Sold my bike...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cherish your family while you have them. Toys can wait. Only reason I have a mc again is because I was unexpectedly widowed in 2012 and our son is college age and mostly does his own thing with peers, and so it gives me open time to go ride when I want to. And if I get taken out, our son is old enough to live his life okay he is actually marrying his fiance pretty soon and moving out into the world to star their life together.

If I could choose I would trade being 52 and single again, to be in the OP's current situation. There is no beating the prime years of family life raising your kids.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
Originally Posted By: CT8
Think about spending all the time you can with you children,they grow up fast.

That's why im not riding. Im spending all my time with my wife and children (when Im not at work)
I had to say that because my children are adults and I really beyond what I ever imagined enjoyed every second I spent with then as they were growing up. I happened way, way, way to fast.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Not sure why it has to be bike or family. My dad rode his bike, raced another and a race car and I still had plenty of dad time. When I was 8 he got me a fixed up trail 50 Honda so I could have something to be proud of and wax and wash with him on the weekend.

I get wanting to spend more time with the kids. What I don't get, is the fear of having an accident. I'm not going to go using my Motos to commute to work on the Beltway, but I'd die a slow death if I didn't have mine around for my days off and vacations. Fortunately, I live near miles of awesome roads, many of them have none, to very litle traffic, very rural. My biggest obstacle might be hitting a rogue cow or hitting some horse poop around a turn. If I had a kid, he would be on the back of my bike. It can be a family hobby.

Originally Posted By: montero1
Fortunately, I live near miles of awesome roads, many of them have none, to very litle traffic, very rural.

Yes, location certainly does play into it.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: montero1
Fortunately, I live near miles of awesome roads, many of them have none, to very litle traffic, very rural.

Yes, location certainly does play into it.

Which is 97% the reason I moved where I did. Work where you have to, live where you love to.

Life insurance...

I love seeing fathers and sons riding together. Even more so when they both do track days.

People worry to much. Life is life and stuff can and will happen.
Your best bet is to make sure whatever is thrown at you, you at least have some type of backup in place.

Personally I dislike major roads, not because of safety but because they suck to ride. I'd rather have A/C and a radio.

I'm in the DC area, its amazing how far one can go riding by using nothing but back roads.

10583985_720224031383307_1826189913958293916_n.jpg

Before my son was born I picked up life insurance as did my wife, it really had nothing to do with riding motorcycles, many things in life can kill you... I also picked up some nice pants that zip with my jacket so I now have a 2 piece suit.

Is riding to work even an option?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jeffie7

Before my son was born I picked up life insurance as did my wife, it really had nothing to do with riding motorcycles, many things in life can kill you...

That is exactly my point. Prepare for the worst, but live life to it's fullest. Thank you for stating it so succinctly, fellow Suzuki rider.

I've never understood the giving up bikes for a family thing. When my first child was born I put a sidecar on my Norton and we carried her in that, I also had a roadracing sidecar I used on the road at that time too, when she was 4 she was a passenger in my VW powered Ural outfit. When she was 3 weeks old I got a trials bike and competed in trials, off road riding, dirttrack, just my motorcycle life as normal. As a young family and mortgage, we couldn't afford 2 cars, so I carted the girls around to activities on my bikes, an XS1 or a C50 stepthrough, I commuted to work everyday on a motorcycle.

I seem to have given up trials, haven't done one for a year now. I commute 40km to work everyday rain or shine, freezing cold or stinking hot. Tomorrow the last of my 4 kids leaves home. They all know their father has always been riding a motorcycle their whole life. My wife never worries about me...except sometimes to ask about the trailer and tie downs, last time I had to call home was a couple of months ago.

First time I took out the girl I married we took a ride on my Norton Commando. After marriage bike was collateral for a new truck. 3 sons raised and out of the house...new to me Sportster in the parking spot!
Joe

I've been riding for 65 years, still do. As an MSF instructor I've taught hundreds of riders.
That said, one must chose their own poison in life, and live, not just be here for the longest time possible.
Having spent time under fire, there is a bullet out there somewhere with my name on it, I just refuse to let it determine my existence. You have to pick what is right for you. I too many times stop the bike and see the look in the eyes of men my junior who wish they had kept their passion alive.

Smoky the venerable

Life insurance...

So that whole fatherhood thing can just be replaced with some money, huh? To me it's not about the money. It's about kid growing up with a father and me enjoying being with the kid and living at least through his graduation.

Yes, many things in life can potentially kill you. It's just a matter of trying to eliminate the unnecessary risks for me. Granted, each of us has different tolerance for risk. That's fine.

Life insurance...

So that whole fatherhood thing can just be replaced with some money, huh? To me it's not about the money. It's about kid growing up with a father and me enjoying being with the kid and living at least through his graduation.

Yes, many things in life can potentially kill you. It's just a matter of trying to eliminate the unnecessary risks for me. Granted, each of us has different tolerance for risk. That's fine.

Yes, a lot of folks on here don't seem to get the idea about how having a fulfilling life....and being a father and husband....can go hand-in-hand.

I think it's fine if someone chooses to ride street bikes. They should do whatever pleases them. Maybe the ones that really want to "live life to the fullest" should take up skydiving....freehand climbing....parachute off buildings....and take "selfies" on top of the worlds tallest structures.

But....when one decides to be a father, he has other things MORE IMPORTANT THAN SELF. Life isn't about the next adrenaline rush, especially when a child needs a father around. Taking risks are certainly a personal choice. But odds are what they are and when more important responsibilities enter into the picture, a good father realizes this and takes it seriously that the needs of HIS child are number one.

That doesn't make life boring....or not "living it to the fullest".

In the end I don't care what people do...even what fathers do. I do find it odd and somewhat disappointing that those that choose to have families don't take being a parent (and doing what you can to be around for as long as possible) as important as a momentary thrill.

Last edited:
Must've been a tough decision. I couldn't live without a bike. My eldest son rides pillion with me occasionally, and loves it. One of my little girl's first words was "bike". Think the bug may've bitten her too!

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Life insurance...

Yes, a lot of folks on here don't seem to get the idea about how having a fulfilling life....and being a father and husband....can go hand-in-hand.

I think it's fine if someone chooses to ride street bikes. They should do whatever pleases them. Maybe the ones that really want to "live life to the fullest" should take up skydiving....freehand climbing....parachute off buildings....and take "selfies" on top of the worlds tallest structures.

But....when one decides to be a father, he has other things MORE IMPORTANT THAN SELF. Life isn't about the next adrenaline rush, especially when a child needs a father around. Taking risks are certainly a personal choice. But odds are what they are and when more important responsibilities enter into the picture, a good father realizes this and takes it seriously that the needs of HIS child are number one.

In the end I don't care what people do...even what fathers do. I do find it odd and somewhat disappointing that those that choose to have families don't take being a parent (and doing what you can to be around for as long as possible) as important as a momentary thrill.

You're right, NOTHING is as important as one's own family, but I don't think anyone here is saying they'd put their thrills ahead of their families...I think what they are saying is we can't live life in a protective bubble...

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: andrewg
Life insurance...

You're right, NOTHING is as important as one's own family, but I don't think anyone here is saying they'd put their thrills ahead of their families...I think what they are saying is we can't live life in a protective bubble...

I understand....but at the same time, I don't think anybody here that thinks the bike riding should be put away is saying to live in a protective bubble either.

I do think some have intimated that the thrills of bike riding are basically equal in terms of living a fulfilled life as it is to having children. They see the risks as worth taking.

That is where I personally disagree.

No biggy. People need to make the decisions that they feel are best for them.

Last edited:
Just as a father wants he children to be happy, we children want our parents to be happy. I know looking back that when I saw my old man hop off his Honda or climb out of his funny car, he had the biggest smile on his face, and that makes me feel good that he had those experiences. He worked darn hard in his life and earned them.

Most people I know that give up bikes around here when they become family men just trade the rockets in for cruisers.

Last edited:
he had the biggest smile on his face, and that makes me feel good that he had those experiences.

Eventually, I'm sure I can find some sporty weekend car that'll put a smile on my face, too.
smile.gif

Most people I know that give up bikes around here when they become family men just trade the rockets in for cruisers.

I've heard that counterintuitive argument from riders many times over the years. I always ask them how a generally heavier bike (in some cases far heavier), with worse handling, braking and acceleration, thus less able to avoid an accident in the first place, is somehow safer?

I've owned a couple cruisers, and ridden many more. They offer a different riding experience than Sportbikes, which sometimes is exactly what people want. But I'd never consider them safer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back