PCMO for Pre-WWII cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1941 Packard 120, with original straight 8, and no oil filter. I don't believe the engine has ever been out of the car. It doesn't look like the head has ever been off of it either. The clock currently shows a little over 18,000 miles. Could have rolled over 100k, but i'm not convinced it has. I've been running Delo 15-40 the past 2 or 3 OCIs, which are about 500-600 miles. Engine runs smoother on this than it did on 20-50.

I'm curious about what others are running in their pre-war vehicles? I'm really interested in other' experiences.

0408151916a.jpg

Last edited:
Back in the day the rule of thumb was non detergent in anything without an oil filter,the theory being the dirt would settle to the bottom and not travel thru the engine thanks to the detergents carrying it endlessly around.I don't think they had anything but ND back in the 40s anyway.

I can't say for pre-WWII but I ran air cooled VW's for years (no oil filter) on Delo...usually HD30 but when I lived in cooler climate I switched to 15w-40.

Originally Posted By: 41Pack
I've been running Delo 15-40 the past 2 or 3 OCIs, which are about 500-600 miles. Engine runs smoother on this than it did on 20-50.

I would think it would run even smoother on 10w-30 HDEO or high mileage.

Your owner's manual probably prohibits the use of 40 weight oil.

20w-50 was first used in the late 1950s in English cars with shared sump and gearbox.

In the 1940s in cars in good running condition they typically used straight 30 in summer, straight 20 in spring and fall, and straight 20w in winter.

Originally Posted By: Cardenio327
I've been running Delo 15-40 the past 2 or 3 OCIs, which are about 500-600 miles. Engine runs smoother on this than it did on 20-50.

I would think it would run even smoother on 10w-30 HDEO or high mileage.

Your owner's manual probably prohibits the use of 40 weight oil.

20w-50 was first used in the late 1950s in English cars with shared sump and gearbox.

In the 1940s in cars in good running condition they typically used straight 30 in summer, straight 20 in spring and fall, and straight 20w in winter.

Thanks for the feedback.

The Owners manual specs the following:
Below Minus 10 ...10W Plus 10% Kerosene
Minus 10 .........10W
Plus 10 ..........10W
Plus 32 ..........S.A.E. 30
90 or Above ......S.A.E. 40

I was thinking that one of the HM oils might be ven better than the 15-40; might try that next change.

I would definitely not use ND. I think the 15/40 that you are using is perfect. Those engines had bigger clearances, and with those OCI's I think you are fine. One must also remember that back in the 40's people were also doing valve and ring jobs after a couple thousand miles too. I think technology has changed vastly in 75 years, and engines now see the benefits of a multigrade oil over a straight weight

"Just ask the man who owns one!"
( -- famous Packard advertising slogan)

BTW, what's the model name, the script on the hood?

Absolutely beautiful car, you must take good care to keep a pre-war motor in such good condition.
I can't advise you on oil I'm afraid, other than to suggest (as another poster has) some type of filter setup.

Good luck!

My pop runs Castrol 40 weight detergent in his 1940 ford flathead V8. It runs hot by design, exhaust passing by a water jacket, and he figures it's good for it.

I'd have 15w40 in it, but that's just me. Gives the six volt starting system a little help.

Nice car! I'd consider Mobil 1 5w40 TDT, or at least do some research on it. I think it would be very well suited in that application. The Frantz tp filter is a great idea.

Have you ever dropped the oil pan? On old cars that were run on ND oils, the pan had to be dropped occasionally to scoop out the sludge.

Or, when you change the oil, does it take the correct amount of oil to fill it to the FULL mark on the dipstick? If it does, maybe the engine doesn't have sludge residing in it.

I've saw a photo of an oil pan off an old engine, and there was so much sludge in it, there was a trench in the sludge where the oil pickup tube ran.

Your car is a treasure, and very much appreciated. There is no way I would put a cheap aftermarket filter on an original classic vehicle. I respect to each their own, but IMO it will kill overall value, and would be frowned upon shall you ever consider selling. I don't think you will see tremendous benefit with 500-600 mile OCI's anyway.

Last edited:
My father knew people who put detergent engine oil in engines that never used it. It would dislodge the sludge, cover up the oil pan pickup, and starve the engine of oil.

My understanding was that if the engine had the sludge removed in advance, detergent oil was a good thing.

Many BITOG-ers are using 15w40 in engines from this era. I'm not sure how well that works.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
"Just ask the man who owns one!"
( -- famous Packard advertising slogan)

BTW, what's the model name, the script on the hood?

yes, the script on the cowl. OneTwenty.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Have you ever dropped the oil pan? On old cars that were run on ND oils, the pan had to be dropped occasionally to scoop out the sludge.

Or, when you change the oil, does it take the correct amount of oil to fill it to the FULL mark on the dipstick? If it does, maybe the engine doesn't have sludge residing in it.

I've saw a photo of an oil pan off an old engine, and there was so much sludge in it, there was a trench in the sludge where the oil pickup tube ran.

I dropped the oil pan and cleaned it well a few months back, prior to running the 15-40 in it. Previous oil was the supertech 20-50, bc I figured it wasn't too agressive on cleaning.

Originally Posted By: camperbob
Your car is a treasure, and very much appreciated. There is no way I would put a cheap aftermarket filter on an original classic vehicle. I respect to each their own, but IMO it will kill overall value, and would be frowned upon shall you ever consider selling. I don't think you will see tremendous benefit with 500-600 mile OCI's anyway.

Oil filter was a factory option for a few years, including 41. It would have only filtered about 10-15 percent, with the remaining 85-90 percent being returned directly to the pan.

I like the originality too much to add the filter, thus sticking with 500-600 oci.

Thanks!

Is the Frantz a TP oil filter?

Yes. Some of the older vehicles did really well with the Frantz oil refiners and the Marvel Mystery Oilers. Old technology, but it worked really well from what I have read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back