What's so special about Amsoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR1

What's really so special about Amsoil synthetic oil, compared to Mobil 1,etc ?

Multi Level Marketing. Think Amway. Good oil. Excellent, perhaps. But, due to the commissions that must be paid to multiple levels it costs significantly more than it should.

I worked for an MLM company for twelve years.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
The stuff works great. I don't like the price, but I love the product.

Amen.

Amsoil products are good. Used many of their oils over the years. There are a lot of other good oils out there as well.

Anyone who tries to tell you that MLM is the distribution method "of the future" should look to Watkins. Nothing new under the sun. MLM GUARANTEES that whatever product you buy will cost more than it should. It's a shame, really. A lot of very good products die on the vine.

I'm surprised they haven't done an analysis that compares the costs of MLM vs. moving directly into retail and lowering prices. I would think the increase customer base and chance for profits would outweigh the cost of lowering their prices. Lower margins offset by an increase sales would possibly net the same profit.
21.gif

Then again, I'm not the best in my econ class.

Last edited:
I don't screw with the MLM part.

I grab it off of a shelf.. just like any other motor oil, take it to a cashier, pay for it, and leave.

Originally Posted By: lawnguy

Nothing. It's just another great oil.

You could ask what's so special about Mobil1?

What's so special about Amsoil? Nothing. They're a blender a few rungs higher than Ashland and that's about it.

MLM kind of works like the VAT (Value Added Tax) in Europe. Every time somthing changes hands, 17% is added. So manufacturerto wholesaler, wholsaler to distributor, distributor to retailer, retalier to you. Every time 17% is added to the selling price. Pretty soon the stuff is more than twice what it would be without the tax. Same goes for MLM. Every time it changes hands, a "taste of the agte" is added to the price so that person gets his share. Soon you are paying double as well.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: lawnguy

Nothing. It's just another great oil.

The only advantage I've found, and I'm someone that uses it, is the lower pour point.

Although, Amsoil is routinely put to shame by M1 in YouTube pour tests. Which is why I'm thinking of dumping the amsoil and just doing M1 EP. I don't drive more than 15K miles a year anyways so I could still stick to a yearly OCI.

Last edited:
Avoid the dealer/MLM [censored] and buy it from NAPA, and I'm sure other places sell it OTC, too.

Originally Posted By: Throt
The only advantage I've found, and I'm someone that uses it, is the lower pour point.

Right, and what does that do for your engine that another oil with a slightly higher pour point doesn't?

Originally Posted By: Nayov
Avoid the dealer/MLM [censored] and buy it from NAPA, and I'm sure other places sell it OTC, too.

This is usually more expensive. The cheapest place to get it is straight from Amsoil's website. The 2 places I've found in my neck of the woods want $4/quart more than Amsoil's site.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Throt

Right, and what does that do for your engine that another oil with a slightly higher pour point doesn't?

Not a darn thing.

Originally Posted By: Nayov

What's the difference if a dealer gets the cut or NAPA gets the cut? I would just buy from a place that's most convenient for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back