Nasty Smell from A/C

Status
Not open for further replies.
All you have to do is turn the A/C off and turn the fan on high speed the last two blocks before you get to the house and you won't have that problem.

Merkava has a point, it is from shutting down the ac with a wet coil.... stinky stuff develops in there eventually. Seems to vary by the car, only car I ever had that would do it was an HHR.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
All you have to do is turn the A/C off and turn the fan on high speed the last two blocks before you get to the house and you won't have that problem.

Amen,
he is on the money,
I turn it to fresh air, if recirc is on and then dry it out with the a/c off.

The evap unit, usually in the dash, has a drain for the water which is formed by condensation of humidity in the outside air as it is brought in and cooled. The drain or drains get plugged and a nice little broth for mold forms. Put it on a lift and have the drains blown out. They are usually a rubber hose or two, open at the bottom end, running down from the dash area.

I don't have any odors while the A/C is running, and I always use the fresh air setting, but when I turn the A/C off and run regular air through the system after just using it to get out the moisture that is when I get a funky smell.

It's hard to describe the odor, but it's not a rotten or musty smell but an overpowering and thick sweet smell. I'm not losing any coolant, so I don't suspect a heater core issue.

Anyone have any ideas?

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
I don't have any odors while the A/C is running, and I always use the fresh air setting, but when I turn the A/C off and run regular air through the system after just using it to get out the moisture that is when I get a funky smell.

It's hard to describe the odor, but it's not a rotten or musty smell but an overpowering and thick sweet smell. I'm not losing any coolant, so I don't suspect a heater core issue.

Anyone have any ideas?
It's there, cold dry air just doesn't smell very much. Check the drain hoses.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bobbob
I put on the A/C yesterday and, although it blew cold, there was a bad odor coming into the car.
Please help me. Thanks

Might go away with some A/C use, might not. Besides the remedies already stated, check the cabin air filter of your unnamed vehicle.

Last year I had a bad smell from one of my cars, when I went to replace the cabin air filter it was full of wet rotting leaves and tree nut debris. Even though it was on the outer side of the filter, the smell was coming through just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back