Does gear oil lose its smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am being serious here, but as i age i notice my nose isn't as sensitive as it used to be. my wifes though works as great if not better then ever.

In my experience, some gear oils smell worse than others but the only thing that smell ever does is get worse with age, mix a little water in there and it's even worse.

Chances are it's PS fluid or brake fluid although it could be motor oil as well. I've found that giving the undercarriage a good degreasing will help find the leaks and cardboard under a parked vehicle will help figure out what is leaking.

Any chance your AC isn't working? I've seen the oil in those leak out and it can be sticky stuff, especially if you have any type of stop leak in the system.

ac was working yesterday, first good warm day of the season so I got to test it out. It is getting to be time to wash the cars at a coin op, should be done with salt, and I suspect much of the Fluid Film has dried up by now, so time to wash and respray. Hard to get to those spot though.

Am keeping an eye on both ps and brake levels.

I think I have convinced myself that it is brake fluid. I can stand on the brake; it does not sink. I think that means it is clutch.

I tried to angle my phone up to take pics, but no luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back