Spark plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its been awhile since ive owned a auto that didn't have iridium spark plugs. Well, the 06 Milan has standard sparkplugs in it. Its now got 45,000 on the clock. Ive noticed that the car seems to miss just a little during warm up 1,500 RPM you can feel it and see the needle jump just ever so slightly. However after the first 90 seconds or so is smooth's right out. I only started noticing the little miss at startup a few months back, its definitely not bad, just annoying for the particular (me) no, no codes, nothing like that. so Im leaning towards thinking I have a plug that's on its way out. In my younger years dad always said change out sparkplugs around 30,000/40,000 miles This may still be true, or it could be old thinking.

What say you ?

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Usually crust on valve head pistons and CC cause that miss. I would guess that Milan really has PT plugs at least.

car usually gets at least midgrade fuel (FYI) I will add a bottle of Techron tonight. Even with that, mileage wise, When should I be considering the first tuneup on the girl ? This car sat ALOT between purchase in 06 and me buying it in 2013 with 21,000 on it. In the past two years ive done atleast 5 oil changes around 7,000 miles each and put a new air filter in it.. Otherwise its just been driven.

Last edited:
every auto ive ever owned got a bottle of techron at each oil change.. this car has not, and to be perfectly honest I didn't think I was going to keep it. I

You may have driven past the useful life of the spark plugs. Anything you do besides changing the plugs might not help the problem enough to be worth avoiding the spark plug change.

What does the maintenance schedule say for changing the spark plugs? What I'm seeing says 100,000 miles.

You're a looooong way from that.

Italiano Tunepp0

cool.gif

If it's the I4, use the stock copper, or upgrxde to platinum.

If you have the V65, then use iridium if they're available. I know that most transverse V6's are difficult to do the plugs on, so for that reason, iridium is the way to go since you won;t have to go back down there again for another 100k.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
has standard sparkplugs in it. Its now got 45,000 on the clock.

If they really are standard plugs, you're past due for replacement.

If it is a 4cyl, it had Iridium plugs stock, the part number is SP-530. If it is the 6 cyl it had platinum stock, the part number is SP-433.

Those might be a double platinum, Ford just calls them all platinum.

The car is equipped with the 6cyl and its a 06 That said I believe they are Platinum plugs. I stopped and got a big bottle of Techron last night and topped the car off after adding the whole (treats 20 gallons) bottle. I was at half tank with 87 topped up with 92 octain premium. Drove the car home (12 miles) and upon starting it this morning it was absolutely smooth as glass.. not so much as a miss or a hiccup.. also funny is I reset the MPG meter at every fillup, the car instantly jumped up a full 1.5 MPG. I know 12 miles wont be long enough to get a real reading on MPG however I thought it noteworthy. No, haven't looked in the owners manual to see what the maintence schedule is for the plugs in this car.

Unfortunately, it's probably not the plugs.

The Milan/Fusion has slightly different coilpacks than the Mazda6 did, but that was how it began. (the Mazda's coilpacks look just like an F150's with a 180° boot. The Fusion/Milan have a different shaped coil part.

It's usually one of the back three that fail. And it will have an intermittent miss for a long time before it sets a CEL.

I always did the plugs when I did the coilpacks. Never had a bad plug. Gap erosion was minimal if present at all.

I don't find techron to work safely without killing something else.
Italiano Tunepp0

just curious, What are you finding ? whats it kill ? This is the very first negative I think ive ever heard on Techron.

You do not know ARCO; he has managed to blow up only handful of engines. AND NONE OF THAT WAS HIS FAULT!

well to be honest my past few years on BOB has been hit and miss.. so im not completely up to speed.. I still have a hard time getting my head around bad Puro filters.. and that's a hot topic/was a hot topic.. so one members particulars can get by me.. so no, I did not not know.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
Italiano Tunepp0

just curious, What are you finding ? whats it kill ? This is the very first negative I think ive ever heard on Techron.
And we haven't heard the specifics yet.

Quote:
Italiano Tunepp0

What I think he's saying (in a bad Italian accent) is he can't get any Techron out there in the olive groves.
He's forced to do an "Italian tuneup", i.e. drive like a cat out of Hades, which could kill something else (Maserati, human, donkey etc.).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back