Valvetrain pics - 2001 Acura

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MobilinHyundia
http://rs1375.pbsrc.com/albums/ag444/mirageless/2009Sonataengine-150000kms_zps93e6b176.jpg~320x480

Using Amsoil Signiture 0W20 or 5W20 doing 15 000 mile oci.

WOW! Looks like it was just built!

Another win for Team Amsoil! Love the stuff.

You gotta be putting us on! That has to be a new engine you got pictures of. lol.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Kool1
I have 172,000 miles on my CRV with a diet of synthetic since new and my cam lobes don't look as nice as yours. Do you warm your car up before you drive?

This is exactly what I was thinking. The cam lobes on my K24 equipped Accord have a darker line running down the middle of them. It has 128,4XX ish miles.
CAM004391_zps0be35626.jpg

CAM004321_zpsdfdc8738.jpg

Originally Posted By: Quest
why?! No boutique oils like RP or Amsoil in them?

j/k folks. It's practically looking like new, so enjoy and keep doing what you've been doing (oil-change wise).

Q.

Yup, won't change a thing. Amsoil and other high end oil would be a waste in my car.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Looks fantastic. A nice tight timing belt and regular oil changes like you've been doing will ensure 300K+ miles for that engine.

Yup, the old timing belt had 85k on it and looks like it can re-sold. It was still nice and tight.

I have 172,000 miles on my CRV with a diet of synthetic since new and my cam lobes don't look as nice as yours. Do you warm your car up before you drive?

I always warm up my car 30secs to a minute. Never drive off right away. Not sure how valid this is but i think that WOT keeps the engine clean and running really well. I WOT a few times per gas tank.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
That really was a great engine. The rest of the car sort of self-destructed around it, but the engine is a gem!

Not sure what you mean by self-destructed.
Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Looks great! Cleaner than my B18 was when I pulled the valve cover off of my old '95 Integra back in 2007 when it had around 120k on it. The previous owner changed it every 5,000 miles with whatever conventional the dealership used (bulk 5W-30). I did the same for the next 100,000 miles, except usually with a synthetic instead.

Just for fun, here was mine at 120k with the 5k conventional changes:
integravalvetrain_zpsace7c266.jpg

These are fantastic engines. Long life, peppy and very fuel efficient.

Last edited:
My experience in the junkyard of taking off valve covers from hundreds of honda B series and K series one thing I've noticed is that B18's and B20s always seem slightly cleaner under the valve cover than K series even though its an older engine series. I'm not sure how that applies to cam lobe wear just thought I would mention it.

I believe the valve springs on the K series engines are stiffer and mark up the cam lobes. The VTEC probably requires stiffer valve springs to prevent valve float at high rpms.

garlicbread, your engine appears majestic and likely at the optimum change interval to remain at an efficient, healthy operation. Just broken in.

I believe the valve springs on the K series engines are stiffer and mark up the cam lobes. The VTEC probably requires stiffer valve springs to prevent valve float at high rpms.

Originally Posted By: wing0
Seems like K series put more wear on the cam lobes.

Here's my K20 at 170k km on synthetic 5W20 changed according to MM.
20131013_152641.jpg

K series Honda engines all use roller style followers in the valve train. This is much smoother and causes less wear. Most B series engines use the old style flat tappet valvetrains that wear down over time especially after the mandate of lower zinc content in engine oil. So if anything K series have much less wear in the valve train, but I think the roller bearings leave a slight indentation on the cam lobe and the non roller B series cam lobes are shiny because of the stressful bearing less metal to metal contact.

I would like to take some pictures of my CRV's K24 this spring when I get around to replacing the valve stem seals. From the oil fill cap, the valve-train looks pristine, besides the typical slight varnish on the oil fill baffle. My K24 also has the 'normal' scuffing on the cam lobes, already there before I installed the bypass filter setup.

Originally Posted By: Challenger71
garlicbread, your engine appears majestic and likely at the optimum change interval to remain at an efficient, healthy operation. Just broken in.

Thanks. Routine oil changes, minimum 30 second warmups, drive gently until 185c and some WOT has been my driving style since buying this car. That's my not so secret routine
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: zpinch
I would like to take some pictures of my CRV's K24 this spring when I get around to replacing the valve stem seals. From the oil fill cap, the valve-train looks pristine, besides the typical slight varnish on the oil fill baffle. My K24 also has the 'normal' scuffing on the cam lobes, already there before I installed the bypass filter setup.

Why do you have to replace the valve stem so early? Make sure to post pics!

Last edited:
Garlicbread, i am not sure, i found shortly after i bought it last year that the seal(s) are gone. I have some performance viton units going in and yes i will post pics. I am guessing that the oil the previous owner used was not good for seals. Other than that, its in great condition.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
THAT is what an engine should look like. Prime example.

Which one are you referring to? I see massive varnish and wear in all of the Honda pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back