Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
Originally Posted By: whip
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
The other is personal information (like address, school, work, etc).

The simple solution here is don't provide the info. I've never given Facebook my phone number, address or employer.

Quote:
Not to mention if you apply for a job, one of the first things the hiring department will do now is Facebook search you. If there are lots of pictures of you hammered, you might not get a second interview. Not saying it is right, but it's public information, and they want to gather as much info as they can about candidates.

Facebook has privacy settings. My account is set so only friends can view it. If a prospective employer searched me, the only thing they would see is that I have an account. My info isn't visible to anyone. Don't blame Facebook if people aren't smart enough to protect themselves.

Unfortunately, it's a little more nefarious than just "protecting yourself" up to and including prospective employers wanting your FB password...yes, it's true. How much do you want that job???

Maybe they do that out in Kalifornia, but I've never heard of that here.
crackmeup2.gif

Actually, it's now illegal in California to solicit social media passwords and information as part of the hiring process but was until recently a fairly common practice...both in Kalifornia or possibly even in Indianer. I know it's now illegal in New Jersey, Illinois, Michigan and a few other states. My guess is it probably still exists in states where WalMart is the leading employer and the Attorneys General are worthless lackies. Without the number of higher skilled jobs and competition there's less chance of a privacy outcry or related lawsuits so they'll perpetuate until all the states catch up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back