UOA 2007 John Deere 2305 57 hrs

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is from a friend's John Deere subcompact. It sees weekly mowing in the summer and snow plowing in the colder months. I'd guess this is probably the second half of the summer plus winter plowing. It's stored in a heated garage and doesn't see any cold starts. Nothing exciting here. He didn't get TBN.

I suggested just changing it every fall after the mowing season and annually or to a maximum of 100 hours.

Enjoy.

opDNM44.png

What is the OCI on this unit? Looks like this should be greatly extended. On their larger engines OCI is 500 hrs. with their Plus 50 II .
I use this lube across several different applications, without issues, and have no problem going 500 hrs. where its called for. I also use it in my diesel trucks along with industrial gasoline engines, flat head Fords and Chryslers.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
What is the OCI on this unit? Looks like this should be greatly extended. On their larger engines OCI is 500 hrs. with their Plus 50 II .
I use this lube across several different applications, without issues, and have no problem going 500 hrs. where its called for. I also use it in my diesel trucks along with industrial gasoline engines, flat head Fords and Chryslers.

I agree about extending it. I'll ask him what the manual says for OCI and let you know.

A little birdie told my that Imperial OIL is
the supplier for JD engine oils in Canada.

The above UOA looks a lot like the Delvac 1300
15W40 Canadian blend.

109/14.65/4.3 CJ-4/SM

When Exxon married Mobil, Imperial (ESSO) was
the bonus so the other two could learn how to
make synthetic engine oil properly.

ESSO XD-3 0W40.
Gone, but not forgotten.

Being a 2007 it's probably not in warranty, so following the OEM schedule is not a requirement now.

If he's going to use UOAs, then he should use them for their proper intent. Since this one UOA shows excellent wear rates, then a slow, methodical extension of the OCIs can be prudent here.

If this is 200 hours, then I'd extend the next OCI to 300 miles and sample again, etc, etc.

Or, why not sample and only OCI when warranted? Don't commit to changing oil and then just decide to sample as an afterthought. Sample first, then see what the data tells you! In this case, perfectly good oil was dumped.

This UOA is only 57 hours. He just did that to check for problems. His annual use is only that much, and I don't see him going multiple years on an OCI. Could he go four years to hit the 200 hours? Sure. It won't happen though.

At 3.4 qt capacity, four quarts of this JD stuff costs $16.

It's just some data to share. Cheers.

Yanmar engines are pretty robust and generally last forever. Nothing wrong with the lube he's using, but he could probably get any CJ-4 on sale and be fine.

And, if he's going to OCI annually, then there is zero logic to the UOAs. Just change oil and be done with it. The only reason to do a UOA is if he suspected a contamination intrustion and needed to confirm it. Otherwise it's a waste given what you've told us. You mentioned he was checking for problems; what was it he was looking for?

Last edited:
I think he was just looking for some piece of mind as his tractor hits its eighth year.

And, you're right: he could buy a $10 gallon of store brand 15w-40 instead of $16 in JD oil. For the extra six bucks, he gets to support the local dealer and has an excuse to look at tractors. No harm done.

Bandito,

I have an '07 JD 2305 myself. While your buddy is checking the OM for data on the oil change interval, have him check the viscosity data as well. He'll find that JD recommends only two grades of HDEO based on ambient temperatures: 5W-30 and 10W-30. Of course, he can use anything he wants. . . . Here in Hawaii I use 10W-30 Delo year-round.

Originally Posted By: marco246
Bandito,

I have an '07 JD 2305 myself. While your buddy is checking the OM for data on the oil change interval, have him check the viscosity data as well. He'll find that JD recommends only two grades of HDEO based on ambient temperatures: 5W-30 and 10W-30. Of course, he can use anything he wants. . . . Here in Hawaii I use 10W-30 Delo year-round.

Thanks for the reply. Here's what I found from John Deere for oil recommendations. I think he's happy with the JD oil, and it looks good from the UOA. Since its garaged and never sees a cold start, I think he'll probably stick with that.

u6nvtGO.jpg

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
I think he was just looking for some piece of mind as his tractor hits its eighth year.

And, you're right: he could buy a $10 gallon of store brand 15w-40 instead of $16 in JD oil. For the extra six bucks, he gets to support the local dealer and has an excuse to look at tractors. No harm done.

OK - this is where I differ from other people.

No harm done? I disagree. He's wasting money on lube and UOAs.

Unless he has a LEGITIMATE

I guess this is where I disagree with many folks ...

There is harm done. It's wasteful. Waste of money; waste of info. Pays more than one needs to for a lube, then pays for a UOA and ignores what it tells him.

Unless he truly suspected a contamination issue (coolant disappearing at a high rate; torn air filter discovered, etc), then a singular UOA really has no ability to add any value here. He confirmed what he likely already suspected, and had no reason to suspect otherwise, right? So what does he do from here?
- if he intends to UOA every year, then the data is telling him he can greatly extend the OCIs, and quite likely use a lesser cost CJ-4
- if he does not intend to UOA every year, then what does this UOA represent in risk avoidance that skipping future UOAs would not represent the same risks being present? For what reason would he use other methods of observation as trustworthy, but only every once in a while "need" a UOA?

The purpose of doing UOAs is two-fold:
1) track the lube health directly
2) track the equipment health indirectly

If you only use UOAs as toys, then you're wasting money. Paying for a UOA which shows the LUBE can be extended, and that the equipment is fine, is a total waste if you do NOT intend to extend the OCI, and only get UOAs on a infrequent basis whereas all other indicators show no signs of equipment concern.

Hence, waste is harm, at least where I come from. Now, I do understand that waste can be "fun" for a lack of a better term. Wasting money on a passion can result in emotional satisfaction that is difficult to quantify, but is sensed in terms of "happiness". I get that; I even do that. But let's not pretend that there is no harm done here, because how one defines "harm" means a great deal to how we interpret this topic. Generally, I'd like to think that we're going to apply science and logic to a thread that is about UOAs, as a UOA does not have a column for "emotional pleasure level" next to the vis, FP or soot. Therefore, the reason to do a UOA is to learn from it.

Perhaps, to be fair all around, it would be more accurate to state "No emotional harm done, as he does not mind wasting money to feel better about it." That I would have no objection to.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3

I guess this is where I disagree with many folks ...

There is harm done. It's wasteful. Waste of money; waste of info. Pays more than one needs to for a lube, then pays for a UOA and ignores what it tells him.

Unless he truly suspected a contamination issue (coolant disappearing at a high rate; torn air filter discovered, etc), then a singular UOA really has no ability to add any value here. He confirmed what he likely already suspected, and had no reason to suspect otherwise, right? So what does he do from here?
- if he intends to UOA every year, then the data is telling him he can greatly extend the OCIs, and quite likely use a lesser cost CJ-4
- if he does not intend to UOA every year, then what does this UOA represent in risk avoidance that skipping future UOAs would not represent the same risks being present? For what reason would he use other methods of observation as trustworthy, but only every once in a while "need" a UOA?

The purpose of doing UOAs is two-fold:
1) track the lube health directly
2) track the equipment health indirectly

If you only use UOAs as toys, then you're wasting money. Paying for a UOA which shows the LUBE can be extended, and that the equipment is fine, is a total waste if you do NOT intend to extend the OCI, and only get UOAs on a infrequent basis whereas all other indicators show no signs of equipment concern.

Hence, waste is harm, at least where I come from. Now, I do understand that waste can be "fun" for a lack of a better term. Wasting money on a passion can result in emotional satisfaction that is difficult to quantify, but is sensed in terms of "happiness". I get that; I even do that. But let's not pretend that there is no harm done here, because how one defines "harm" means a great deal to how we interpret this topic. Generally, I'd like to think that we're going to apply science and logic to a thread that is about UOAs, as a UOA does not have a column for "emotional pleasure level" next to the vis, FP or soot. Therefore, the reason to do a UOA is to learn from it.

Perhaps, to be fair all around, it would be more accurate to state "No emotional harm done, as he does not mind wasting money to feel better about it." That I would have no objection to.

I agree, but all manufacturers put the caveat in the owners manual "or one year", which many of us have proven through UOA to be hogwash. This UOA has shown that this interval can be extended greatly yet the owner refused to believe what the data showed him.

I try to use my fluids to their fullest extent, the Deere fluids are top shelf, designed for extended use, quite honestly using a fluid designed for extended intervals and dumping it extremely early is wasteful.

Holy mackerel, I hadn't expected to encounter such unhappiness. He was just checking his tractor for problems, and I see no harm in that. The $25 he sent to Blackstone was for that purpose, and he got what he paid for.

I only meant to share a friend's data. If it's that upsetting, kindly delete the thread, as I don't want to cause any further trauma.

Holy mackerel, I hadn't expected to encounter such unhappiness. He was just checking his tractor for problems, and I see no harm in that. The $25 he sent to Blackstone was for that purpose, and he got what he paid for.

I only meant to share a friend's data. If it's that upsetting, kindly delete the thread, as I don't want to cause any further trauma.
Don't delete it-it looks good, as I always say, it's HIS money! Shame he's so far away, I'd take his old oil & use it in my F-450, but he can go a LOT further on that oil, those Yanmars are tough engines, likely to outlive all of us!

This thread saved me $20.
The JD dealer, (Enns in Brandon, Manitoba)
told me that I should use only JD oil in
my little 22 hp 320X.
And that their JD oil is superior to the ESSO brand
that Imperial Oil blends for themselves.

Now that I can see what is basically a VOA....
Just like all the other private label engine oils,
the hype and price does not make the product better.

They can keep their overpriced oil filters too.

Originally Posted By: used_0il
my little 22 hp 320X.

John Deere has a decent house brand oil however it's nonsense to believe it's some kind of magic elixir.
Esso is exxonmobil. That means the esso hdeo product is rebadged devlac.
Enough said

Originally Posted By: used_0il
my little 22 hp 320X.

Well hopefully you weren't using the Plus 50 in your 320X as its not needed unless you have the diesel version. Their TurfGard line is very good oil designed for gasoline powered lawnmowers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back