Lots of break-in material after only 100mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could not wait until the recommended 25HR/250MI break-in interval to change the engine oil on my 2015 Polaris Sportsman 850. I figured I would change all lubes while I was at it. There was a ton of fine, no coarse, metal shavings on the magnetic plugs. I will drain and fill all lubes again 250MI later. So far 75% riding has been no faster than 40 MPH on hard packed snow and 25% using low range through deep snow and fording creeks up to about the headlights, 90% has been in AWD. The engine does not have a magnetic plug but the oil looked still looked transparent. No evidence of water so everything seems to be sealed as designed.

For lubes here is what I used.
Engine: Mobil 1 0W-40
Transmission: Half Polaris AGL Plus and Mobil 1 5W-20 (thats what I had on hand, thought I had Synchromesh)
Front Diff: John Deere Lo-Vis Hy-Gard J20D Spec
Rear Diff: Delvac 75w-90

THe first time I drained the oil out of my (then new) Briggs L Head generator engine I thought the thing wouldn't run another hour because of all the metal bits and pieces I saw. (Splash lube, no filter). That was not the case and all later changes have been without metalflake oil color.

I get quite a bit of the small metal on the magnetic drain plugs on both diffs each time I change it on my '13 Scrambler 850. I change it at half the recommended interval and all continues to be well. Happy riding in Alaska

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back