2009 Ford 6.4 Powerstroke Shell Rotella T 15/40

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new 2009 ford 6.4 Powerstroke with 243,000 KM and an oil sample after 3000 kms on it. This is my first sample taken with Shell Rotella T 15/40 and an Amsoil Dual Gard bypass system installed. I'm happy with the results and will take another sample in 10,000 Km. Here's the sample:

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brons2
I would run it to 12,000 km and recheck. 8.2 is very strong TBN. Wear metals are infintesimal.

Thanks, I'll give that a go and see how it is. I'm planning extended oil change intervals and proceeding slowly with this 6.4 Powerstroke.
smile.gif

Get your DPF cleaned every 160,000 km, that is the achilles' heel of the 6.4. Better yet remove it or have it gutted and get a chip that reprograms the engine to not dump all that fuel in the two back cylinders to regen the DPF.

Check out PowerStrokeHelp on YouTube, he has some great videos and advice about all the different Powerstrokes.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Get your DPF cleaned every 160,000 km, that is the achilles' heel of the 6.4. Better yet remove it or have it gutted and get a chip that reprograms the engine to not dump all that fuel in the two back cylinders to regen the DPF.

Check out PowerStrokeHelp on YouTube, he has some great videos and advice about all the different Powerstrokes.

Thanks, I've removed the DPF/Cat/EGR and installed an Amsoil Dual Gard bypass system to help me get this Powerstroke to live longer:) I've watched almost every video bill produced on the 6.4 ltr and it's short comings before I bought and modified the truck. As I tell my friends I'm trying to get it as reliable as my 93 5.9 ltr Cummins with 390,000 kms. Because of the poor reputation of the 6.4 Powerstroke I was able to get a very good deal on the truck:) I hope it doesn't prove me wrong.lol P.S. If it does leave bits on the highway I may be forced to upgrade the engine to this:) Detroit 4-53T with Jakes that's still waiting for a home.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhM0563drn8

Last edited:
A Detroit 4-53 is a cute engine for a half ton, but will not provide enough torque for an HD truck to do work. And whatever torque it does make, you will have to rev it high to get it. Plus you'll most likely have to use ether to get it started below freezing, especially on the turbo models as they are harder to start due to lower compression. And all Detroits leak like a sieve.

It does however make glorious noise and a lot of it, if that's your thing. And you could probably get 25mpg crusing on the highway around 1800 rpms or so.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Looks good. Extend and sample. Sample first, then decide if the OCI is warranted.

Thanks, I'll most likely get another sample in 12-14000KMs and see how it looks.

Do you know the history on the truck? I am curious if the engine has the original rocker arms?

Originally Posted By: slowmans
Do you know the history on the truck? I am curious if the engine has the original rocker arms?

I have no history on the truck, but did a very thorough inspection on it before I bought it. Engine and drive line are in good shape and has not been abused, weather or not it's the same engine I can't say. I got a really good price on the truck as it had high KM's on it and with the reputation of the 6.4, I was able to get the price down substantially. There's no valve train noise at all, so all is good for the mean time. I'll be having a look at the rockers in the future as with 240,000 KM that's about when they start to show wear. If I do keep the truck long term (20 years or so) I'll be getting another 6.4 Powerstroke from a wreck and keeping that as a back up. I still have a rebuilt 1960 OM621 from my first car that I never used, been holding on to that now for over 25 years:) Someday I'll get around to finding a home for it. That's a whole other topic though.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back