EGR problem on 05 Honda Civic D17a1- Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long story short, my mom drove my 2005 Honda Civic D17a1 and a radiator hose blew. But she thought she could make it (only) 11 miles on the highway. She got back and it had bad rod knock and bearing chirping noises. I changed the hose, filled with water and started it, hoping for the best. It ran for 1-2 minutes, and threw a rod. I replaced the engine, and it had no place for the egr valve to go. It goes on the thermostat housing piece of the head. I took the piece off of the old engine and put it on the replacement engine so the valve went on. I started it and got a P0401 code for insufficient EGR flow. I called the dealer and one guy said they made a d17a1 with no EGR ports in the head. 2 guys said they did not. 1 said they did and I did not have ports.The other guy said I had ports but they were clogged. I put on a new EGR valve, which made no difference. Even the service department does not know this one! Does that make sense? Did Honda make a D17a1 with no EGR ports in the head? If they did, how do I know if I have one? If you guys could help, that would be wonderful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, some D17a1s did not have egr valves. They were added in 2003/2004.

The ECU checks egr function from the egr temperature sensor. Make sure that the sensor is plugged in and check the resistance of the sensor with an ohm meter just to be sure.

You can run the engine fine without the egr and most people put a small resistor in the egr temperature sensor harness plug to trick the ecu and turn off the check engine light. The resistor rating varies from car to car and I am not sure which would work in your case, but you could try a few until it works.

Quote:
I replaced the engine, and it had no place for the egr valve to go.

Quote:
I called the dealer and one guy said they made a d17a1 with no EGR ports in the head.

It's looking like your replacement engine is the engine that 'one guy' is referring to. There's probably a casting number on the engine somewhere that tells the story.

Originally Posted By: bblackmon19

Does that mean the head on that D17a1 engine has no EGR flow passages?

Originally Posted By: bblackmon19

The ECU checks egr function from the egr temperature sensor. Make sure that the sensor is plugged in and check the resistance of the sensor with an ohm meter just to be sure.

You can run the engine fine without the egr and most people put a small resistor in the egr temperature sensor harness plug to trick the ecu and turn off the check engine light. The resistor rating varies from car to car and I am not sure which would work in your case, but you could try a few until it works.
Is this safe for the car and legal?

Originally Posted By: Avery4
Is this safe for the car and legal?

It's probably safe for the car but won't fly in California.

While i cant speak to this engine specifically i think it might be a good idea to remove the intake and see if they blocked off the heads egr passages with a different gasket.
We find this on some euro models in other makes, its just another way of installing a block off plate.

If the ports are there clean them out and use a US egr equipped gasket. Just a thought.

Welp I lied. The 7th generation 2001-2005 honda civic doesn't use an egr temperature sensor. Tons of other honda models and the 8th gen honda civic do use a egr temperature sensor.
According to the 7th gen civic factory service manual your car just uses a EGR valve position sensor.

Based on what I can gather the engine you have now doesn't have the ports in the head for the egr to work and somehow the ecu is detecting this (probably the wideband oxygen sensor) without an egr temperature sensor, and giving you a check engine light.

You have the wrong intake manifold gasket which has no EGR ports.
Had this happen on my '04 Civic when the head was rebuilt.

Get the gasket with the EGR ports.

Was the replacement engine off an automatic while yours is a stick? Sometimes this matters, as lugging a stick can make NOx.

You could also possibly retrieve the computer that went with the replacement engine.

So all I need to do is change the intake manifold gasket? Then the light will go off? While I am driving, it goes put put put while driving. I need an exhaust manifold gasket. I am broke and can not afford $12 for a gasket. Will this hurt the engine?

You need both exhaust and intake. A leak at the exhaust manifold can cause problems for the O2. Check for the EGR ports in the head, if they are there get a gasket with the corresponding holes and the EGR will function and the light will go off.

will i damage it by running it until next Friday with the old exhaust gasket?

Naw, i cant see it damaging it. Lots of old Expeditions are running around with broken exhaust manifolds and studs for a long time.
Fix it ASAP by all means but don't worry about it too much.

thanks i will pull the intake gasket and check for ports. will keep you posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back