A/C cleaning/desinfecting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used a "car fumigator" from a JDM shop and cat odor remover in my parent's Sienna. It worked but I also told them to keep their car clean.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Thanks all. I picked up a can of 1Z. It appears that in case of my e39, the most effective way is to drill a small hole in center console (near foot well) to get directly at the evaporator.

Also need to check if my evap drain is not clogged.

You better have X ray eyes before you drill.

Originally Posted By: user52165
You better have X ray eyes before you drill.

No need. There are fairly detailed DIY instructions out there.

Originally Posted By: ironman_gq
You sure your smelling a dirty evaporator, they usually smell musty or moldy.

I'm not sure at all. It is more of a stale old type smell, not really musty/moldy.

Last year, one of the doors started leaking and was allowing water to get inside the car. The leak was fixed, but maybe I am now dealing with the aftermath of some things rotting. Who knows...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: ironman_gq
You sure your smelling a dirty evaporator, they usually smell musty or moldy.

I'm not sure at all. It is more of a stale old type smell, not really musty/moldy.

Last year, one of the doors started leaking and was allowing water to get inside the car. The leak was fixed, but maybe I am now dealing with the aftermath of some things rotting. Who knows...

In that case, I'd peel back both the carpet and the liner underneath. Stick your hand down in there and see if it's wet or the source of your musty smell. If so, disinfect it.

I have been doing this for years. Buy a can of lysol. With the fan in the car running, spray the lysol where the air comes in on the outside. Do not get it on the paint! Give it a good 10 to 15 second spray. Do this treatment again in a couple days. The lysol will kill all the [censored] making the smell, plus leave a fresh sent in your vent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back