greasing oem joints

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will be removing some front end components on the aurora in the near future including seperating the ball joint from the spindle. Have heard good things about the otc 6297 so I'm hoping to preserve the factory joint and boot since its tight and in good shape. But it's still original with 14 years and 140k so I was planning to try to slip a needle in through the boot seal. Currently have either synpower in my grease gun or triflow (similar to superglue) grease in a syringe. What would you pick for injection?

If you can slip the needle between the boot and the joint without puncturing the boot i would the synpower.
Its lithium based so it should be compatible with the residual OE stuff.
If it comes down to it don't puncture the boot if you cant get the needle past it, its tempting but you will shorten whatever life it has left in it.

I agree if you can avoid puncturing the boot, better. However if you have to, i have done it successfully.
Puncture at a really flat angle slightly above parallel to the boot, that way it has a tendancy to self seal, and a touch of silicone afterwards. But its better not to if you don't have too.

I would not puncture it unless you are sure its dry.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
I might get a new ball joint.

With the time and trouble of diss-assembly and realigning the front end, this makes sense.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
I might get a new ball joint.

+3 save yourself the trouble while it is apart

A new ball joint (preferably new ball joints) and just get any sort of grease. I did my drag link ends on my jeep last weekend (I hope to do the tie rod ends Thursday.) and am just running the Supertech light duty farm/ auto grease. Something like this isn't picky.. Keep in mind, most joints aren't even serviceable and go 150-200k on the ORIGINAL grease.. if they are lucky, the boot isnt tore either. LOL.

Get the cheap stuff top off the boots at each oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back