Deviate from recommended 5W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, normally, I'm a stickler for following manufacturer's recommendations. But my son's 2010 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0 V8 specs 5W-20 and I don't stock that in my garage. I've got about 100 quarts of synthetic to use up so I am not going out to buy that oil. Period.

I stock 0W-20, 0W-30 and 5W-30, mostly in M1 and PP. I am going to use oil on my shelf. So, should I mix or go with 0W-20 or any of the above? IMHO, I believe this venerable Ford V8 would run fine on any of these oils but I'm not a Ford guy so, I'll listen to your recs.

I have 5W-30 in my Honda right now (calls for 5W-20). I've also used 0W-30, 5W-20, and 0W-20. It just doesn't matter, quite frankly.

Of the 3 oils and/or viscosities, suggest you run either of the 0-weights in the winter (preferably 0W-20) and the 5W-30 in the summer.

Mixing any combination of the oils listed is also fine for your personal vehicles or your son's SUV.

Use 0w20. It's still 20 at temp, just doesn't thicken up as much when cold. I'd venture to say it might be better than 5w20 for that reason

Use 0w-20, but in the summer months, throw in a half-bottle of STP Oil Treatment, which basically just thickens the oil a little.

I'd run 0w-20 in the winter and either of the 30 weights in the summer. I run 5w-30 in my 2003 4.6l Ford v8 during the summer with no issues.

Last edited:
0w20 does not deviate from spec. Its a valid equivalent for a 5w20.

I cannot fathom why people *still* think 0w20 is "thinner" than a 5w20 in hot weather, when it has been REPEATEDLY demonstrated that a common 0w20 has a higher viscosity from freezing on up to engine operating temp than some 5w20s.

Originally Posted By: fredfactory
Use 0w-20, but in the summer months, throw in a half-bottle of STP Oil Treatment, which basically just thickens the oil a little.

When should one use STP Oil Treatment??

The correct answer is NEVER!

If a 0W supercedes all 5/10/15/20W oils,why are those viscosities still made and recommended/spec'd?

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
OK, normally, I'm a stickler for following manufacturer's recommendations. But my son's 2010 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0 V8 specs 5W-20 and I don't stock that in my garage. I've got about 100 quarts of synthetic to use up so I am not going out to buy that oil. Period.

I stock 0W-20, 0W-30 and 5W-30, mostly in M1 and PP. I am going to use oil on my shelf. So, should I mix or go with 0W-20 or any of the above? IMHO, I believe this venerable Ford V8 would run fine on any of these oils but I'm not a Ford guy so, I'll listen to your recs.

Your Mountaineer V-8 is Ford's 4.6L. This engine is very easy on oil and not too particular as to viscosity, within reason. My wife has a 2005 Explorer with the 4.6. I've used oil ranging from 0W-20 year round to 10W-30 in the non winter months and at 165,000 miles it runs great/smooth and it's quiet no matter what oil I use.

Use the 0W-20 in confidence or even the 5W-30 if your winter temps don't get too cold.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back