People and the donut spare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the wife and I were on the way home last night. We are driving at 70MPH with traffic and then this Chrysler Sebring goes by at a high rate of speed on the donut!! I decided to stay away from this guy. Just waiting for that thing to blow out.

Don't these people realize the danger they put themselves in and surrounding traffic?
do they actually think it direct replacement?
I looked at my spare and it says 50 MPH MAX.

Not only that, but replacements are hard to find and are very expensive. A higher speed nylon belted version should be mandated, yet even most trailer tires are lower speed non-nylon belted junk sold at a high price.

Yeah, part of me wanted to chase him down. I just dont get it.
I have driven with the donut and the car drove weird at 35.
The scary part is I see this all the time!

Originally Posted By: rfeir
Not only that, but replacements are hard to find and are very expensive...

Not really... any wrecker will almost give you one if you ask.... because nobody ever buys a replacement donut spare.

About a year ago I was passed by a mini-van on I-75 in Ga. Not only was the donut on the pass. rear, but the idiot was also pulling a covered trailer (approx. 5x7). I was doing about 70-75 mph when he came around me.

About a half hour later, I came upon stop and go traffic. When I finally got to the 'problem', I saw the mini-van on its side in the middle of the road. The trailer was nowhere to be seen.

Not only do they ignore the tire speed rating, they dont have a clue on how much air pressure is in the donut spare. Most likely its way less than the 50-60 psi required due to normal leakage.
Just gotta get there fast regardless of how many lives they put in danger.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Where I work, people will take the spare donut and not throw the box away.

laugh.gif

A lot of people simply don't care because "I don't have a choice, I have things to do" or they think that for some reason warnings/limitations do not apply to them, or some combination. To them, the warning that they will have to slow down and will have limited safe travel range is unfair, therefore the warning is to be ignored because it's getting in the way of the things they have to do.

This attitude comes up often with customers who aren't very car savvy. If they don't like what is needed to actually fix the car, they decide it's unfair, they are getting ripped off, and they won't do it.

In some ways, this is a good reason for the inflator kits that many cars now come with instead of a donut. A full size tire/wheel filled with slime is probably safer than a worn down donut tearing along at 75 MPH. Worse for the shop that has to deal with it later, but less risky for the public maybe than donuts. Of course, when the people who drive for months on a donut find out their car doesn't have one, they pitch an unholy fit about it, because now the manufacturer is ripping them off, they got cheated out of the free tire that comes in the trunk, they don't want to pay $250 or whatever for a kit, because they were supposed to get a free tire in the trunk, etc. And of course they will NEVER buy X brand again because they are so mad about getting cheated out of the tire they were going to drive on for months or years.

Originally Posted By: hsd
Not only do they ignore the tire speed rating, they dont have a clue on how much air pressure is in the donut spare. Most likely its way less than the 50-60 psi required due to normal leakage.
Just gotta get there fast regardless of how many lives they put in danger.
Yup, it doesn't occur to most people to fill their spare. When I inflate family members tires I always do the spare, which is usually flat. What's the purpose of having a spare tire when it's flat too? I had a flat in my driveway a few months ago and changed it to a fully inflated spare, sure is nice. It's also nice that I have a full size spare.

They forgot its on there...like the fools who drive 85 mph with a trailer behind...

Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Where I work, people will take the spare donut and not throw the box away.

laugh.gif

crackmeup2.gif

FWIU, any DOT passenger car tire, including compact spares, has to be capable of a sustained speed of 85 MPH at maximum load at whatever inflation pressure the tire maker specifies.
If I'm right, then tire destruction isn't a concern with a donut at speeds below that.
Degraded braking and handling along with possible damage to the transaxle on a FWD automatic are.

Shoot, in these parts I've seen the hooptys diving on FOUR compact spares, on the interstate. Not as scary as the time the old Dynasty passed me on I-75 going 70+ on FOUR ALLOYS WITH NO TIRES!! The Man upstairs was looking out for that one!

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
FWIU, any DOT passenger car tire, including compact spares, has to be capable of a sustained speed of 85 MPH at maximum load at whatever inflation pressure the tire maker specifies.
If I'm right, then tire destruction isn't a concern with a donut at speeds below that.
Degraded braking and handling along with possible damage to the transaxle on a FWD automatic are.

^Correct^

Apart from the degraded braking and handling and final drive wear, most but not all donuts are bias ply tires. Mixing bias with radial on the same axle is fatal, that is where the 50 mph speed limit comes in.

When a donut self-destructs it is usually from under inflation. They are eight ply rated tires whether they are bias or radial, so they need 60 psi to reach their full rated load capacity.

Originally Posted By: Cardenio327
Originally Posted By: fdcg27

^Correct^

Apart from the degraded braking and handling and final drive wear, most but not all donuts are bias ply tires. Mixing bias with radial on the same axle is fatal, that is where the 50 mph speed limit comes in.

Maybe that was true before, but most donuts these days seem to be radials. I think there's some cool videos of some cars with 4 donuts on youtube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back