Hissing, P/S, New fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure this has been asked around here but I find the search function utterly useless.

Picked up some Mercon V for my P/S pump for the car in my sig.

I did the ol' baster method and refilled. Took it for a spin and now I've got that dumb hissing air noise. Happens when any amount of turn is applied.

Now what.

I am curious about this too. I did a baster out and fill one or two times on the Buick with Prestone P/S fluid and have the same issue, a hissing noise any time the wheel Is turned. Its still as smooth as ever though.

Did you bleed the system by turning the wheel lock-to-lock a dozen or so times? Easier to do this with both wheels jacked up.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Mine always makes noise after I turkey baster the reservoir and it disappears after a couple weeks completely

weird! Is it air? You would think no air would get in with a baster.

Sucking out a turkey baster of fluid and replacing will not introduce air into the system, and thus not require bleeding the system.

That's too general. Depends on the car. Some, like fords with tue integrated pump/reservoir ABSOLUTELY need to be bled if just doing the turkey baster method. Some Hondas as well as there will be a small bubble introduced into the lines when it's sucked out.

If you drain the fluid below the point of the lines it will absolutely need to be bled

Well this is a Ford and from what I can tell it is this "integrated" pump/reservoir setup. Guess I'll find some gravel and do this. I did go into a parking lot and do figure 8's. But it didn't help. But I don't know that I got it lock-to-lock.

People in the store probably thought I was drunk.

Best way to bleed is to jack the front wheels off the ground and with the car off, turn the wheels from side to side. Leave your reservoir cap on when you do this, and do to at the speed you'd normally turn the wheel at else you'll shoot a stream of fluid (found that out first hand)

Rinse and repeat until there are no more bubbles. Does your fluid look frothy after driving? If it is, bleed it. If not, looks like all the air is out already and there's something else amiss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back