Tell me why I should not use Castrol Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. The only oil I have ever used is Castrol GTX in my vehicles. I used it in both my Silverado with 138K miles and Trailblazer with 156K miles, both purchased new. I also used it in another truck for about 140K miles. No issues with any of these trucks with this oil. Basically all I have ever used or known and my parents used this so it's how I got started with it.

So I purchase a new 15 Chevy Traverse thinking I would use the same GTX 5-30 I use in the other trucks, but the Traverse requires Dexos licensed oil and GTX does not have this but the fully Synthetic Edge does. This oil will only be used for the Traverse so I thought should I try another brand? I know it will be fine with any Dexos oil and I know many of you change regularly but I am the type that once I go with that particular oil unless something happens I typically wouldn't change. I do have a few included oil changes at the dealership until 24K miles but after that I will do them all. The oil seems priced right at my local WM compared to the other brands.

So tell me why I should not use Castrol Edge in my new Traverse and why!

Thanks in advance!

This will get a slew of responses and I'm sure someone can correct me on this if I'm wrong but I THINK castrol has a higher ash content or more simply, it's just a "dirtier" oil.

As you know Castrol makes great oils and Edge is no exception. The only reason I can think of NOT to use it is lower priced alternatives. Castrol's new Synblend Magnatech is about 5 dollars leass than Edge and is also GM Dexos rated.

Might be a good fit for you since you've been using Castrol so long.

There's nothing wrong with Edge, but if you're looking for something cheaper, Magnatec is dexos licensed. SOPUS has some lower-cost dexos like QSUD and Pennzoil Gold. There are also those house brand syns, mostly made by WPP, and usually meet dexos.

Napa synthetic goes on sale a few times a year, and it's dexos. Napa synthetic is rebranded Synpower.

Every motor vehicle that uses Castrol Edge will eventually rust out, catch fire, get in a wreck and get totaled out, get bugs all over the windshield, be scrapped, maybe end up in a museum, or some combination of the above.

Any person who buys Castrol Edge will die within the next 115 years, with some possible exceptions, and most will suffer one or more bad teeth in that time.

These are horrible odds indeed.

Any certified dexos oil will perform the same as any other,so if you aren't stuck to a single brand or drinking the boutique kool ade I suggest whatever is on sale.

With all those trouble free miles you have done using Castrol GTX oil, I think anybody would be crazy to try and convince you not to use the Edge.

It will work just fine.

Happy motoring and enjoy your new ride. Cheers
11.gif

I know many people who have used it with excellent results. I am not sure what your looking to gain by having people tell you not to use it unless I'm misunderstanding your question. I feel that if you like Castrol then stick to your brand. I will tell you that everybody has their favorites but unless people are willing to buy a certain brand for you then you can rest assured your making a good choice. If your going to be under warranty make sure you use AC Delco filters so it helps with the headache of warranty problems. Your oil filter can be some other brand but then you have to go to them for your warranty problems.

If your looking for price point then like somebody else said run a Dexos approved Synblend oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
It's not my favorite oil, but there is absolutely NO reason not to run it...

Agree. The reason i don't use it is because i try to support American oil companies. Mobil and Ashland get most of my business.

I've used edge before when i bought it on sale. Nothing wrong with Castrol from a quality stand point, it is a great oil.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
It's not my favorite oil, but there is absolutely NO reason not to run it...

Agree. The reason i don't use it is because i try to support American oil companies.

WPP is American too
smile.gif

They make most house brand oils, as well as Mag 1.

And of course Napa's house brand oil is Valvoline, like I said before.

Reason not to use Castrol Edge

-You believe oil should only come in silver bottles
-You believe [censored] statements with no documentation like "it's dirtier oil"
-You wear hats made of aluminum foil

If none of these apply to you then use it with confidence.

Reason not to use it?

It's an extended interval oil and you probably won't be running extended intervals on a new vehicle, but if you are exceeding the IOLM with UOAs trying to pursue your max oci by all means the edge is the right oil.

Those images in my memory of the pelicans and other sea animals drenched in crude oil is the reason I won't buy Castrol products.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3698520/1

Leads me to believe Edge doesn't use the greatest base oil.

I'm sure it's adequate but I think there are better oils out there.

My car had a hard time turning over last Winter with Edge. I will switch it M1 and see how it goes.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
Reason not to use Castrol Edge

-You believe oil should only come in silver bottles
-You believe [censored] statements with no documentation like "it's dirtier oil"
-You wear hats made of aluminum foil

If none of these apply to you then use it with confidence.

LOL

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3698520/1

Leads me to believe Edge doesn't use the greatest base oil.

I'm sure it's adequate but I think there are better oils out there.

My car had a hard time turning over last Winter with Edge. I will switch it M1 and see how it goes.

Well since it's on Youtube it must be true then...

You did happen to notice the OP lives in Florida...right
smirk.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Those images in my memory of the pelicans and other sea animals drenched in crude oil is the reason I won't buy Castrol products.

When I first skimmed your post, Merk, I thought that said politicians.
wink.gif

As for Castrol/BP, all companies have had big spills. I'm sore at Castrol for muddying the waters, as it were, on the definition of synthetics. I've used a lot of GTX over the years, but the only times I've bought Syntec over the past many years is if I were looking for a viscosity that wasn't available elsewhere (i.e. GC).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back