Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Quote:
I think it pretty much boiled down to the fact that many of my Facebook "friends" revealed themselves to be more narcissistic than I realized. In one way I suppose I owe it to Facebook for shining the light on these folks and giving me a new perspective on them. But...I must confess that for a time, I was compelled to feel that I needed to compete with some for best travel photos or daily adventures. In reality, we all lead fairly mundane lives and posting daily activities is really rather dull.

A pretty good amount of non-intrusive controls can be implemented to minimize any access that you mentioned. Your mailbox should be secure.

Although millions enjoy using Facebook, if any sort of real internet privacy is desired....I'd skip being a member. Or, if general comments/opinions from relatives and pseudo-friends tend to bug you...you'd better skip it. It's almost like when you sit around the table at Thanksgiving. Can't say what you really think, and you must tolerate those that irritate you.

andrewg,

Yep. + 1000000000

Never been on FB as I'm 53 and don't care about what 'friends' , coworkers, family, neighbors, etc.... are doing or where they go on vacation. The thing about FB is that some families have destroyed their relationship because of a few snarky posts by some relatives.

Seems like too many people are trying to 'one up' the other person and trying to be someone they are not.

Google: Facebook feud in San Antonio

I'm 52...so we come from the relatively same time period when a simple phone call, letter, or visit was how REAL friends kept in touch.

Facebook was useful for me to find people I haven't been able to locate for decades. But then after contacting them through this social network, I was sometimes very disappointed. I don't blame Facebook for that, but it seems like just the nature of it promotes people to try and one-up each other.

One Facebook friend (who otherwise was a decent guy) kept posting these daily messages about where he was and what he was doing. Stuff as uninteresting as getting his car washed or going to the doctor. Why do people post that stuff?

Another individual thought it perfectly normal to post photos of himself in various poses.....complete with his shirt off and think he was a bodybuilder or something. Very embarrassing.

Yep... pics of cars, boats, houses, vacations, girlfriends, and anything that made them look "cool". I also can't believe how parents allow children to post so many pics of themselves. Some I've seen are rather provocative....and the girls are only 14-16 years old.

One difficult thing was trying to "unfriend" people and the complicated nature of what that can entail. It can actually cause family squabbles and lost friendships.

My girlfriend has extended family all over the place...she must have 100 or so Facebook friends. I don't know how or why she stays with it. She sometimes complains about it. I just tell her you either ignore those you find annoying....unfriend them....or just get out of the whole thing. She's still in Facebook but mostly to keep in contact with just a few close family members.

Personally, I'm in my early 50s and I find Facebook a shooting gallery and vacuum for obtaining personal information that you don't necessarily want others to know. I'm not interested in giving a potential employer access to my Facebook information just as I'm not interested in how many "cyberfriends" I have or care if they "like" what I post.

I currently use a European-based search engine that doesn't record your IP address and manages cookies differently than most if not all other browsers. You can view content through a proxy if you want to and have at least somewhat of a greater sense that everything isn't being recorded about you for marketing and government tracking information. You're never secure but if you research internet privacy you'll see that "they" can mostly do what they want and when they want if they really want to...either explicitly authorized by the TOS that you didn't read and just checked the box...or implicitly by other means that aren't necessarily tracked until there's a complaint or there's a Snowden-esque revelation.

My ex girlfriend from high school contacted my sister (both on Facebook) asking about me. I told my sister I'm not interested in Facebook and getting in touch with people from the past.

If she really wanted to contact me she would ask my sister for my phone number.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
All you need to know about Facebook is the owner believes all information should be available to anyone at any time. It does things you can't believe as far as gathering info. My daughter is deep in the software industry, knows the inside dope and won't go near it.

If that's the case then why not provide some examples?

Not being very computer literate I couldn't in any detail explain what she told us. Somehow FB reaches out and makes connections to you and gathers data on you that has nothing to do with your membership or your "friends" or your consumer habits. My late 20s, conservative, successful daughter is very concerned about what FB is doing, in her field of expertise she's seldom wrong, that's all I need to know. I choose not to be part of FB's database.

I used to work in a data center, but more on the hardware side. I knew a guy who worked on the security system side (he ran security for the whole university IT), and he too said similar things about Facebook and deleted his account. Some of it is harmless annoying stuff such as cookies, which is why you see ads on web sites for stuff you have recently searched. The other is personal information (like address, school, work, etc). They can say they "don't" use your information all they want, but it is extremely difficult to prove if they do use it, and they have big lawyers for that.

Not to mention if you apply for a job, one of the first things the hiring department will do now is Facebook search you. If there are lots of pictures of you hammered, you might not get a second interview. Not saying it is right, but it's public information, and they want to gather as much info as they can about candidates.

I don't really have anything to hide, and rarely give personal info over the internet (like credit card or address) but I deleted my facebook mainly for the annoyance it created. It was a waste of time, and people are so self-centered.

Originally Posted By: opus1

Facebook matched me up with a former coworker. I had never mentioned the former employer, nor the person's name, she moved to downstate Illinois since we've worked together, and I didn't actively search for her but one day she popped up in one of FB's "People you may know" suggestions.

This is exactly what my daughter was talking about right here. Think it's harmless? Carry on...

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
The other is personal information (like address, school, work, etc).

The simple solution here is don't provide the info. I've never given Facebook my phone number, address or employer.

Quote:
Not to mention if you apply for a job, one of the first things the hiring department will do now is Facebook search you. If there are lots of pictures of you hammered, you might not get a second interview. Not saying it is right, but it's public information, and they want to gather as much info as they can about candidates.

Facebook has privacy settings. My account is set so only friends can view it. If a prospective employer searched me, the only thing they would see is that I have an account. My info isn't visible to anyone. Don't blame Facebook if people aren't smart enough to protect themselves.

I'll bet FB has your personal info and phone number in your file right now. You don't have to provide it, with what they do know about you, and your friends, they go out and find it. FB actively searches out every last bit of data associated with you.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
It's almost like when you sit around the table at Thanksgiving.

This is true. LOL!

As with the photos, I do find it easier to just upload them to Facebook. I have many pics of my (now deceased) pets on FB. Its just easier to keep them there i suppose. The GF and I do a lot of hiking/ small adventure stuff so once again its easier to put the pics there rather than a flash drive. Lots of people/ family enjoy seeing them too.. At least thats the impression I get when my close friends like my posts. Lol.

I really do need to do a FB friends purge though.

Last edited:
This will make you dislike (haha) facebook even more:
http://www.radiolab.org/story/trust-engineers/

Its useful for what it is and its up to each person to use or get used by the almighty online social network. I've begun hiding lots of friend's feeds that are just annoying and pedantic with nothing interesting to me (yeah, the ones who tell us all about their morning coffee and other stupid things).

Oh, that reminded me of a good read:
7 Ways To Be Insufferable On Facebook

^really, really, good read (great blog in general)

Here's a snippet from the blog:

3) The Literal Status Update

Description:
An actual status update on someone’s mundane day.

Examples:
-Off to the gym, then class reading
-Dumplings!
-Finally finished my paper!

Core reasons for posting: Loneliness; Narcissism; Thinking a status update is supposed to be an actual status update

Allow me to present a visual—
Literal+Graph.jpg

Originally Posted By: whip
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
The other is personal information (like address, school, work, etc).

The simple solution here is don't provide the info. I've never given Facebook my phone number, address or employer.

Quote:

Facebook has privacy settings. My account is set so only friends can view it. If a prospective employer searched me, the only thing they would see is that I have an account. My info isn't visible to anyone. Don't blame Facebook if people aren't smart enough to protect themselves.

Unfortunately, it's a little more nefarious than just "protecting yourself" up to and including prospective employers wanting your FB password...yes, it's true. How much do you want that job???

I made a decision of FB.

This FB thing will be an additional way of my HS classmates to communicate with each other. I control the EMail contact list so that is very secure.

I will ask someone who uses facebook to set it up as an additional way that classmates can contact each other. I have elected not to share classmates emails with the entire class. This way any emails that get to other classmates will by intent.

Thanks for all the comments.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
surfstar,

I take it your wife is not on FB ?

My g/f is and we post photos from our weekend adventures
laugh.gif

(oh g/f, not meant as a joke, I'm not married)

FB is a great way to keep in touch with people and share group photos. Thing is, you have to limit the people you interact with to actual friends. I don't care about some random high school 'friend' who is complaining about their job/relationship/politics/etc. Luckily they make it easy to hide or unfriend people (wasn't always that way).

I don't do twitter, instagram, etc. FB is plenty of online social interaction (besides forums, where you can actually learn things)

34 y/o - as age is quite relevant in these threads

I'll bet FB has your personal info and phone number in your file right now. You don't have to provide it, with what they do know about you, and your friends, they go out and find it. FB actively searches out every last bit of data associated with you.

How? My FB profile has a nickname instead of my real first name. My last name is very common. My address is public record, but I have a hard time believing FB actively seeks this info.

Man, some of you guys worry way to much about facebook...

Many places give your info away, and they are not even internet based....
shocked.gif

Granted we could live in caves....that might help, but might be a bit cold!
happy2.gif

Credit Card companies know all about you - where, when, how often, you shop, spending habits, etc. Google knows all about your online presence. FB knows all your annoying 'friends' that you no longer like.
If any of this truly concerns you, you shouldn't be online at all.

Welcome to 1984
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back