How Did Your Parents Discipline For Bad Grades?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Waterboarding.............
wink.gif

My old man would correct my completed homework with red pen, then make me cut that page out of the book with a razorblade and redo.
More red pen, and more cut out pages, and 3AM bedtimes when I finally got it right in junior highschool.

Never got to silly hair cuts and humiliation.

Don't know. Never really got any.

For each A I received a quarter, starting in grammar school and running through graduation from senior high. Don't laugh; that and my allowance were my only source of income back then.

That video needs subtitles in order to be understood.

I'm assuming that the punishment for getting bad grades was some sort of a tacky haircut and video humiliation? That's a stupid method of punishment.

Threatened to stop paying for college...I paid for the last bit myself.

My parents would have in do the most menial chores when my grades weren't up to my potential (in their view). That way I would be used to the kind of jobs you can get without an education.

Z

I didn't really start getting good grades until the 8th grade. Back when I was in 4th grade, dad bribed me with a .22/.410 combo. If I did poorly, I would get grounded severely.. which I was. 8th grade rolled around and I was given a 12 gauge 870 Wingmaster after getting mostly A's with a few B's.

While I am not so sure that is the route I would have taken I applaud the Dad for caring enough to actually do something. It is clear he wants his kids to do well in life and not end up as thugs( his words ). You can't spank or touch your kids these days so maybe making them look like idiots with those haircuts will teach them to take their studies more serious. It sure would me!

FWIW - even though I did not like school my grades were always good( honor roll ). My Dad was actually a principal for over 30 years and my Mom was going to college to be a teacher when she met my Dad and then got married( common back then to stay at home once married ). Trust me doing well in school was the ONLY option. I never thought of anything but making sure the report card had all A's and B's. Kind of hard to not do well in school when your Dad is a principal. There is no excuse he hasn't heard already or that he can't help with.

My dad told me as long as I passed and didn't fail. With my kids, I expect A's but if they don't make an effort and make C's. I will disciplne them for not trying.

Was required to make A's or B's. C or less would get me the belt and no privileges of any type between grading sessions. I was just an average student in school, so life was miserable during the school years. Went to college after the Military and stayed on the Dean's List. Good old Uncle Sam and Vietnam made me see the light.

I grew up in the old days, beating children was perfectly ok. Heck even the teachers could beat us
cry.gif

Last edited:
I was a straight A student. My two brother (1 year and 2 years younger than I) were A's and B's. As long as we tried, that's all that matters.

My parents never really stayed on top of my grades. After my parents divorced (around 5th grade for me, I think) I got terrible grades and would get bad grades with some frequency until I graduated high school. I hid my poor grades from my father and my mother didn't care. In grade school a score under 70% needed to be signed by a parent, I would either have my mother sign it or have a friend sign it as my mother. I got to the point where I graduated high school in August because I failed too many classes. I had to max out the available summer courses.

Really regret this time in my life to be honest. Being a lousy student for so long really hurt me in the long run. If I ever have kids I will be sure to stay on top of their school work. I have a PhD now and wonder how much better my life would have been had I at least TRIED.

My pop hated paying for car insurance on a teenager so he'd drop it, not let me drive, and tell me I needed arbitrarily higher grades.

Then I'd get 'em and he'd renege.

Now I'm a parent and careful not to get into power struggles with my kids. They'll outlast anyone, just to show 'em. Human nature.

when my daughter grades plummeted in college (boyfriends), i stopped paying and told her to take a loan. Worked like a charm, but she has to deal with her poor average now (and trying to get to a good grad school).

as a child i would get spanked with a belt for bad behavior often (didn't work that well), bad grades was not my thing.

I was straight A's save English. Just didn't care for it.

How do I help my daughter? When I'm going over her math homework, it only takes a few times of me returning her sheet saying she has three wrong, but not telling her which three until she takes her time and works the answer back into the original problem to see if it's right to train her it's not worth it to hurry through the work and make a silly mistake in haste.

Now if only I'd learn that lesson myself, LOL.

My report card was always very mixed, Good in some classes very Bad in others.
My parents could not understand why. They never came down really hard on me, as long as I was seen to be making an effort.
But always hated taking my report card home.

Ended up doing OK at school, but can't say I liked it.

I found out 20 later I was Dyslexic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back