Are speeding tickets worth fighting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my case I'm talking about getting cited for 70 in a 60 on a 6 lane interstate with little traffic.

On one hand, at least my state, anything under 11 over doesn't ding your insurance, but the fine is $161. The incident will go on record, though.

In a way the fine is setup so that most people just pay it and move on. However, if more people fought every ticket they received, the courts would be booked solid and judges would spend a very large amount of time overseeing speeding ticket cases.

I mean, sheesh, if the city needs money, I'd donate $250 in lieu of the citation, but something tells me that strategy would be interpreted as attempting to bribe a public official.

What are your thoughts?

Most states allow for deferred adjudication which amounts to 90 days of probation. You pay the fine, but it does not go on your record. Worth checking into.

Lawyer up so that your insurance doesn't skyrocket.

You'll still have to pay the fine, but you might be able to get it reduced to a lesser offense.

Were you going ten over?
If so, this is a righteous citation, although I wonder whether they'd have bothered had you been eight over.
Not much here for you to fight.
The only really effective way to resist a valid citation involves hiring some professional help and the only reason to go to that expense would be if this ticket would point you out of driving priviledges for a time.

If you know the cop has no way of proving it, fight it. Cop don't show, ticket gets dropped. Last time the cop made up a bogus statement I. The report, didn't shwo, the judge almost apologized. Our count sheriff's dept is an embarrassment anyway.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Were you going ten over? If so, this is a righteous citation. Not much here for you to fight.

Couldn't agree more. The only time I'd take a ticket to court is if I didn't believe I'd committed the offence.

If you were speeding, pay it. Doesn't matter if no one is on the road or not. If you were not speeding, fight it.

Honesty goes both ways. You want cops/gov to be honest with you so you should be honest with them. I know it doesn't always work that way but it has to start somewhere-how about with you?

Just my two cents,

Dave

Do you have traffic law lawyer firms in your area? Years back, I think it was $90 to hire them to plead a ticket to a non-moving violation after 30 days probation.

The way the settlement worked was I paid the lawer $90 plus the fine. They negotiated 30 days probation. If I didn't get any moving violations in that period, the ticket was recorded as a non-moving violation.

You pay the fine and my time off was worth more than the lawyer fee, so in my case, it was worth it. BTW, my ticket was 25+ over and mandatory court appearance. So a day off work was more costly than $90 to the lawyer.

I didn't even appear.

Depending on what you get paid and what it would do to your insurance, it may be worth paying one of the traffic law firms to sort it out.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
In my case I'm talking about getting cited for 70 in a 60 on a 6 lane interstate with little traffic.

On one hand, at least my state, anything under 11 over doesn't ding your insurance, but the fine is $161. The incident will go on record, though.

In a way the fine is setup so that most people just pay it and move on. However, if more people fought every ticket they received, the courts would be booked solid and judges would spend a very large amount of time overseeing speeding ticket cases.

I mean, sheesh, if the city needs money, I'd donate $250 in lieu of the citation, but something tells me that strategy would be interpreted as attempting to bribe a public official.

What are your thoughts?

I went to court for every ticket I ever got. 50/50 chance that the judge was in a good mood and would withhold adjudication and I just pay the court fees. Some required lawyers, like my favorite... 130mph+ in the emergency lane, while street racing (was passing slow moving vehicles)

I have that ticket framed on my wall. Spent 10 days in jail for that one and that was me trying to fight it in court (judge wanted to give me 60 days)

If your record isn't too bad, try the court route. I used to get them cleared like nobodies business, until the record started getting past page 2 or 3 and then the judge was like, "boy you need to slow down before I take your license" and he wasn't kidding. Drove around for a year on a suspended license because I didn't think he was serious about jacking my ID. Boy was I wrong... Those were the good ol' days. Now I hear it's MUCH stricter.

I think my odds are better to pull RIGHT OVER so the cop doesn't have to chase me down. I've pulled it off a couple times. It's different. You read online or whatever to not admit fault, or to not name your speed, etc.

If you see the cop start moving after you go by, just signal and yank it over somewhere safe.

I fought a ticket in court for no inspection sticker. There was an opportunity before the trial to work things out with the prosecution, in my case, Chief of Police for a small town. I pointed out that I just got the car and made an appointment at my mechanic for inspection before putting it on the road but I hadn't made it in yet as appointments with him were a week out. Showed my receipt, it indicated no work needed. Case dismissed!

A friend was cruising at 70mph in a 60 zone. Came down a hill and gravity gave him 2 miles and the cop gave him a ticket. In his mind, since they give you 10+over (in this state that was true)he truly told everyone he was only speeding 2 miles over. He never accepted that he was doing 72mph in a 60 zone. Never

Last edited:
If you have a friend in that agency, call that person NOW to talk to the cop before the cop turns the ticket in.

A customer of mine is a lawyer who delves predominantly in civil matters and tells me that there is an old law in MA that lets you do 18 miles over the posted limit and the cops can only give you a warning citation. 19 and over and you're in for a big fine. Usually $250 and over. Seems like they focus on the heavy hitters.

Your choice. I probably wouldn't fight it. But certainly you could go in...dress nice be respectful and freeely admit you are guilty. If you admit guilt I'll bet the judge takes something off.

Then you can take the "high road" and still feel good you went in to get "something"

Last edited:
Here you better be at or under the posted speed limit. Ticket is just over Two Hundred Dollars......... Great cash cow for the city and county.

I have a high end Beltronics Radar Detector and a laser protector installed in the front end of the vehicle. Not 100% but not only helps prevent tickets but makes you more aware when driving.

I have X Band shut off because it is is not used here. Mostly all KA Band, some, K Band and the country has Two Laser units.

In many states you can attend drivers school either over the internet or in person which can cost less and not go on your drivers record.

If you haven't had a speeding ticket in the last 18 months, you can request traffic school and it will stay off your insurance record. They got traffic school online now.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Cop don't show, ticket gets dropped.

This alone can make it worthwhile just showing up in court, depending on how bad the ticket is, fines, points against your license and insurance.

If the cop shows you can still explain yourself to the judge and ask for leniency.

My motto is, "If you don't ask, you don't get."

good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back