Infineum 3/14 - Ultra low viscosity challenges

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting link.

I wonder if bio-based lubricants will start to receive more interest in this move for increased fuel economy thru lower viscosity while maintaining engine durability.

Quote:
Lowering a lubricant’s high temperature high shear (HTHS) viscosity might result in fairly small improvements in fuel consumption. But, the potentially significant fines for non-compliance to emissions and fuel economy legislation mean OEMs value every contribution to help them meet their fleet-wide efficiency targets. This means the trend to ultra low viscosities is extremely likely to continue.

Infineum sounds pretty lukewarm to fuel economy improvement by using ever-thinner oils. But they recognize that OEM's have to play the game because of CAFE penalties.

Quote:
Infineum studies indicate that, in some engines, reducing lubricant viscosities to 2.3 HTHS presents little risk of engine component wear. Below this level, specific engine components, for example the top ring and bearings, observe higher wear rates. To ensure ultra low viscosity lubricants deliver fuel economy and wear protection it is becoming increasingly important to co-engineer the vehicle hardware and lubricant system.

So the trend toward lower HTHS is beginning to require engines be redesigned to run the thinner lubricant. Isn't this a case of the tail wagging the dog?

There must be threshold where oil does become too thin... right?

Originally Posted By: Throt
Ha, I'm an idiot. I didn't even open your link...where it talks about exactly what I posted about.

My bad.

I do it all the time
smile.gif

I don't really care about lower viscosities. Car manufacturers are not going to sell us an engine that requires an oil that will kill the engine in 50k miles. I'd feel comfortable using an 0w16 any day if the manufacturer specifies it. They know what they're doing.

I do however think I'd be more likely to buy more expensive oils from companies with fatter R&D budgets. These oils will not be easy to perfect.

Originally Posted By: Throt

...I'd be more likely to buy more expensive oils from companies with fatter R&D budgets. These oils will not be easy to perfect.

Agreed

Go back 12 or so years and you will read the same about
XW20 engine oil.

Before plastic, we had 10W for winter, 20W20 for
spring and fall and and SAE 30 for summer.

Now we need 0W40, anti-lock brakes, traction control and
back-up cameras to idiot-proof the modern automobile.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Infineum sounds pretty lukewarm to fuel economy improvement by using ever-thinner oils. But they recognize that OEM's have to play the game because of CAFE penalties.

Quote:
Infineum studies indicate that, in some engines, reducing lubricant viscosities to 2.3 HTHS presents little risk of engine component wear. Below this level, specific engine components, for example the top ring and bearings, observe higher wear rates. To ensure ultra low viscosity lubricants deliver fuel economy and wear protection it is becoming increasingly important to co-engineer the vehicle hardware and lubricant system.

So the trend toward lower HTHS is beginning to require engines be redesigned to run the thinner lubricant. Isn't this a case of the tail wagging the dog?

Careful, 'less you get labelled a continual purveyor of misinformation.

Honda have mentioned in a couple of papers that they are increasing bearing projected area and reducing clearances to adopt lower viscosities...both of which increase the drag on the bearings.

Which makes me think that they are chasing an overall friction reduction mid stroke of the piston (while transport engine manufacturers are looking at TBCs to reduce the mid stroke viscosity.

There is no rational reason to make and lubricate an engine to last the equivalent of three bodies, do they are going to make durability sacrifices (Honda calls it acceptable durability) if it gets them some more CAFE credits.

If the bottom end is getting redesigned for durability in a lower viscosity world, the economy ramifications if an owner backslides to the 30s in their stash would be interesting to behold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back