Sold my bike...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a big downer for me but when do you decide its time for a change ? In 2005 I walked into the dealer and Purchased brand new my Yamaha YZF R1. in 10 years I put 27,000 miles on it as I purchased more bikes. The R1 was my aftermarket money pit. Every piece of carbon fiber, every titanium piece, every electronic upgrade, the bike was only about 30% stock when I sold it recently.. I probably had over $20,000 in that Rocket.. It was the first and only auto/bike ive ever bought new. The R1 has been on dozens of trips to Deals Gap "tail of the dragon" The Cherohola Skyway, Devils triangle, and all around and over the Great Smokey mountain national park. Well in the 10 years I owned it, I got married and had two kids, and of course promoted in my field and became more dedicated to my family/job. In the past 24 months the R1 only came out of the garage a total of 7 times.. It was basically dry rotting in the back of the garage.. A hard pill to swallow for sure, but one I had to make, At 39 years old let it sit 4,5,6 years in the back of the garage until im in my mid 40's and have time to ride again or sell it off and put the $$ in the bank. Would I even want to throw a 45 year old leg over a torture rack ??? No, it was time to sell it.. Im already looking to the future, what will I want to buy down the road ? a standard ? a cruiser ? a sport touring rig ? Ive got time to chew on it as my boy is 5 and my daughters 2. I wont be buying anything until they are both in elementary and maybe even pushing middle school (5-6 years from now) so ive got time to think it over.. There is no question in my post, its just a vent/rant, get it off my chest kinda thing.. I will hold on to the memories my wife and I made on that motorcycle for years and years to come..
(Otis-Black-R1)

Think about spending all the time you can with you children,they grow up fast.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Think about spending all the time you can with you children,they grow up fast.

That's why im not riding. Im spending all my time with my wife and children (when Im not at work)

frown.gif

I can relate...putting the bike/car stuff aside for our family. Granted, the only saving grace for my toy/extra car is that I can take my son in it if I need to...

Hoping you'll find something to really enjoy!

I have a 2001 Ducati 748 monoposto that I haven't ridden in almost 4 years.

I had a bad wreck when my girls were 4 and 5. Spent 2.5 weeks in the hospital. Got a blood infection. At the time I had no health insurance so the hospital cost me $20k out of pocket. Another $1.5K to repair the bike, out of pocket. The bike and I are back together and it's 98% ready to ride (minus a paint job & starter solenoid with a hot-start problem). Thing is, I have no interest in riding but I like having the bike. Just memories. At 45 I'm a little too old to blast around on a hot, loud, cramped race bike. Trading or buying a new bike doesn't hold much appeal either.

I go back and forth on selling it. It's not worth much as it sits, and it takes up garage space. This summer it will go. Doubtful that I will buy another bike as my interests have changed.

My neighbor has a CBR1000 in drydock as well. His boys are the same age as my girls. he hasn't ridden in 5-6 years, and doesn't intend to until the boys go to college.

You made a good decision to shelve the fast motorcycle idea for now. Revisit it later when the kids are older and see how you feel.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
I can relate...putting the bike/car stuff aside for our family. Granted, the only saving grace for my toy/extra car is that I can take my son in it if I need to...

I have a 2009 Polaris Ranger that the whole family enjoys, we "country cruise" and spent a good amount of time on it.. Im also looking at boats.. we live on a lake so a bigger than our current john boats, boat would be a nice family toy.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
Originally Posted By: daves87rs

I have a 2009 Polaris Ranger that the whole family enjoys, we "country cruise" and spent a good amount of time on it.. Im also looking at boats.. we live on a lake so a bigger than our current john boats, boat would be a nice family toy.

That does sound like a better plan than the street bike. I am cashing in my old YZ250 this year too, my kids are 5 and 2 as well and we might get into trail riding soon, but no need for the mx bike. I'm getting slower, not faster on it anyways!
I'll let some young punk have his fun/near misses on it like I did.

Good man choosing family over self. With 3 little ones a responsible dad finds ways to have fun besides hanging it out on the Dragon...

Howie2092, sorry for your difficult times. At least you're here to write about it.

Sorry to hear about you selling your bike. But having a family I completely understand. I had to wait until last year to get a new bike, which happened to be when my son entered elementary. For your next bike think about a "sport tourer". I've got a Honda VFR800 interceptor, Sporty but comfortable.

I know that diehard motorcyclists will vehemently disagree...but taking all things into perspective (wife, kids, value of your own life), it is best to give it up for good.

It's often a tough decision to make for us guys, but the time comes when a father and a husband needs to remember that his family needs him far more than he needs a motorcycle.

I used to ride. I've owned all kinds of street bikes and ATV's. The deaths of those that I rode with defiantly caused me to rethink the entire pastime. The roads are just far too dangerous now in my opinion. With constant texting....crowded highways....an influx of immigrants attaining first time driver licenses...all adds up to a BIG red flag.

You can always get a jetski, boat, or small convertible sports car to quench a similar need that motorcycles fulfilled. It's more safe and a bit more responsible as well. You'd still need to be careful of course....but in my opinion the odds are much more reasonable that you'll stay healthy.

You need to do what you feel is best for you and your family. You'll ride again if you want to.

A couple of you guys said that at 45 years of age, you either are or will be too old to ride a Sportbike. There is no age limitation on riding a Sportbike.

I'm older than 45, and still have my heavily modified for performance and handling Hayabusa. I also just recently took delivery of a '15 BMW S1000RR.

I knew of a guy that had two Sportbikes that he rode, right up until he passed away from age related issues, at the age of 83. He often said that his bikes kept him young.

I knew another guy that gave up riding because it was "too dangerous". Despite being a picture of health, with no known issues, he died from a sudden heart attack in his 30s.

My point? None of us knows how much time we have, so make the most of it.

When my son was a baby I had a Honda 750K that I rode to work and short trips. One day coming home I rode past the white sheet on the road and a crumpled bike and the semi that didn't see him. By the time I got home I decided my son was not going to grow up without a dad because I chose to ride a bike. Sold it in a week and found other ways to have fun. My choice and have never regretted it.

It sounds like you made the right choice for you. I've seen fatal Motorcycle accidents as they happened. Some involving people I knew. I've seen fatal car accidents as they happened, again a couple involving people I knew.

I knew several people during Highschool and into their early 20's, that for whatever reason decided to commit suicide.

My best friend at the age of 10, died from Cancer.

Later, my then best friend who was a Police Officer and Motorcyclist, died peacefully in his sleep at the age of 35. No definitive cause was found. He left behind a then 5 year old Son.

There are no guarantees except death. And of course, taxes.

I rode for 45 years, and I took my kids(one at a time) on rides. Some were just day drides and some were over night rides. I hung up my riding boots when my wife got hit(left turning car) that almost killed her. I can't go for a ride while my wife sits at home. That would not be right, so we got a Honda S2000 and a Jeep.

ROD

Not sure why it has to be bike or family. My dad rode his bike, raced another and a race car and I still had plenty of dad time. When I was 8 he got me a fixed up trail 50 Honda so I could have something to be proud of and wax and wash with him on the weekend.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Not sure why it has to be bike or family.

It's that whole "taking unnecessary risk" thing. It's one thing if you get killed and no one relies on you. It's a completely different ball of wax when you have kids that depend on you for everything. With so many inattentive/distracted/ignorant drivers out there, it may be just a matter of time before it's your turn to get mowed down. Time to find a safer hobby, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back