Checking oil level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everyone,

I recently started using paper towel when checking my oil level but yesterday I noticed a small fiber got stuck to the end of the dip stick. I was able to get it off but it's possible when I checked my oil previously a small fiber could have gotten it's way into my engine.

I will be using regular rags/towels from now on. Is there anything to worry about, the filter should catch any contaminants right?

-Thanks

You'll be fine.

You should see the towels shops use to check oil.
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Swift101
Is there anything to worry about

Yes, your OCD.
smile.gif

Hahaha, I have to admit that's true.

Look at it this way, that tid bit of a paper towel is circling your engine, polishing your bearings, rods, rings and your crankcase, sounds good to me.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Originally Posted By: CT8
Remove the burr from the end of the dipstick.
now that was good.
Thank you.

I use paper towels and always inspect the dipstick for paper before I reinsert it. If I find any paper towel on it I remove it with my fingers
grin.gif
. 40 years later I've not had any engine failures
grin2.gif

Whimsey

I wouldn't worry about it, more junk than that gets in the oil over an OCI. Gotta remember that most filters are cellulose fiber as well, but that little bit of paper towel would break apart more than likely so no biggie.

Yeah, I always check the dipstick when I reinsert it. Even shop towels will sometimes snag fibers just like the paper towels.

Originally Posted By: Falken
If you use a Purolator oil filter it might help plug any tears in it. Possibly.

haha

I hope you're not leaving the opening at the dipstick tube for the dipstick uncovered and open to ambient air contamination while your checking the oil level on the dipstick. During the time you're processing the dipstick at the workbench decontamination station before preparing to reinsert the dipstick into the dipstick tube you could be introducing wear particles into the system. Just imagine the damage that could be done if several particles migrated into your engine. One can't be too careful when executing a procedure like checking the oil level.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
This situation may call for a UOA...

Don't waste your money. The car is now damaged goods and needs to be sold ASAP.

01.gif

01.gif

crackmeup2.gif

On my way now to trade it in!
wink.gif
I hope they don't find that particle while appraising my car. Could easily knock 90% off the trade in value.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I hope you're not leaving the opening at the dipstick tube for the dipstick uncovered and open to ambient air contamination while your checking the oil level on the dipstick. During the time you're processing the dipstick at the workbench decontamination station before preparing to reinsert the dipstick into the dipstick tube you could be introducing wear particles into the system. Just imagine the damage that could be done if several particles migrated into your engine. One can't be too careful when executing a procedure like checking the oil level.

Forget all this - just use a microfiber towel - then after you check the oil you can quick detail your car - two birds with one stone.

I guess using old pit-stained t-shirts is out too.

What would happen if sweat particles get into the sump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back