Scion TC Reliability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The lease on my rav4 is coming to an end in a few months.

I now understand it was a dumb thing to do, anyways I have about 12k in cash to buy a car.

I am only looking at Toyota/Honda and their various brands.

I keep coming across the Scion TC. Seems like a loaded toyota with a sunroof.

Many with somewhat low mileage are 10 grand. Trying to steer clear of the ones that were given to a 18 year old kid, and they made it look weird. Stock looking please.

Do you guys know of any issues with the 2.4L engine, or anything else about these cars?

I just need a car to drive to and from work from, and pay cash for it.

Thanks,
JH6

The 1st generation tC is a decent and quiet car(I am assuming that you are looking for 1st GEN?).

Those whom I know with the 1st GEN tC have very good success with their vehicle though, many complain of oil consumption in the 2.4L. Often as much as 1qt of oil in 600 miles. And even though this is the same engine as the Camry(samy gen engine 2.4), the Camry's don't seem to have the same oil consumption issue.

I even have a buddy and his daughter who each have said vehicles('05 Camry/'07 tC) and this is also their experience...the tC uses oil! No leaks to be found but, it seems to be an internet wide conversation about the tC using oil.

With over 120K-130K miles, the tC has been very reliable in their household otherwise!

Others whom I know(my niece) has an '08 tC and oil consumption is present but, not an issue as they stay on top of it between OCI's. I believe they mentioned that their consumption is ~ 1qt/2K mikes. And this tC is reliable as well otherwise!

Keep searching and looking for decent tC's in your price range. If you are ONLY looking for decent reliable transportation(& aren't concerned about style), look into a Toyota Yaris. VERY RELIABLE And Good MPG!

Last edited:
Going from a RAV4 you might be pretty happy with a Honda Fit... Mine is almost 5 years old and I still love it like the day I bought it.

But they are becoming a classic small Honda now, so they are pretty $$$$$

Is a Scion TC going to come anywhere close to the practicality of a Rav4?

If you just need a car to drive to and from work, there's many Yaris, Corolla Accord, Civic out there just waiting to have another 100K put on them.

Actually, depending on which Rav4 you had, the tC shared the same 2.4 and 2.5 powerplants. If it is the 2.4, there is a minor oil burning issue but it varies. Toyota did do an extended warranty. Otherwise the only real issue with the tC is that it is too soft to be a "sporty" car. So the issue would be the same as your Matrix.

It is a interesting used car. Corollas, Civics, and such are likely going to find a better premium in the used market. I would avoid the Fit...I had a 2009 and was not thrilled with it. Harsh ride and I could feel the tranny becoming weak. Too much of a premium for Fits in the used market compared to new.

If you want a simple commuter, and interesting option if you don't mind 2 seats is the Honda CRZ. The used market has not been kind for the non-a-hypermiling-hybrid, not-a-sportscar so low-mileage options are very reasonable despite the Honda badge.

Last edited:
I think it depends on the type of ride you're after. I, personally, am going through a bit of an "identity crisis" in terms of not completely enjoying the comfort of my daily driver. The CR-V has a pretty firm ride (even at 100k miles). Its handling limits are far beyond the reaches that I explore, and I'm not sure I want to take the ride penalty anymore. Ask yourself similar questions as you test-drive cars. "Will I like this long term?" The engine and transmission in a tC should be fine. The better question, in my mind, is, "is this car a good fit for me?" If so, then go for it.

Everyone forgets the Mitsubishi Lancer.
The past gen Kia Forte was best in class compact IMHO.
I too would avoid the FIT, way overprice for an entry car with 1.5L bad engine design and garbage front strut suspension.Also forget sentra and Versa due to engine and trans issues.
Move up to a nice compact for 1000 bucks more or maybe 1000 bucks less!

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
The past gen Kia Forte was best in class compact IMHO.
I too would avoid the FIT, way overprice for an entry car with 1.5L bad engine design and garbage front strut suspension.Also forget sentra and Versa due to engine and trans issues.
Move up to a nice compact for 1000 bucks more or maybe 1000 bucks less!

I'm assuming the OP will only considor a Toyota or Honda because he worries too much about reliability.

Last edited:

That's because Mitsubishi makes terrible cars!

Anyway, as far as I can tell a tC is really just a 2 door hatchback version of the Camry (for the most part). Given the typical tC clientele, I would expect that any used tC to be driven hard and I personally wouldn't pay much for one. A new one should be fine.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Too much of a premium for Fits in the used market compared to new.

^^Agreed^^

Too bad the OP doesn't live here, for $273 more he could buy a brand new Fit.

2015 Fit "Cool" 6 spd. manual

$12,273 US Dollars out the door, all taxes paid except plates and registration.

I paid about $12,700 out the door for my 2009 Fit LX 6 years ago when the Fit base was going for $15,275 plus sales tax in the states.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I would expect that any used tC to be driven hard and I personally wouldn't pay much for one. A new one should be fine.

^^Exactly^^

TC owners are probably much more likely than Camry owners to:

Use 20w-50 racing oil because it is "the chingdiggity"

Skip oil changes

Lug engine with manual transmission for "moar mpg's"

Drive around at 6,000 rpm because it sounds sick

Same engine, but different results in different but mechanically similar cars.

Kind of like Mitsubishi, the cars themselves aren't especially bad, just Mitsubishi has targeted sub-prime buyers who destroy the cars for so many years that they have developed a terrible reputation.

tC owners around here are more of the former Golf Cabriolet owners... which you would have to peel the pink "Carolina Girl" sticker off the back. The most work you would have to do is get the 6 pounds of glitter out of the armrest.

And I got my wifes fit (Sport w/ AT) for Under 12,600 (Nwew... but that was the cash-for clunkers program in 2009. Traded it for just under $11K

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx

That's because Mitsubishi makes terrible cars!

+1
crackmeup2.gif

A close friend of mine was a Mitsu fanboi for years (owned an 08 Evo, and some sort of SUV in the early 2010's). Both were terribly in terms of reliability. Both were purchased new and babied (he has a very well paying job).

Moved up to a 2015 Odyssey and never looked back. Totally loves it

Originally Posted By: Cardenio327

Kind of like Mitsubishi, the cars themselves aren't especially bad, just Mitsubishi has targeted sub-prime buyers who destroy the cars for so many years that they have developed a terrible reputation.

I beg to differ. Ever look at any recent reviews of their cars? Talk about bottom of the barrel.

There's a reason why they don't sell well and it's not because of reputation either (like Hyundai who's trying to do better continually).

Make sure the form works for you.

It is a really boring car(for something "sporty") and IMHO interior lower quality then a regular Toyota.

Cool, other cars considered was the Solara, or the Avalon.

I just wonder about that V6 that Toyota put in a few cars, I think it is the 3.3L.

A toyota using oil is not something I would want.

Our 1.8L matrix does not use a drop of oil.

My main goal for a car is something large enough for me to drive, I am 6'5''.

I fit pretty ok in a Honda Civic for some reason, also my wife's matrix I fit ok in that also.

Also something cheap 10-12k that I can pay cash for and have zero car payments.

I have an 06 TC. Got it with 11k on it and it now has almost 120k.

Only issues I have had are with brakes...had my rear calipers stick twice(slider pins).

Other than that I have just made sure to run good oil in it, change it regularly at 5k. I also service the trans ever 30k with every other time doing a filter change. Toyota says it is a lifetime fill, but it is not.

My family used to own a used dealership and we sold off-lease TC's. Most of them were 20-30k miles cars with moderate-heavy uses from NY/NJ/Philly area. We have not had any complaints ever and no issues with reliability. Yet, we were very conservative in selecting them for our inventory.

I actually liked manual TC and was considering it to purchase for my private commute. So I took one of the cars for an extended test drive. I drove the car for 3 months and got very tired of it. Some interior ergonomics did not work for me. Windows were fogging in the rain, heater was OK but not great, A/C struggled at times and some other engineering misses. My biggest personal concern with it was highway noise and very high RPMs at 75-80 mph. Automatic cars did not have the noise issue but I did not like the auto and only considered the manual. I did not buy the car and moved to get a Subaru Impreza WRX. Really like my Subaru.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back