A little over 1 year with the Focus ST.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So after about 1 year and 15,000 miles, I thought I would jot down a few things about the ST.

- Two warranty issues popped up pretty quickly after delivery.

1. The third brake light on the spoiler wasn't sealed properly and filling with water. It would dry out, but the condensation would stay in there. Forums stated it was pretty common on these cars. After the new light was put in, I filled the area around the screws with RTV sealant since that was where the seal issue came from. Didn't want to go back to the dealer for something like that. No issues came back up.

2. When it got hot outside (80F+) and i drove for a while, the car would make a click-click-click noise when turning the steering wheel all the way left or right at a dead stop. I forget exactly what got changed out, paperwork is filed away, but either way it was fixed.

3. Also, I am pretty glad we picked up the tire and wheel coverage ($350 for 5 years). In one years time I had two tire blow outs and one wheel replaced from pot hole damage. Got to love those low profile tires. : /

- Interior noises that could drive some OCD folk nuts.

Okay, so the interior in the ST is pretty solid. I would say a bit above average for it's class but nothing mind blowing. Most (keyword here being most) materials are of good quality, soft and strong plastics, and nice fitment of everything.

But some areas you notice the cost-cutting. Brittle and cheap plastics seem to be most noticeable for whats used for the air vents, headlight switch module, and certain areas around the dashboard. Maybe I wouldn't notice it if I was in a regular Focus, but the very stiff and hard suspension on this vehicle really brings this out. Windows down, music up, you're golden... but keep it all quiet and go over some rough roads, you'll hear the slight rattles.

- And that's where the cons end for the most part.

Some could argue that the steering is way too sensitive. Don't keep your eyes off the road too long in this thing because any slight move on the wheel will move this car quite a bit.

This also leads up into the driving dynamics and fun factor with the ST though. For 25k, I can't imagine getting much more enjoyment out of something that is such a driver's car yet still very good for packing up the kids and hauling some stuff with the seats down.

The ST has 252hp/270tq and moves out great. You always have power on command and the 2.0 EcoBoost matched with the 6-speed makes you smile whenever you get on it a bit. Handling is superb and you have a ton of confidence around turns in this thing. It really does a lot for a FWD car.

Even though the ST has Electronic Steering, it has a good heavy feel to it through turns. I personally never cared for two things when driving: Overly light steering, and an overly light clutch pedal. The clutch surprised almost everyone I know who drove this ST. Maybe thats not for everyone, but I always felt that driving and engagement was better for me with a heavier feeling ride.

MPG is consistent and solid. In the winter with snow tires we would average 21-23MPG with mixed driving, now with the summers back on it hovers around 24-26MPG. I am impressed with the fuel economy with this thing and a super relaxed highway drive can get you close to 35MPG. The gas tank is painfully small though, so you're constantly filling up which can be a bit of a nuisance.

The paint is very nice on the ST. This one is "Race Red". Not usually a red car person, but this red from Ford really stands out. I always liked it. In direct sun its almost an orange and at night its a very, very deep red.

I am sure I am missing a couple things. Either way the car is a blast and I'd recommend it to most.

I considered one a few years ago but the ford dealers wanted to be cute with the pricing.

Not paying msrp for a focus st(25k+) when I can get a forester Premium at -2% INVOICE(23k)

certainly the 2 cars are very different. But they are similar in that I was interested in both.

Also less speeding tickets this way
smile.gif

There is a little something to that saying
"Driving a slow car fast is more fun than driving a fast car slow"

And while neither is a supercar the focus st is much "faster" than the 175hp forester
smile.gif
both are 6mt
smile.gif

Last edited:
I went from Evo recaros to the ST recaros and I hated the ones in the ford. I was very uncomfortable in them. I traded the ST in after only 8 months.

The ST is a great hot hatch but never quite interested me. Now the Focus RS (with the extra 70hp and AWD) looks perfect.

The steering rim looks fairly thick, Honda S2000 steering rim is a little too thin, I like a thick steering rim especially for a sport/performance car.

The S2000 also has manual adjust Recaro seats, the only adjustment is for-aft and seatback recline. It is fairly comfortable on 50-100 miles drive.

I almost considered getting a low miles used one, but the deal really wasn't there (not much cheaper than new) and I don't really need horsepower anymore to get me into trouble.
smile.gif

Thank you for sharing. Seems like a solid buy, not to mention fun. Ford is definitely on top of its game where Hot Hatches is concerned. I love the Fiesta ST.

Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
Are the Recaros comfortable on a long drive?

from other reviews I've read, they are pretty uncomfortable for most drivers who aren't "slim-hipped" (majority of the population)

+1

I am 5'11" and 165lbs, relatively small guy. I find them to be really comfortable, even on long drives. But I am fastened in that seat pretty good so I can imagine the Recaros to be too snug for some.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
It should be noted that the Recaros are an option ...

They sure do look nice! Does the driver's seat have adjustable lumbar support? If it does, that would be perfect for me. I need extra lumbar support. I am one of those slim hipped drivers who really appreciates side bolsters, too!

No adjustable lumbar support. Power height, toward back, and to recline. It would be nice if it did though!

Thanks for the update. I would have given the Focus ST a good look if it had been available when I bought my Mazdaspeed 3. I'm trying to be patient and wait for the Focus RS or-hopefully-the rumored 300+ bhp AWD Mazdaspeed 3 before I consider buying something else.

Have you considered adding the Ford Racing ecu tune and intake? It reportedly boosts torque by up to 90 lb-ft while fattening the torque curve from 2800 to 4000 rpm. If a Ford dealer installs it the warranty remains intact. For comparison purposes, my Mazdaspeed picked up @40 bhp and 44 lb-ft of torque with a Mazdaspeed intake and a Hypertech tune.

Another thing I like about the ST is the neutral suspension balance and the ability to provoke a bit of oversteer. I had to install Koni FSDs as well as a JBR rear anti-roll bar(set at 150% of OEM roll stiffness) in order to get the Mazdaspeed to handle in a similar fashion.

Nice car!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back