Corolla Production to Stop In Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't believe it when I saw the headline. Toyota will cease Corolla production in Cambridge, Ontario after 2018. I think Corollas have been built there since 1988. Toyota is building a new plant in Mexico instead of continuing to produce the third best selling car here in Canada. It will be another reason to buy a Civic the next time around. Canada continues to lose car production capacity.

Rumor has it that Corolla production will move to Mexico and that Ontario will get a Lexus model or something like the Highlander.
The Ontario plant is NOT closing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Hmmm besides saving money, wonder why?

CAW wages and benefit costs. Plus the high value of Canadian currency. Wait aren't they non-union?

Last edited:
Because of NAFTA many companies have plants in Mexico to take advantage of low wage and relax environmental regulation. Honda has plants in Mexico too.

From companies point of view if they can make similar quality products for less to improve their bottom line they will do it, even if they have to move production plant(s) to another country.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
No thanks.

Same here.

I keep hearing the corporations telling me that there is NO
difference in overall quality and build consistency between a vehicle made in the US, Canada, Japan, or Germany, but my own experiences tell me quite the opposite of this.

Heck you can look at stories that have reached the media and realize that Mexico might be a cheap place to build vehicles, but the quality is NOT there....

Ford Fiesta
Honda Fit
VW Jetta
ect....

From poor and shoddy assembly, to inconsistent quality (and it DOES vary greatly in Mexico with all manufacturers, to transportation issues (drug cartels raiding trains with new vehicles on them being sabotaged or seized) the lists are endless.

I do NOT want a car or truck that was "Hecho en Mexico"

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Because of NAFTA many companies have plants in Mexico to take advantage of low wage and relax environmental regulation. Honda has plants in Mexico too.

From companies point of view if they can make similar quality products for less to improve their bottom line they will do it, even if they have to move production plant(s) to another country.

What i don't get is, with all these jobs going to Mexico what are more and more of them scrambling to come to the US?
Could it be the ones coming here don't want to work?

Pretty soon Americans will be the new migrant workers. LOL

My personal feeling with appropriate QA and engineering staff from the home country and hire locally Mexico is a great place to retain and seek high quality labor.

There are so many high quality/educated folks vying for that quality job in Mexico they work extremely hard to keep it. The Mexican folks I work with at my global company are beyond high quality and enjoy them quite a bit over other "growth markets".

Look at UAW is that your view of quality worker? Not sure what CAW look like.

I even see it on this board folks chiming in what a waste of money post secondary education is in this day and age.

Originally Posted By: cb450sc
Couldn't believe it when I saw the headline. Toyota will cease Corolla production in Cambridge, Ontario after 2018. I think Corollas have been built there since 1988.

My first assumption when I saw the thread, was that maybe sales are down.

I don't see many of the "bold new" Corollas driving around. Maybe the people who liked the appliance look of the old Corolla have gone elsewhere?

Originally Posted By: css9450
I don't see many of the "bold new" Corollas driving around. Maybe the people who liked the appliance look of the old Corolla have gone elsewhere?

The Prius, Scion, Hyundai, Kia, and a few other cars ate their lunch. Plus isn't there a factory in Mississippi for the Corolla?

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx

The Prius, Scion, Hyundai, Kia, and a few other cars ate their lunch.

An interesting assertion, so I had to look it up. I had to pick a month where all data from all marques was available, and that was December 2014 (2015 model year).

According to this PDF: http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases/tms+december+2014+sales+chart.htm

Toyota in December 2014 http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases/tms+december+2014+sales+chart.htm only the Camry outsold the Corolla:

Corolla 30,125
Camry 31,618
Rav4 22,997
Prius 14,414
Scion iQ+xD+xB+tC total 3,817

According to this:
http://www.kiamedia.com/us/en/media/pres...r-sales-in-2014

The best selling Kia's were:
Optima 11,827
Sorento 9,688
Soul 9,906

Hyundai's best sellers in Dec 2014: https://www.hyundaiusa.com/about-hyundai..._-20150105.aspx
ACCENT 8,566
SONATA 17,924
ELANTRA 18,860
SANTA FE 10,395

Given these facts, I reject your assertion.

Originally Posted By: HangFire

The Prius, Scion, Hyundai, Kia, and a few other cars ate their lunch.

Given these facts, I reject your assertion.

Since you have the data... Is there a trend? What were the numbers from a year or two years earlier?

As I had stated earlier, Corolla is made in Mississippi:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Motor_Manufacturing_Mississippi

June 17, 2010, Toyota Motor Manufacturing Mississippi announced that it will open the Blue Springs facility in the fall of 2011, when it will produce the Toyota Corolla instead of the Prius. The Toyota Corolla was previously manufactured at the NUMMI facility in California until the facility was closed down in early 2010. It was the closing of NUMMI that made the opening of the Mississippi plant economically feasible.

The 2011 Great Eastern Japan Earthquake Disaster did not affect the construction schedule. The plant opened on November 2011 and is now producing the Toyota Corolla.

Since you have the data... Is there a trend? What were the numbers from a year or two years earlier?

I'm not going to research the trend much, but if you follow the link, you'll quickly see Toyota sold about 8K more Corollas in 2014 than Dec 2013, and is on track to sell their usual more than 300K of Corollas this year.

Those are phenomenal numbers, any automaker would kill for all their models to sell just 100K per model per year. Practically all automaker sales are up this year, except for some aging and unpopular models, but very few vehicles are in the 300K/year class- the Camry, Civic, Accord, and CR-V for example, but not the marques/vehicles mentioned by zzyzzx.

Here's Honda's Dec 2014 numbers, including previous year and Dec 2013 for comparison: http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=8254-en

It's kind of amazing how few Acura's get sold. Ditto Scion. Not a criticism, just an observation.

As I had stated earlier, Corolla is made in Mississippi:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Motor_Manufacturing_Mississippi

June 17, 2010, Toyota Motor Manufacturing Mississippi announced that it will open the Blue Springs facility in the fall of 2011, when it will produce the Toyota Corolla instead of the Prius. The Toyota Corolla was previously manufactured at the NUMMI facility in California until the facility was closed down in early 2010. It was the closing of NUMMI that made the opening of the Mississippi plant economically feasible.

The 2011 Great Eastern Japan Earthquake Disaster did not affect the construction schedule. The plant opened on November 2011 and is now producing the Toyota Corolla.

lol, I never rejected that assertion. Look carefully at what part I quoted you in post #3700997.

We make parts for the Corolla where I work, but the line is garbage and I won't personally miss it. For the rest of the economy though, yes.. A bit [censored].

Well, atleast they will be building something at the plant still. Hopefully in plentiful enough numbers to keep the local suppliers going.
Also the plant isn't unionized, although they did pay a decent wage. I suppose its good business sense to build the lower content car in mexico and the higher quality one up here. The suppliers should be able to build lexus quality parts without too much fuss.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back