Another USPS rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must say that in many years of dealing with usps delivering first class parcels, I've never had one complaint. Until this week... I've now had 2 packages be delayed within this week alone. One came from California, the other from Chicago, IL. Now, the Cali package had to travel a long way, and it's tax week, so I can maybe understand that. But I have a package that LEFT from Chicago on Sunday; physically left the post office, and I still do not have it. It arrived at a sorting facility near me yesterday, and sat there for over a day. Mind you, that 3 DAY journey from Chicago to Allen Park, MI can be driven in less then than 5 hours. What the heck took so long? Anyway, still don't have the parts I need. Hopefully they'll show up tomorrow. Meanwhile, UPS continues to be professional and sometimes ahead of schedule. I know that usps made changes early this year that affected the overnight travel of first class postage, but come on. Junk mail still comes on time, though.

Last edited:
My accountant mailed my tax returns on 4/4 and I received them today (a day after April 15th). It took 12 days to travel less than 20 miles.....unbelievable.

PS: From now on I'll drive to pick them up.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
Meanwhile, UPS continues to be professional and sometimes ahead of schedule. I know that usps made changes early this year that affected the overnight travel of first class postage, but come on. Junk mail still comes on time, though.

Any time I have shipped UPS I had nothing but trouble.

John

(Not saying USPS is perfect.)

UPS here in Alaska rarely deliver on time (ie, 2nd day air always takes 3 days; Next Day always takes at least 2 days, etc). UPS up here also excels in damaging everything they can. I once had UPS leave a package marked "electronics" out in the rain when they could've walked another two feet and place it under the roof overhang of my house.

I've actually *never* had delivery problems with USPS up here. I realize I'm probably in the minority there, but I think it's worth mentioning. I will never, ever use UPS if I have other options.

Just assume that it will take a week, from across town or across the country... and you'll never be disappointed.

Don't believe a word that you hear from anyone at the USPS. They'll just lie, knowing that you'll believe it.

Way too much dead wood protected by a union only interested in members wages and benefits. Couldn't care less whether a parcel get to its destination on time, ten days late or never.

The post office made a public announcement a while ago that first class mail delivery times would greatly increase.

I purchased 4 tires from Houston, TX yesterday at lunch and they are scheduled to arrive tomorrow about 20 miles west of Indianapolis. This is Fedex and cost was $32 for 208 lbs of tires. FedEx never seems to let me down while both UPS and USPS continually fail at timeliness and package intrgrity.

My wife has a girlfriend who lives about a half hour drive away from us who sent us a Christmas card on December 23. It got here just in time on April 14.

Came from one St. Louis MO suburb to another via Los Angeles CA. It has postmarks on it from LA.

I cannot possibly express on this forum the disdain I have for the USPS. You must be a minority and semi-literate to obtain employment there, and once employed there, you have obtained perfection and eternity, because NO ONE is EVER fired nor reprimanded for wrongdoing.

Likewise, no one there is personally responsible for anything. If you have a complaint against the Post Office, complain to the Postal Police. Yeah, right, another government office.

That's like complaining to Hillary about Obama. She will listen sympathetically and nod her head in agreement while you complain, then throw your complaint in the trash and have a drink when you leave the room.

Why do people think the terminology "going postal" originated?

Last edited:
I wanted to ship a package from Salt Lake City to Corona, CA. The cost to ship via UPS was $17.00. For Priority Mail via the USPS the cost was $8.35. The projected day of delivery was the same for both methods. I shipped USPS.

I did not check FEDX.

On Sunday Apr 12 I ordered 2 medals from Pa. to be shipped to my address in Indiana, received yesterday Apr 15. Not bad at all.

On Saturday Apr 11th I ordered a Ring from Hawaii to be shipped to my address in Indiana, received today April 16th, again not bad.

I can go on for the last few months with a few hundred ordered some from Europe and China, even the China ones get here to me in 2 weeks.

Think you all can do better, go for it.

There is no better/faster and cheaper to ship small/medium package with USPS Priority Mail. For the same service with UPS and/or Fedex the cost is more than double.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
There is no better/faster and cheaper to ship small/medium package with USPS Priority Mail. For the same service with UPS and/or Fedex the cost is more than double.

I agree. The complaints I always see are with First Class Mail. I made an account on their website, and I print out labels right from home at a discount. Packages go out with my regular mail. It's easy and cheap compared to UPS and FedEx.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

That is EXACTLY what I found out!

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Is this Priority Mail? I've never had that take longer than their 2-3 day guarantee.

Last thing I got Priority Mail was shipped on Monday. I got it Wednesday. Of the WEEK AFTER! It shipped from California...then just sat for four days in Reno! Must have been "LOW Priority Mail".

Last package I ordered was shipped USPS, made it across the country to me in 2 days. This would be a 5 day ground delivery for UPS or Fedex. Plus it was delivered on a Saturday.

April 18, 2015 , 2:48 pm
Delivered, Parcel Locker
PHOENIX, AZ
April 18, 2015 , 10:09 am
Out for Delivery
PHOENIX, AZ
April 18, 2015 , 9:59 am
Sorting Complete
PHOENIX, AZ
April 18, 2015 , 4:15 am
Arrived at Post Office
PHOENIX, AZ