What's so special about Amsoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Boomer
MLM kind of works like the VAT (Value Added Tax) in Europe. Every time somthing changes hands, 17% is added. So manufacturerto wholesaler, wholsaler to distributor, distributor to retailer, retalier to you. Every time 17% is added to the selling price. Pretty soon the stuff is more than twice what it would be without the tax. Same goes for MLM. Every time it changes hands, a "taste of the agte" is added to the price so that person gets his share. Soon you are paying double as well.

Except that's not how Amsoil works.

What you're describing is called a pyramid scheme.

TBH I haven't had much luck with Amsoil products. Put it in the transmission and it whined, put it in my friend's transmission and it leaks, put it in my friend's volvo 740 and it won't stop ticking, and it leaks. Put it in my friend's beemer and it leaks. Put it in my car and it's tough to get into gear until the trans warms up. Put it in another one of my cars and the piston slap is a noisy bugger.

I'm sure it has it's place, I just haven't had much luck with it

Originally Posted By: Boomer
MLM kind of works like the VAT (Value Added Tax) in Europe. Every time somthing changes hands, 17% is added. So manufacturerto wholesaler, wholsaler to distributor, distributor to retailer, retalier to you. Every time 17% is added to the selling price. Pretty soon the stuff is more than twice what it would be without the tax. Same goes for MLM. Every time it changes hands, a "taste of the agte" is added to the price so that person gets his share. Soon you are paying double as well.

Not that simple..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value-added_tax

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Nayov
Avoid the dealer/MLM [censored] and buy it from NAPA, and I'm sure other places sell it OTC, too.

What's the difference if a dealer gets the cut or NAPA gets the cut? I would just buy from a place that's most convenient for me.

The dealers tend to be an odious lot...it's analogous going through the self-serve lane vs. a cashier at checkout.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Hello, MLM = ?

Maxlife Lithium Molybdenum
laugh.gif

Amsoil's top tier oils typically have a very stout add pack as well as a basestock blend that's heavy in Grp IV.
A check of UOAs here as well as the comprehensive PDS Amsoil provides confirms this.
Amsoil isn't cheap, but there are other oils that are priced about the same or higher that lack the quantifiable advantages of SSO.
I've never used Amsoil, although I do have sixteen quarts of SSO 0W-20 that I'll run in something sooner or later.
Amsoil's SSO products do appear to be a cut above anything you'll find on the shelf at Walmart, but they're also priced at a level above those oils.
OTOH, there are oils out there with far less to offer that are on the shelf at Walmart at ridiculous prices.
They're dyed purple.

I Never used it. Some like it my belief is that every oil can get condensation and other impurities from day to day service. I use a good oil sometimes synthetic but i won't ever spend over $21.00 for 5 quart jug of syn. If any oil is so much better than something else they would advertise it exactly like that without getting sued.

If you get stuck at the side of the road, you can probably use it in your gearbox.

That's why they 4 ball everything isn't it ?

To tell you that it's better than other engine oils in your gearbox ???

In my opinion, there are other oils out there as good as Amsoil. But I think their ATF and SVG gear oil are a notch above the other high end lubricants.

I do not like the entire MLM concept.

Your inner consumerism thinks more money means better product, so you feel like your doing good job.

I mean really amosil vs mobil1 you pay 3x ( shipping + product) compared to walmarts 26 dollar price.... you would expect their has to be something special in there, right?

Full synth from any reputable brand will perform similarly. You want to pay 2x for 10-20% better performance, its your choice. I would reduce OCI and call it a win instead of basically giving the CEO of amsoil money for downpayment on his new corvette.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Amsoil's top tier oils typically have a very stout add pack as well as a basestock blend that's heavy in Grp IV.
A check of UOAs here as well as the comprehensive PDS Amsoil provides confirms this.
Amsoil isn't cheap, but there are other oils that are priced about the same or higher that lack the quantifiable advantages of SSO.
I've never used Amsoil, although I do have sixteen quarts of SSO 0W-20 that I'll run in something sooner or later.
Amsoil's SSO products do appear to be a cut above anything you'll find on the shelf at Walmart, but they're also priced at a level above those oils.
OTOH, there are oils out there with far less to offer that are on the shelf at Walmart at ridiculous prices.
They're dyed purple.

Of course the token shot at royal purple.

I used Amsoil exclusively for over a decade. Their top tier stuff is great and quality is excellent.
My only real issue is cost per mile and I just can't justify paying 15 bucks a quart retail when my interval gets capped at 10000 miles and any of the majors top shelf stuff will handle that interval and I can find jugs on sale for under 30 bucks.
It cuts my cost per oil change more than 50% to run the same interval.
I know they say 25000 miles however I won't just jump into that type of interval without some kind of assurance so a used oil analysis would be required and that's 30 bucks which adds to the total cost,and considering jugs can be had for that same 30 bucks I can't justify spending that money on a test when I can change the oil.
Lack of formal certifications is also a drawback and though I am confident that the product is good quality there's just no excuse for not having genuine certifications and approvals and not that meets or exceeds nonsense.
I got a ton of Amsoil at a garage sale years ago and I'm currently using it in my truck. So I have no concerns about quality I just can't justify the cost.

Originally Posted By: LX289
I thought they had really good levels of Moly which isn't found in other other oils. I could be wrong though.

They just started using moly in the past few years. Before that they actually had a large write up that warned against moly and explained why they didn't use it.

As far as moly is concerned shell and mobil have the best version of it available and they aren't sharing,and that's why their moly levels are lower when compared to other brands however their version is more effective so they don't need as much.

Originally Posted By: lawnguy
What's really so special about Amsoil synthetic oil, compared to Mobil 1,etc ?

It lubricates your wallet....
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: lawnguy
What's really so special about Amsoil synthetic oil, compared to Mobil 1,etc ?

The price, you pay extra for the name and feeling of helping out a smaller company. IMO quality isn't really any better than any of the majors.

Oil failures are almost non-existent these days. Any OTC oil will take a good gas engine farther than the rest of the vehicle will normally be able to go.

Last edited:
We have UOAs of people running Amsoil Signature Series darn close to 25,000 miles on this site. I've yet to see that done on PP, QSUD or Mobil 1. Not that they aren't very good oils in their own right. PAO oils are always going to cost more than Group 3 or similar basestocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back