Can i use 89 midgrade gas in my car? Shell or BP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 1988 nissan 200sx 3.0 v6 with 100k miles and it says to put 87 regular unleaded but would it be ok if i run 89 midgrade in it? wouldnt it help it run better and keep things clean since its a older car? Also which is better shell or bp?

Your car probably won't run better on 89 if it was designed to run on regular. Using a Top-Tier fuel such as Shell or BP regular should keep the fuel injectors and intake valves fairly clean as it is. If I were you I would stick with whatever makes you comfortable doing. You could run regular and once in a while fill up on Shell 93 V-Power if you really want a high detergent level in your gasoline. Both brands are good quality but I would go with Shell if I could only have one brand.

Last edited:
The only time I have ever run 89 was with an '82 Dodge that pinged on 87. Otherwise there really isn't significant performance increase with it.

Shell or BP 87 is already really great stuff, the few extra pennies for the 89 might be worthwhile for you extra detergents.

It certainly won't hurt anything but your wallet... It used to be 10 cents more than 87 but now some midgrade fuel is 20 cents more than regular.

Originally Posted By: boostedtsiawd
I have 1988 nissan 200sx 3.0 v6 with 100k miles and it says to put 87 regular unleaded but would it be ok if i run 89 midgrade in it? wouldnt it help it run better and keep things clean since its a older car? Also which is better shell or bp?

Unless 87 Octane results in timing being retarded you have nothing or nothing much to gain from higher Octane fuel. Some cars will yield marginally better gas mileage with higher than required 0ctane fuel, but probably not enough to offset the additional cost. As far as BP or Shell, I refuse to buy fuel from the reincarnation of the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company for political reasons.

All grades may not be top tier.
Quote:
Shell V-Power is our most technically advanced gasoline. It contains our highest octane gasoline as well as the highest concentration of our patented Shell Nitrogen Enriched Cleaning System. With five times the cleaning agents required by federal standards, Shell V-Power cleans up performance-robbing gunk even faster than Shell Regular grade gasoline in both conventional and modern, direct injection engines.

Depending on the engine the ECM may allow for more timing advance raising power levels, try it and check the fuel economy over a few tankfuls drive the car as you always do.
You may find the cost per tank for the miles driven is a wash.

Originally Posted By: Koz1
Google says higher octane = Higher HP from this engine.

If it was only that simple!

Smoky

You can run 87,89, or 93 octane in it. You may, that is may, get better cleaning with the 93 octane fuel. The engine was designed to run on 87 so there is not any good chance it will run any better on the higher octane fuel. About the only difference is your wallet will be a little lighter.

Now on the other hand, if you have an engine that is designed to run on 93 and you put in 87, you will have an engine that pings, possible predetonation, and probably will not run as designed due to the fuel.

Now I have been in a pinch before where I could not get premium fuel for the Harley and have put in regular. It did not die or run terrible. It kept on going and I put in some premium fuel down the road. But I could not really tell much difference between the two fuels and it is not really a really high performance engine.

Let us know what you do and what you think

89 and 91 just has a higher octane; in most cases, it does not have any more detergents than regular 87 octane gasoline.

I'm not sure what the ignition system was capable of, but like others have said, there is a very small chance you will see an increase in fuel economy from the higher octane gas as it can advance the timing more.

Use regular unless you have a ping higher octane sometimes causes carbon and then your compression over time will increase and you will always need it due to pinging, although that engine is not bad that way. In some cases with some vehicles you may get slightly better fuel economy, very slightly. I do this on some of mine

General rule of thumb is that engines specd for "Regular" or 87 octane can burn anything without issue. Vehicles specd for "Supreme" should only use high octane fuels.

I generally dont use 89 octane. It is either 87 or V-Power. As for the BP/Shell argument, Shell is the only way to go! Good lucK!

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
You can run 87,89, or 93 octane in it. You may, that is may, get better cleaning with the 93 octane fuel. The engine was designed to run on 87 so there is not any good chance it will run any better on the higher octane fuel. About the only difference is your wallet will be a little lighter.

Now on the other hand, if you have an engine that is designed to run on 93 and you put in 87, you will have an engine that pings, possible predetonation, and probably will not run as designed due to the fuel.

Now I have been in a pinch before where I could not get premium fuel for the Harley and have put in regular. It did not die or run terrible. It kept on going and I put in some premium fuel down the road. But I could not really tell much difference between the two fuels and it is not really a really high performance engine.

Let us know what you do and what you think
Not if the engine has a knock sensor.

Depending on location, the mid grade could be a 87 gas with 10% ethanol, bringing it to 89. While their 87 at the pump is an 85 gas with 10% ethanol blend. It is argued by some, that using the better quality 87 gas in the blend is more beneficial than using the 85 gas in the blend. Supposedly the 87 gas is of higher quality. I really have no dog in that hunt, but many folks use 89 mid grade based on that reasoning.

meh, too much talk over just a few bucks. (Depends how much of an price increase in the OP's area)

If I were OP, if it scratches an itch, just run like a few tanks of midgrade.
Say go through 60 gallons at $3 vs $3.10.
That's like a difference of $180 vs $186 of fuel.

Switch back through 2 tanks of regular.
Let the results speak for themselves. Notice/feel anything different?
If you even "feel" better about it, it's worth the $6 in emotional relief

Last edited:
If you are worried about fuel system cleanliness, use a concentrated gasoline additive with a high PEA content.

As for fuel efficiency with higher octane, it depends on engine design and computer programming. The ignition timing may be advanced, based on knock sensor readings. The computer may be limited on how far the timing can be advanced, and in those cases, you will not benefit from octane above what is mentioned in the owner's manual.

My mom had a 1985 Nissan Maxima with the same engine. She only used 87 octane, and the engine seemed to run fine using only 87 octane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back