Question for my Canadian friends

Status
Not open for further replies.
So co worker told me if I am ever in Canada to try the dish "poutine" or fries covered in gravy with cheese curds. Any of you Canadians know great place to get this where you live or do you make your own? Yes, I know it's not very healthy just wondered

Smokes poutine or Costco's are the chains that I know of.

There are some fancy places in Quebec that I've never been that make poutine but if you go to Quebec, Schwartz smoke meat are the best.

Even McDonald's and Burger king have poutine up here.

Some places even have fancier versions such as lobster poutine.

I like Costco's its under $5 for a large serving.

Smokes is OK too. I don't know where you are visiting iin Canada, just google it.

I was impressed with the quantity and quality of choices at Smoke's Poutinery. I've had plenty of good ones at Mom & Pop places as well. Ask the locals, they'll steer you to the right places.

I am not a Poutine eater, but yes, Costco if you are a member and, maybe strange for you, any Mc Do serve good poutine I have been told.

If you want a Lobster poutine, you will need to go to the atlantic provinces for that. I will surely eat one if I have the opportunity, sound delicious for a poutine.

If you go in the atlantics, also eat a shrimp pizza: My parents ate one in Gaspe some 10 years ago and still continue to talk about it.

I had had poutine ant MacDonalds and it is absolutely horrible.

I saw a piece on the news a while ago, where poutine had taken Washington DC by storm. Lots of "chip wagon" type venders in DC

Food for thought!

Last edited:
I prefer getting poutine from the chip trucks that are on the sides of the roads here in the summer. Much better than anything you will get in a fast food joint.

I like Costco too, good value.

But I also find if you want to make it if you have a few people eating it I like to cook a whole bag of fries in the oven on a xxl pizza pan that has holes in it.

You preheat the oven with the fries in the oven, sprinkle some salt, and make them really crispy.

Then it is just BBQ chicken gravy and as much cheeze as you want, I like simple mozzarella.

Most places you eat it out use soggy fries, and I am a crispy fry poutine person, but La Belle Province poutine is ok I guess.

Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
What the [censored] is poutine??

Well, a Canadian would answer "Chips and (beef) Gravy plus a specific type of curd cheese".

Here "Chips" on a restaurant menu always means what Americans call "French Fries". In America it often means what Canadians would call "potato chips".

It is quite easy to make at home provided you can find the correct cheese and know how to make a good crispy deep fried french fry (not frozen oven cook fries).

Canned Beef Gravy is OK, restaurants usually use the powdered food service type.

Last edited:
It is also really big on the east coast of Canada. The version served at the Irving "Big Stop" restaurants is excellent.

We have a poutine place in town that serves 107 different types of poutine:

http://www.whistlestoplife.com/#!poutine-menu/c13c0

If you are ever up here, I'm sure IndyIan and myself would have no problem taking you
grin.gif

Kinda like ' on a shingle'??

Poutine looks like vomit. I will never touch it.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Kinda like ' on a shingle'??

If you try it you might like it!

Originally Posted By: JC1
Originally Posted By: Tegger

If you try it you might like it!

I read that poutine squeaks when you chew it. Food is not supposed to squeak. Ergo, poutine is not food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back