C.L.R.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, Cleaning a neglected radiator.
One round of dishwasher "tablets"
One round liquid dishwasher cleaner.
One round Prestone brand cleaner for radiators.
Still draining and refilling with plain water and there's a grayness to the "coolant".

Would anybody here warn against using CLR (the familiar Calcium, Lime and Rust removing product)? TIA Kira

I run CLR through my 12-year-old Whirlpool dishwasher every once in a while. I put my glassware and coffee pot inside too so they get CLR'd at the same time. I run a regular wash cycle and wait until the second wash begins, then I open the door and add about a pint of CLR.

I wouldn't bother, sooner or later you are going to run a high risk of a leak. Aluminum isn't the strongest metal and if I'm not mistaken they actually state not to use CLR on aluminum.

CLR is good stuff. I've never used it on a radiator though. I've found it works even better if you warm it up in the microwave in a glass bowl first. WARM... I don't know what might happen if you made it too hot.

Keep flushing with water. Is your water hard & limey? Do you soften?

I've generated lots of "grey water" doing flushes. I just run it for a day, drain at night, repeat. You can tell you're ahead of the game when you can finally sorta see through it.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
I wouldn't bother, sooner or later you are going to run a high risk of a leak. Aluminum isn't the strongest metal and if I'm not mistaken they actually state not to use CLR on aluminum.

Exactly.

Many radiators can be replaced at a low cost, for example a Ca,ry radiator identical to the OEM is about a 100 bucks.

Hello and thanks a million. I do see it getting clearer.
I have been draining at night and refilling with water.
In answer to a question; our tap water here in No. New Jersey is relatively soft.
Once clear I'll roll into several distilled water rinses.

I honestly think the bozos who "serviced" the cooling system recovered the coolant and mixed it with whatever else they'd collected. In short, "Dex-Cool Kool Aid". At least they bought seemingly good quality hoses.

Cheers, Kira

From the CLR website:

Can I use CLR to clean out my radiator?

CLR should not be used in or on a car radiator. CLR may not be compatible with the materials associated with a radiator and it could have adverse effects if the CLR is not rinsed out completely.

I have used it with great results. Did a back flush first followed up by the CLR. I used a gallon and drove around for a while. What came out was nasty... Did another back flush and then started replacing coolant. Many people have used it with similar results.

If I were u, I would just continue water flushes until it's clear, then 60/40 distilled water / coolant of your choice

Hello, I heeded the advice and opinions here and skipped the CLR.
Likely any concentration of the stuff in an 11.4 qt. capacity system to do anything would've been dearer than another round with a radiator flush product.
Plus there was the warning against using it on aluminum.
Didn't want to dissolve the radiator.

Since my last post (April 9th) I performed 6 drain and refills with water.
I added the coolant yesterday, drove it and needed to drain the radiator of the resulting mix (appx.35%) to make room for the rest of the concentrate and I was pleasantly surprised by the clarity of the coolant.

All the concentrate went in.
What was left after 2 "burp sessions" using drained coolant filled the recovery reservoir to spec.
I'm at 52.6% concentration.

So happy. So many one-sided "Death-Cool" quips.
I'm running "Dextacy-Cool". Hmmm...needs work. Kira

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back