I got some Purple Ice. Should I add it in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm driving a 99 buick regal gs.

Last time I did a coolant change (First time it had been done since owning the car), I noticed a ton of orange muddy buildup. So I did a flush using some Prestone radiator flush and a hose, then filled it back up with some distilled water and Dex-Cool coolant.

I went ahead and bought a 12oz bottle of Purple Ice because of its purpose of being a surfactant and anti-corrosive. I figured I would read reviews, and if it looks bleak, I would simply return it.

What do you think?

I added some a couple months ago. Nothing but pleased with its performance. Many here will dismiss it as "snake oil" and "unicorn tears" but from my experience it has worked as advertised! Use with confidence! Everything RP makes is top notch.

Last edited:
you will never convince me that on a properly functioning cooling system this will make any difference as far as cooling. Maybe it will help in some other fashion, just not sure what.

Yeah, I'm not specifically looking for better cooling, though extra cooling couldn't hurt. (Is 220F high? It seemed OK to me with ambient @ 80F)

I'm mostly looking for something to pull away or reduce corrosion (and thus the corrosion sludge I was getting). I guess a detergent would be more in line with what I'm looking for, than a surfactant. But I figured if the additive has anti-corrosive properties, that might help things, too.

Or, you know, it could make it worse, or even destroy my water pump...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jk_636
OP Im not sure if you have seen this or not, but RPs website has a lot of good info on Purple Ice. Check out the link below:

http://www.royalpurple.com/blog/purple-ice-outperforms-the-leading-competitor/

Yeah, I saw some of that stuff. I'm fairly reluctant, however, to trust what a brand has to say about their own product. I scoured the internet before deciding on the P4 oil and FRAM Ultra Synthetic filter in my description. (Yes, FRAM. You can imagine what it took to convince me of THAT.)

I figured I would listen to other opinions and experiences.

Originally Posted By: OpenClose
Yeah, I'm not specifically looking for better cooling, though extra cooling couldn't hurt. (Is 220F high? It seemed OK to me with ambient @ 80F)

I'm mostly looking for something to pull away or reduce corrosion (and thus the corrosion sludge I was getting). I guess a detergent would be more in line with what I'm looking for, than a surfactant. But I figured if the additive has anti-corrosive properties, that might help things, too.

Or, you know, it could make it worse, or even destroy my water pump...

I dont see how it would make it worse. It contains additives to slow or reduce corrosion. And judging by your account of the cooling system, it really has nowhere to go but up from here!

As for the waterpump, I dont see any reason why an additive would destroy it. I haven't ever heard of this happening.

OP Im not sure if you have seen this or not, but RPs website has a lot of good info on Purple Ice. Check out the link below:

Yeah, I saw some of that stuff. I'm fairly reluctant, however, to trust what a brand has to say about their own product. I scoured the internet before deciding on the P4 oil and FRAM Ultra Synthetic filter in my description. (Yes, FRAM. You can imagine what it took to convince me of THAT.)

I figured I would listen to other opinions and experiences.

Pennzoil is great stuff. Dollar for dollar it may be one of the best oils out there. And if you can get persuaded to use Fram, then you should be open to anything right?
48.gif

Last edited:
For some reason, the Red Line RED (GAS) Water Wetter seems to gunk up Dex Cool systems with brown sludge, but their BLUE DIESEL WW does not.
21.gif

I've never used the RP stuff, but I've had NO problems with the Lube Gard Cool-It product.
wink.gif

Pennzoil is great stuff. Dollar for dollar it may be one of the best oils out there. And if you can get persuaded to use Fram, then you should be open to anything right?
48.gif

Well, I was between brands like Mobil1, Royal-Purple, and AMSoil. They don't sell AMS within a few hundred miles, and it is pricey. RP apparently fails shear tests, but I hear it runs smooth. But when Pennzoil announced their PurePlus stuff, I checked the reviews and found it was topping the charts everywhere.

As for FRAM, I'm not a fan of their standard filters. But the ultra synthetic was getting pretty good reviews and seemed very well-built. Beating many of the other brands.

I'm pretty picky because I bought this car (My first) at about 100k miles. It doesn't seem to have been ridden hard, because during the test drive, I have it some kick to test the SC, and the muffler exploded. Apparently not much had gone through that muffler. I'm thinking mostly idling and slow acceleration. It IS a buick, so maybe it was an older gentleman.

Quote:
As for the waterpump, I dont see any reason why an additive would destroy it. I haven't ever heard of this happening.

I've seen a couple reviews about similar products doing this. Apparently the product had coated the interior with something. SOme described it as white. I figured it sounded like calcium or aluminum oxides. Reminds me of soap scum, which damage water pumps all the time.

But that could be a tap water issue. I SPECIFICALLY used distilled (Wal-Mart) for this very purpose. Tap water is very ionic.

OP, if your system is operating at 68F above the thermostat control temperature, your (road vehicle) cooling system is out of control, and pushing more heat into the coolant through nucleate boiling.

The surfactants will reduce this phenomenon, and drop the coolant temperature by collecting LESS heat out of the engine metal than before.

Assuming that the cooling system in your road car IS under control, and control of the thermostat, there is no way on this planet that the coolant can be any cooler...the thermostat will make it the same.

Bunk "science" for any road going vehicle being operated in any sort of semi legal manner (and most illegal manners).

Water wetters, especially Amsoils Dominator Coolant Boost does work, it has very potent anti-corrosion additives which drop cooling system corrosion to essentially zero. It also does reduce warm up time, it has better heat transfer and thus allow more evenly distributed temperatures within the engine, which is important. Also, when cooling system is in fully open position and engine is running at high loads (racing, autocross, etc) the temperatures will be reduced.

In the Buick i would just flush the coolant again and use JD CoolGuard II in it.
I swapped a lot of engines especially GM over to this coolant.

After research it as much as possible on the net it seems to being well after 6 years in one car. You can use JD coolant test strips on it to see when it needs changing.
For use in diesel and gas engines. It has better corrosion and anti cavitation properties, it is neither a Dex or GO5 clone.

https://jdparts.deere.com/partsmkt/document/english/featbene/CoolGardII.pdf

48.gif

Well, I was between brands like Mobil1, Royal-Purple, and AMSoil. They don't sell AMS within a few hundred miles, and it is pricey. RP apparently fails shear tests, but I hear it runs smooth. But when Pennzoil announced their PurePlus stuff, I checked the reviews and found it was topping the charts everywhere.

As for FRAM, I'm not a fan of their standard filters. But the ultra synthetic was getting pretty good reviews and seemed very well-built. Beating many of the other brands.

I'm pretty picky because I bought this car (My first) at about 100k miles. It doesn't seem to have been ridden hard, because during the test drive, I have it some kick to test the SC, and the muffler exploded. Apparently not much had gone through that muffler. I'm thinking mostly idling and slow acceleration. It IS a buick, so maybe it was an older gentleman.

Where did you hear that royal purple fails shear tests? That sounds like shear nonsense to me.

Originally Posted By: zpinch
Water wetters, especially Amsoils Dominator Coolant Boost does work, it has very potent anti-corrosion additives which drop cooling system corrosion to essentially zero. It also does reduce warm up time, it has better heat transfer and thus allow more evenly distributed temperatures within the engine, which is important. Also, when cooling system is in fully open position and engine is running at high loads (racing, autocross, etc) the temperatures will be reduced.

Show me where there's laboratory testing that they hasten warm-up time.

They claim to reduce surface tension to increase heat transfer...that only works when there's steam bubbles (which there aren't cold, and besides, nucleate boiling transfers more heat, so they don't work there either unless the cooling system is out of control).

If they "improve" heat transfer, your metal parts stay colder, not warm up faster.

And there's only so much thermal capacity in a cooling system before the thermostat opens.

Can't argue both sides of the same coin are heads.

Show me the science.

Originally Posted By: zpinch

It is rare that I see products perform directly as advertised, but the first things I noticed when I started using Purple Ice was that my engine came to operating temp. faster and ran a couple degrees cooler. Good stuff.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
How does Purple Ice and Water Wetter compare to each other?

In the link that was provided by a previous poster, RP are comparing their product to Redline...note, in an overheating engine on a dynomometer, where a reduction in coolant temperature actually means LESS heat transfer from the engine.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
How does Purple Ice and Water Wetter compare to each other?

Check out the link I posted earlier in the thread. After seeing that I went to Oreillys and shook them side by side. Water Wetter foamed up like crazy and took 30 seconds or so to settle. RP didnt foam a bit. It is good stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back