Need som new 700X23c tires.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some of these tires. It's for a 10 speed road bike, Mondia. I don't do racing. want something inexpensive and that'll last. Any recommendations?

First ditch the 23c and go at least 25c, better ride and they actually have less rolling resistance.

I like Serfas tires for price, durability, and flat protection.

I'm on my second season of Continental Gatorskins on my road bike. No drama.

Just visit BiketiresDirect.com or BikeNashbar.com and look at the choices, compare and buy a quality, value oriented tire.

another big fan of Continental tires here. They are on my 29 ER as well as my road bike. I know the Gatorskins have a great reputation for durability and longevity but really it's hard to go wrong with that brand.

I put about 5000mi/year on my Gatorskins. I have never had a flat with the Gatorskins! They are the only tires I've had that wear out before they get cut deeply enough that they need to be replaced. Having said that, I'll get a flat today... :)

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
First ditch the 23c and go at least 25c

I also recommend this, even though I do believe there are more 23c tire choices.

Originally Posted By: wwillson
I put about 5000mi/year on my Gatorskins. I have never had a flat with the Gatorskins! They are the only tires I've had that wear out before they get cut deeply enough that they need to be replaced. Having said that, I'll get a flat today... :)

I just switched to the Freedom Thickslicks. Got a flat withing my first week! After that, only one more. At least I have no trouble installing and removing them, which would be a problem on the Gatorskins (according to all the reviews). The OP is interested in inexpensive tires so GatorSkins are out of the question.

If the OP is interested in inexpensive 23c tires, just buy them in pairs off of Nashbar during a sale or cloesout. You do that to save on shipping, but when I say pair, they don't have to be the same. You can use a pretty cheap tire on the front of your bicycle and it won't matter since you aren't going to get very many flats on it. I live in a big city and my front tire is absolutely nothing special, or a worn rear tire that was a goo done when it was new.

Let me ask a few more questions.

Are you installing these yourself or are you going to a bike shop? If you are paying their labor, you are paying the same if you put on a cheap tire or a more costly tire.

If you are paying the bike shop, I'd suggest you go with a long lasting tire as you won't be paying more frequent labor.

If you are DIY, then just get a reasonable tire and enjoy.

For me, my time has value, so I'd rather pay a bit more (ok maybe 2x more) for a known good quantity and do the job once than pay 1/2 for a cheaper tire that may not provide the same service life and confidence.

I think I spent less than $100 for two tires and tubes. Probably spent an hour swapping them out. Kept the old Giant branded tires and Kenda/Giant tubes that came with the bike.

FWIW, Nashbar is offering 20% off today (tax day) on purchases $49 or more.

You could probably find good tires, tube and rim tape and save enough for one or two tubes if not more.

If you are a DIY'er, try to get a foldable bead Gatorskin. The wire bead is just a little more difficult to install.
I've been riding road since 1990, and rode on 700 x 23 until last year. I have one bike with 700 x 25, and one with 700 x 28. The bigger the volume, the more comfortable the ride. I'm done riding fast. The weight difference is not going to matter if you are not racing. Go for comfort and get more miles in that way.

Last edited:
First ditch the 23c and go at least 25c, better ride and they actually have less rolling resistance.

This would depend on the OP's weight. If he's not a big guy (say under 160lbs) a 23C should be fine, otherwise I'd second the 25C suggestion.

And add my vote to the Continental Gatorskins. Relatively inexpensive, flat resistant, long wearing, and good road feel compared to some of the cheaper options.

Originally Posted By: Surestick

This would depend on the OP's weight. If he's not a big guy (say under 160lbs) a 23C should be fine, otherwise I'd second the 25C suggestion.

And add my vote to the Continental Gatorskins. Relatively inexpensive, flat resistant, long wearing, and good road feel compared to some of the cheaper options.
I'm 5'6" 180lbs

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
I finally ordered the Gatorskins. 700 25's, and new tubes. thanks to all who gave their input!!

Great! Run them with less pressure than you would 23C tires probably ~95 psi. The first couple of rides will feel weird but they'll be just as fast with more grip and more comfort.

Originally Posted By: Surestick

Even skinny little pro roadies are using 25c's these days. Has nothing to do with their weight. Has everything to do with reduced rolling resistance, better grip, and more comfort.

Originally Posted By: wwillson

I've run Gatorskins but recently have have had an increase in flats. I went to Michelin Krylions, no flats but cuts. Tried Michelin Pro 4 Endurance, no flats but cuts (at 117 psi as recommended by Michelin customer support). A forum reader recommended Continental Grand Prix 4 Seasons. That is what I'm running right now. They have a max psi rating of 120, but recommend you run at a 20% reduction in pressure. I run them at 100 psi. No flats so far, but they are a new purchase. I'm 210 lbs, and run a 700 x 25. They aren't cheap, but I'd rather ride than fix flats. Perhaps I would have had better luck with some of the previous choices had I run them at a reduced pressure.

I use Specialized "Armadillo" 25c tires with great results. Flats are a thing of the past, and I swear they are just as fast as race tires with my fat behind (I'm not actually fat, but I am 200 pounds) sitting on the seat.

Just did a kickin ride the other day. 95 degrees out, windy, and hurting knees. But I did it!

Last edited:
Even skinny little pro roadies are using 25c's these days. Has nothing to do with their weight. Has everything to do with reduced rolling resistance, better grip, and more comfort.

I was going to ask if even the smallest, lightest PURE Protour climbers are now on the 25Cs, and if they are now used on even the pure TT bikes as well??
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back