Question about TGMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I started using TGMO in my 2011 Honda Accord back in November. I am happy with it over all. It lasts 1500-1800 miles more at 50% according to the Oil Monitoring System than the base Amsoil 0W20. My concern is when the car has sat for a day or two, (which rarely happens) upon start up I get an unhealthy slight grinding noise for 3-4 seconds. Something is not being lubricated? Is this a film strenth weakness of the TGMO? I do not recall Amsoil ever doing it. It sounds like it is coming from the top of the engine? I am noticing it more the longer I use TGMO. Also, the car tends to use more TGMO than Amsoil over a 6000 mile interval. It is not using much at all but is more than it was with Amsoil. I was thinking I may go back to Amsoil Signature series. I plan on keeping this car for 300,000-400,000 miles, thanks.

Interesting on the oil life monitor...

I'm wondering how it detects that TGMO is in the system...

The OLM doesn't go by oil condition. It goes by miles driven/ RPMs used and how long it's been.

The sound might be a bad starter or an alternator. If you find a way to eliminate the starter, take the serpentine belt off and start it to see if the noise persists. I've got a weird noise at startup but I think it's my alternator, luckily it has a lifetime warranty so I'll just swap it out.

I realize that in regards to the OLM, but the TGMO oil seems to last longer. The noise I am referring to is internal. Sounds like it comes from inside the valve cover.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Interesting on the oil life monitor...

I'm wondering how it detects that TGMO is in the system...

BMW's OLM sensors do detect viscosity and contamination changes in oil. AFAIK Honda does not have a sensor like this though.

Originally Posted By: 0w20something
I realize that in regards to the OLM, but the TGMO oil seems to last longer. The noise I am referring to is internal. Sounds like it comes from inside the valve cover.

If you realize how the OLM functions then you must also realize that it is impossible for the TGMO, by virtue of being TGMO to "last longer". The OLM is simply going by the conditions the car is operated in. Identical conditions with ANY oil will yield the same OLM decay rate.

I would switch back to the AMSOIL and see if the noise goes away. Or switch to Mobil 1 EP 0w-20.

+1
The Honda MM will work in exactly the same manner whether the engine is filled with TGMO, HGMO, M1, Crisco or water, although in the case of the latter two, the engine wouldn't run long enough that it would matter.
Also, if the "unhealthy slight grinding noise" really is an engine noise it isn't the oil causing it and no oil will cure it.
The first resort would be to change the filter, since even the vertical base-up mounting that most K24s have will allow oil to syphon out in the event of a bad ADB.
The OP notes that this noise happens only after the car has been left unstarted for an unusual period of time.
This is further evidence of a bad ADB.
If I were the OP, I'd change the oil filter first and go from there.

Honda calls their IOLM the Maintenance Minder.
You should start planning a convenient time for an oil chnange at MM 15%, or at that's what I do.
ADB is anti-drainback valve.
It prevents the oil filter from losing all of the oil in it after the engine is shut down.
If it functions poorly, the oil pump has to fill the oil filter with oil on each start before oil is delivered to the mains as well as every other part that needs oil.
In many cases, unusual start-up noise is caused by a bad ADB.
This can be a problem with any brand of oil filter at any price point and is typically just a random issue with an individual example and not typical of a breed as a whole.

Originally Posted By: redhat
VTC actuator

Yes, this! This is a semi-common problem on this gen of K24 engines.

Interesting that there's a honda paper that suggests hydarulic acuators can play up when oil is too thin.

This isn't the issue here on cold oil for sure.

Hello,

I started using TGMO in my 2011 Honda Accord back in November. I am happy with it over all. It lasts 1500-1800 miles more at 50% according to the Oil Monitoring System than the base Amsoil 0W20.

cheers3.gif
That's TGMO 0W-20 SN for you.

Quote:
My concern is when the car has sat for a day or two, (which rarely happens) upon start up I get an unhealthy slight grinding noise for 3-4 seconds. Something is not being lubricated? Is this a film strenth weakness of the TGMO? I do not recall Amsoil ever doing it. It sounds like it is coming from the top of the engine? I am noticing it more the longer I use TGMO.

That's unlikely an oil-brand-related problem. There is either something wrong with your engine or it's the way it works and sounds. Perhaps TGMO's trinuclear-moly friction modifier reduces the starting surface friction so much so that your valve-timing actuators slip at start-up. In any case, it's not a point of concern. Less surface friction in an engine is always a good thing, unless in a motorcycle engine with a wet clutch that requires a certain minimum surface friction. (Regarding oil-film strength, any cold oil is very thick and therefore it's oil-film strength is extremely high when cold.)

Quote:
Also, the car tends to use more TGMO than Amsoil over a 6000 mile interval. It is not using much at all but is more than it was with Amsoil. I was thinking I may go back to Amsoil Signature series. I plan on keeping this car for 300,000-400,000 miles, thanks.

If your measurements are accurate, my guess would be that Amsoil 0W-20 is a very thick 0W-20, closer to 0W-30. In my experience, I had less consumption with TGMO 0W-20 SN than with PYB 5W-20 SN -- so, there are no worries in the oil-consumption department at all.

VTC actuator

Bingo

I had mine replaced under warranty at like 60k miles and it was doing it 10k later...

If I didn't have so much 0w20 sitting around I would buy 5w20 and see if that fixes it.

aS far as the consumption goes mine doesn't use any in cold weather or city driving. But on extended high speed driving like 80mph in mountains with lots of downshifts it can us a half a quart in 1000 miles

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
VTC actuator

Bingo

I had mine replaced under warranty at like 60k miles and it was doing it 10k later...

If I didn't have so much 0w20 sitting around I would buy 5w20 and see if that fixes it.

aS far as the consumption goes mine doesn't use any in cold weather or city driving. But on extended high speed driving like 80mph in mountains with lots of downshifts it can us a half a quart in 1000 miles

This doesn't make any since. Oil is much thicker than it needs to be at start up, so why would a thicker oil solve the problem?

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Hello,

I started using TGMO in my 2011 Honda Accord back in November. I am happy with it over all. It lasts 1500-1800 miles more at 50% according to the Oil Monitoring System than the base Amsoil 0W20.

cheers3.gif

I'm still interested in how the OLM knows that it's the superior quality TGMO SN, and adjusts for it.

Unicorn tear detector ?

Thank you. It does not sound like a major problem and I do not want it to turn into one.
Thanks everyone for your help.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Hello,

cheers3.gif

I'm still interested in how the OLM knows that it's the superior quality TGMO SN, and adjusts for it.

Unicorn tear detector ?

Oil pressure and temperature gauge to measure VI in situ?
smile.gif

I forgot to mention.... I found TGMO at Mike Shaw Toyota in Corpus Christi Tx. for $5 a quart. I bought two cases the last time I was there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back