Clay your windshield!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to clay my van's windshield today. The windshield is only a year and a half old, but it got to the point where Invisible Glass cleaner still left behind some 'junk'. I cleaned it as good as I could with the Invisible Glass, then clayed the windshield one half at a time, using straight water as a lubricant (normally MeGuiar's regular Quik Detailer is my go-to, but it creates a beading effect, which I don't want on the glass). When done, wipe dry, then clean once more with your glass cleaner of choice. It's much smoother to the touch now. I even noticed that now the glass cleaner comes away easier while wiping. Even if your vehicle/windshield is relatively new, I highly recommend doing this.

My soft windshield is already pretty much ruined by the sandblasting of small particles, I doubt it will make a difference if I remove the few that are still in the glass. It looks like my dad's CRV did after 10 years of driving with only 3.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
Bon Ami will clean a windshield as good as anything on the market, and it's cheap.

+1 haven't done it yet but a lot of DIYers use that to super clean their windshields.

Originally Posted By: 2sld3kf2bt
Why wouldn't you want water to bead on your windshield? You want reduced visibility in heavy rain?

Beads of water refract light, and blind me terribly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Klutch9
Why wouldn't you want water to bead on your windshield? You want reduced visibility in heavy rain?

Beads of water refract light, and blind me terribly.

yeah you want sheeting on the glass. Then you get less waterspots as well. I might clay my cars this spring. I'm going to do the rest of the car anyway.

I've found that ANY film on the windshield will also contaminate the rubber blade inserts and then they start chattering across the windshield. I, too, work hard to ensure that water sheets off my windows rather than beads off them.

Steel wool works amazing for removing water spots on glass. I bet it would work at removing the junk a clay bar does. Just make sure it is 0000 grade steel wool. Otherwise you will scratch the glass!

I've been claying (now nanoskining) our windshields for as long as I've been doing the painted surfaces. Works! A smooth surface no doubt prolongs wiper life.

+3 on Bon Ami...

GM%20Bon%20Ami.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back