Which oil after repairs/rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.
So question for you engine builders, rebuilders and guys that do head gasket repairs or work. What oil do you guys after repairing the engine that has say a blown head gasket? Reason I ask is I see some oils use sodium; and correct me if I am wrong but can't sodium show a "false positive" in oil analysis after this kind of work. Thanks for any insight and answers in advance

Guys, I was asking if you fixed a car that had a cooling system repair which oil would u put in it. My co worker does cooling system work and uses PYB as his oil

When i have pulled a head. I assume that the oil will get some degree of coolant contamination. So the next oil change should be really short. I'd use the cheapest sn oil say supertech. I run it a few miles and dump it, then your oil of choice.

Originally Posted By: car51
So question for you engine builders, rebuilders and guys that do head gasket repairs or work. What oil do you guys after repairing the engine that has say a blown head gasket? Reason I ask is I see some oils use sodium; and correct me if I am wrong but can't sodium show a "false positive" in oil analysis after this kind of work. Thanks for any insight and answers in advance
The sodium isn't necessarily a warning flag, but the potassium is one, along with the coolant test they perform. Like they said above, change it soon after.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
When i have pulled a head. I assume that the oil will get some degree of coolant contamination. So the next oil change should be really short. I'd use the cheapest sn oil say supertech. I run it a few miles and dump it, then your oil of choice.

^ this. After a head gasket replacement the oil should be changed before the car is even started again for the first time. I generally run them about 1k miles on some house brand oil and filter and then i change it again using whatever i would normally use. After that you're golden to run your normal OCI's IMO.

We use the latest sn Gf-5 in most of the engines we rebuild (whatever the engine calls for is what we use in the latest version. Some call for other oils

Thanks crazyoildude and donnyj08
wink.gif

Thanks guys and talked to a guy that does cylinder head and cooling work and he says all he uses is Maxlife in 5w20, 30 and 10w30 for everything he does.

We use whatever we have on the shelf. Same thing for running a rebuilt engine. If it's an older engine with a flat tappet camshaft, we may add a break-in additive. For instance, we just R&R'd a 360 big block in a '74 Ford F-100. The customer had it built at a local machine shop, and we ran AcDelco 10W-30 with a bottle of Lucas break-in additive.

Now, personally, if I were to break in my own engine, I'd use something like Defy or Rotella, Delo, Delvac, etc.

IMO I'd run a cheap oil for a few miles then change it to whatever you've always used. Idea being to get any bits of seal and antifreeze out of the sump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back