Fuel pump lubrication....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2012 EFI Sportster with a 2.5 inch tank lift. Every now and then the fuel pump sounds like it's dry or straining. I never run even close to empty. Does anyone use some kind of fuel lubricant? Seafoam, Mystery oil or anything like this? Can you even run Mystery oil in a EFI? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Respectfully, Bushshaker

Mine on my EFI Triumphs sounds loud when it is priming from time to time.

You can run Marvel Mystery Oil in an EFI.

If you pump is making random noises, then it may be sucking air somehow from time to time. What are you doing when it makes the noise? Maybe the fuel is sloshing around enough to allow that.

I wonder if your in tank fuel filter sock is clogged, it isn't common but it can happen. DO NOT use anything in your fuel tank EXCEPT
gasoline or a proven fuel system cleaner like Techron Complete,
Gumout Regain, or Redline SL-1.

Gumout all one one has a friction modifier and plenty of goodies including Polyether amine, which is one of the best chemicals for fuel systems that most cleaners do not use including Lucas and STP to name a couple.

honestly I have been anti additive since my lucas oil crud experiance. I made my oil to thick and wrecked a high mileage mazda v6 in my old van.

But I have recently put the proper dose of mmo in my car and noticed a huge difference! fuel mileage has increased a bit. But the biggest difference has been I need way less throttle to accelerate from a stop. also I used to be able to hear my fuel pump, just barely but now I can't.

I really don't want to stop using it right now cause I think it's doing some cleaning which I would never have thought my car needed any cleaning inside or out of it!

Last edited:
Being anti additives for oil and transmission fluid is generally a good thing with a few exceptions that don't apply to most people but fuel additives have their place if you don't use top tier gas...as long as It's a quality additive that uses PEA.

Some people use TCW3 in their gas too if you use the right ratio.

Nothing unusual, rarely even set on bike first. Turn key, flip run switch, pull clutch, and push start button all while standing and bike is on stand. Let bike warm while putting helmet and jacket on.

It does it more often when bike has sat a day or two but, will do it in between runs. More of a mechanical roar than sucking air sound.

Bushshaker

When I owned a bike twice a year I would run half a bottle of Bardahl 5010W All-U-Need Fuel and Emission System Cleaner and the bike would feel new again.
Suzuki V-Strom 650.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Being anti additives for oil and transmission fluid is generally a good thing with a few exceptions that don't apply to most people but fuel additives have their place if you don't use top tier gas...as long as It's a quality additive that uses PEA.

Some people use TCW3 in their gas too if you use the right ratio.

I've been using tcw3 in my truck but I think I'll stop since I havnt noticed any bennefits. I tried one tankfull in the car just before the mmo and didn't notice a difference but I'm sure it would have taken more than one tank if it was going to do something.

I throw some zmax in the fuel every once in a while as I get it for free. The noise you mention is normal, my road king has done it on a cold start since new and it is pretty loud, but goes away after several seconds.

Fuel is your pumps lubrication... I believe more noisy fuel pump have been silenced by fixing the loose mounts than any additive...

I ran TCW3 for about a year and just bought a bottle of Lucas fuel treatment/UCL. It's good stuff and I used to use it all the time.
I too notice a difference in fuel pump noise before I start the car up when running a UCL. With just straight gas I can clearly hear a buzzing sound but with TCW3 or UCL added it sounds like a quiet muffled hum so it must be helping at least a little bit!
I just like the way UCLs make my engine run smoother and quieter in general plus they help get more milage and should also help with the longevity of certain parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back