weird.

Originally Posted By: lexus114

hmm, well it does state in my manual that if 0w20 is not available, 5w20 can be used. but then they go on to say that it needs to be replaced with the syn. after 5k? thats the part i think is a little weird.

I believe that most 0w-20 are synthetic or now a days can be a blend. They can go up to 10,000 miles by Lexus's thinking. 5w-20's can be synthetic, a blend or conventional. They probably don't want people running conventional(PYB) for 10,000 miles so the blanket statement, 5,000 mile OCI, for 5w-20 oils.

Whimsey

Strait from the manual

If SAE 0W-20 is not available,
SAE 5W-20 oil may be used.
However, it must be replaced with
SAE 0W-20 at the next oil
change.

0w-20 is a synthetic oil only.

Lexus corporate response to me;

David Rosen: Welcome to Lexus Chat. How may I help you?
Ryan McArdle: hi, can i use conventional 5W20 motor oil at 5,000 mile intervals in my 2015 RX?
Ryan McArdle: i am changing the oil myself due to dealership constantly overfilling
Ryan McArdle: and i do a lot of short trips
David Rosen: One moment please.
Ryan McArdle: ok
David Rosen: So we do not suggest going from synthetic to conventional. You should be able to purchase synthetic oil even if you would like to perform the maintenance yourself.
Ryan McArdle: right i understand that, so you are saying i cant use the conventional for 5k? i thought the 0W20 is simply for cafe standards?
David Rosen: Synthetic is considered superior to conventional. We allow conventional cars to upgrade to synthetic but not the other way around.
Ryan McArdle: i do not ahve anything against the synthetic, but i do a lot of short trips and i think its over kill to use it for 5,000 miles
Ryan McArdle: however, if this is what you recommend. then it shall be
David Rosen: The synthetic can be changed every 10,000 miles.
Ryan McArdle: is synthetic 5W20 ok to use? 0W20 is a little harder to find
Ryan McArdle: 10k even on short trips?
David Rosen: Yea, 10k is fine for any type of trip you take. The weights 5 v 0 affect the vehicle on start up. If you take lots of short trips sticking with the recommended would be suggested.
Ryan McArdle: ok David thank you. i appreciate this
David Rosen: Thank you. Have a good day.
Ryan McArdle: you too
David Rosen has disconnected.

probably for cafe standards. i dont think much else ^^

Automakers are required to do everything they can to ensure that the consumer is using the same lubricant that was used during fuel economy testing. I believe this is why universal oil recommendations have become so prevalent in the United States market (rather than recommending different grades dependent upon use or temperature). You could certainly continue to use 5W-20 forever in your Lexus, and it won't hurt a thing. But since it was apparently rated using 0W-20 oil, Toyota is trying to compel you to continue to use it.

I would use the syn for 10K.
UOA at 5-7K if you'd like to see how the oil is doing but i wouldn't sweat it.

all good comments guy`s. thanks. not trying to beat a dead horse. just need a little guidance ounce in a while (sanity check) if you will
smile.gif

Last edited:
The "synthetic" 0w20 meets same spec as 5w20 conventional. "Synthetic" means NOTHING.

Run the 5w20. Resource Conserving ILSAC oils, Its spec'd to BEAT a PAO benchmark.
10K on a "fake" 0w20 synthetic I don't think is wise at all.

Here's a thought, How 'bout 6-7k on Valvoline's Excellent 0w20 available at Walmart for 22-25 bucks for 5 qt jug. My Forester likes this - a cleaner oil than the all the others I've run/tried.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
The "synthetic" 0w20 meets same spec as 5w20 conventional. "Synthetic" means NOTHING.

Run the 5w20. Resource Conserving ILSAC oils, Its spec'd to BEAT a PAO benchmark.
10K on a "fake" 0w20 synthetic I don't think is wise at all.

Here's a thought, How 'bout 6-7k on Valvoline's Excellent 0w20 available at Walmart for 22-25 bucks for 5 qt jug. My Forester likes this - a cleaner oil than the all the others I've run/tried.

i would, but my wal marts (either one) doesnt sell it.

Originally Posted By: wemay
I would use the syn for 10K.
UOA at 5-7K if you'd like to see how the oil is doing but i wouldn't sweat it.

+1

You follow the manufacturer recommandations and you make sure it works in your usage pattern.

You drive many short trips and don't feel comfortable with 10k OCI even with synthetic 0W20, then you should stay with synthetic 0W20 and shorten OCI to whatever you feel comfortable with to keep new vehicle warranty. Or you can use M1 EP 0W20 with Fram Ultra oil filter and stay with 10k OCI for warranty.

I would not use conventional 5W20 with 5k OCI for warranty reason. Why spent more than $40k for the RX350 then try to save $10-15 a year on oil(equivalent to $1.50 a month which is about 1 cup of Starbuck a month).

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
a cleaner oil than the all the others I've run/tried.

Hi ARCO,
I too am a Valvoline fan but 'cleaner', how so?

OP, my suggestion. Change it yourself, get an extended drain 0w20 like Gold bottle Edge or M1 EP and run it 10k. Then UOA.

I'd bet the oil will be okay, getting close to change time but fine.

OP, if it makes you feel better to run synthetic for 5k oil changes, go right ahead! The price difference is absolutely minimal!.

You can get Mobil 1 0W-20 at Wal-Mart for around $25 for 5 quarts. PYB costs about $15 for 5 quarts so really it works out to be a $10 difference every 5,000 miles. If you drive a Lexus RX, I'm sure that 10 bucks won't be a huge deal to you
wink.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back