Questions about radiator flush on my 1988 nissan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys i have a 1988 nissan 200sx 3.0 and the coolant is really dirty and i wanted to know should i do a flush with distilled water until the water comes out clear or should i add a radiator flush product with the water? Im just worried to do a flush on it cause its a really old car and i dont know when it was last changed i dont wanna have leak issues or overheating.

I'd flush with distilled water since it'll be more gentle on your older car. Could take multiple drain/fills since you're saying the coolant's dirty. In the end, fill the radiator with full concentrate antifreeze so the system will have an appx 50/50 mix. This is what I'm going to do on my Infiniti after I replace the radiator.

Last edited:
Remove your thermostat, drain/fill with tap water as many times as needed until it runs clean. Then do it twice with distilled water to remove minerals, re-install thermostat, fill with coolant, done.

Note your system capacity and how much you drain so that you can calculate how much coolant and distilled water you need to add to the system, assuming you use undiluted

why should i remove the thermostat? im gonna let the car run for like 10min and then another 10min with the heater on blast so it the water can flow threw everything.

i already bought 50/50 antifreeze i was gonna fill and drain with distilled water till clear and then fill the radiator up with 50/50....

You can't drain what's left in the block,especially that engine. If you flush with distilled then fill with its top mounted "lower" hose with premixed 50/50 your coolant will only be about 25% .

I've done, and seen too. But if it's "really dirty" that's the easiest way to agitate and remove everything vs. having to wait for the tstat to open a few times to get everything moving then drain the system while avoiding your hand

Originally Posted By: boostedtsiawd
why should i remove the thermostat? im gonna let the car run for like 10min and then another 10min with the heater on blast so it the water can flow threw everything.

28 year old car. If your system is as dirty and neglected as you say, it probably needs to be replaced anyways.

And how are your hoses?

See if the block has a drain plug. If so, it will simplify and speed up your drain procedure. Use a new crush washer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back