2009 Forester Oil Leaks????

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife parks her car approximately in the same place on our asphalt drive way. There are 4 oil marks near where all 4 tires would be. CV boots seem fine upon quick inspection.

Any ideas?

Any chance she drove through some oil/dirt/grime and got it on the tires?

The oil pan, transmission pan, and differentials, are all pretty much straight down the center, so it's unlikely oil from any one of those drain bolts is causing the oil spots near the wheels.

How about the brake lines? Did you recently bleed the brakes, are you sure that the bleeder valves are properly closed?

I'm thinking brake fluid also. Leaks at the valve cover or head gasket wouldn't be where the tires are. Especially if it has a plastic under cover like my Impreza.

Originally Posted By: sicko
Any chance she drove through some oil/dirt/grime and got it on the tires?

The oil pan, transmission pan, and differentials, are all pretty much straight down the center, so it's unlikely oil from any one of those drain bolts is causing the oil spots near the wheels.

How about the brake lines? Did you recently bleed the brakes, are you sure that the bleeder valves are properly closed?

Rub some of this stuff between your fingers and see what it feels like.
Smell it and see whether it smells like ATF, brake fluid, coolant or motor oil. The CV joint grease is a medium dark grey high moly compound that does not have a liquid consistency.
I think you're right and that the OP's wife probably drove through something.
I can't imagine that you could lose enough brake fluid, ATF, coolant or engine oil to leave stains on the ground at all four corners without the source being pretty obvious.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Rub some of this stuff between your fingers and see what it feels like.

I did that one time. Car was in the garage and a pool next to the tire. I thought it may have been brake fluid, but did the sniff and touch and realized it was cat pee..

The reading glasses part of that prescription is +1.00 as previously noted. Your eyes shape determines your long distance vision, your ability to change your eye shape with muscles is what determines your close up vision. Headaches after reading is the first sign of needing reading glasses, the eye muscles will be trying too hard to bend an old stiff eye.

Look underneath, see where it's wet with oil and go from there. Brakes? Diff? Diff seals? Valve cover gasket? Filter? Filter housing? Oil pan? Rear main seal? Trans pan? Etc etc

Not much I can say based on what's on the driveway. Need to hop under the car.

You sure whatever it is, isn't from the tires?

Check ALL fluid levels. If something's leaking, it's bound to be low

My wife was my crawling under her Subie. Told her I was looking for leaks. She asked why. I showed her the 4 spots on the driveway.

She laughed, chuckled, and gave a snort. It was tire-shine that she sprayed on her Michelin's.

I felt like a big dummie. But better than buying 4 new axles.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Its a Subaru....headgaskets?

+1, but Subarus also have oil pump gasket issues (which is why you often change it and /or the oil pump when you replace the timing belt).

Originally Posted By: Phishin
It was tire-shine that she sprayed on her Michelin's.

Dooh! That's good. At least I know why I didn't think of that; my wife does absolutely nothing to keep the car clean
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back