New vacuum

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had a lightweight bagged Riccar for over 10 years. It has no tools on it, that's what my wet/dry vac is for. The roller is wood on sealed ball bearings. It's made in Missouri and they have a model that MSRP's for $280. Replaced the belt once and numerous bags, that's it.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Been doing some research on this myself. I hate bagless with a passion. Bagged vacuums are hard to find in many stores nowadays. I was at BestBuy the other day, and they don't carry a single bagged vacuum model.

I like Miele canister vacs, but I'm not sure if that falls under your definition of "reasonably priced." They're somewhat on a pricey side. I still haven't bought one, but if I do, it'll probably be Miele.

We have a Miele and it is 10 years old and going strong. I get my bags off Ebay for a reasonable price. The vacuum works great and has held up very well. Amazing how fast the bag fills up with all the hair from our Yellow Lab during shedding season. I highly recommend Miele.

I will never buy an expensive vacuum. Anything over $150 is too much in my book.

It's just my opinion....but vacuums are all pretty much cheap pieces of junk. Almost all of them break down after a few years...cheap and expensive alike. I've not seen much difference at all.

I buy simple bagless....under $100....and I own two. Cheap Hoover Sprint Quick-vacs. Plastic (as 95% are) and light. They work as well as vacuums costing three times as much.

If one cheap breaks down (not yet....4 years on them), I'll just go buy another one.

No way I'll pay hundreds.

Originally Posted By: redhat
I will check out Miele.

That is what we bought......On the recommendation of the repair guy at the vacuum shop. 5 years, all good so far.

Originally Posted By: andrewg

It's just my opinion....but vacuums are all pretty much cheap pieces of junk. Almost all of them break down after a few years...cheap and expensive alike. I've not seen much difference at all.

This. I know someone who worked for Hoover, and he tested longevity of the machines. Not to improve reliability, but to make sure they didn't last too long.

If one cheap breaks down (not yet....4 years on them), I'll just go buy another one.

That's kind of been my approach over the years. Surprisingly after 10+ years, my cheap $40 Dirt Devil is still going strong. However, there are some things it's not good at such as vacuuming carpeted stairs. It seems you have to spend a bit more to get something that's competent/convenient for doing that.

Also FYI, Miele gives 7-year warranty, but it's not a bumper-to-bumper type warranty unfortunately.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

That's kind of been my approach over the years. Surprisingly after 10+ years, my cheap $40 Dirt Devil is still going strong. However, there are some things it's not good at such as vacuuming carpeted stairs. It seems you have to spend a bit more to get something that's competent/convenient for doing that.

Also FYI, Miele gives 7-year warranty, but it's not a bumper-to-bumper type warranty unfortunately.

Fortunately, the lady in my life is a fairly practical woman. She doesn't like to spend much on fancy vacuum cleaners either.

I would hope that for the price tag ($350-$550) a Miele vacuum would last a while.

To me, that's more like the price I'd pay for a walk behind lawn mower. Maybe.

No way I'll pay hundreds.

+1

There's more important things I'd rather spend my money on...like oil changes
smile.gif

I don't remember all the details, but the name "Electrolux" in the U.S.wasn't used by the European Electrolux company, but the company now known as Aerus.
Mine is made in Hungary. Some Electrolux models are made in China. I watched ebay and bought a lightly used demo model for a huge discount. [/quote]

Yea mine is Aerus its 16 years old and still going strong. Smart to get a USED ON ON EBAY.

I will never buy an expensive vacuum. Anything over $150 is too much in my book.

In my case my wife loved her 30 year old Electrolux. I said it was not worth $700 to get another one. I bought a cheap Hoover. She told me to stick it down in the basement. She promptly went out and bought another "electrolux" 17 years later..still going strong. Assuming it go 25 years..so $28 a year?? Thats a couple of Mc Meals..lol.

Last edited:
There's something to be said for buying very inexpensive things and hoping it works out in the long run. This especially works if you truly don't care about the qualities of the thing.

That said I don't think it's at all unreasonable to spend $500 or whatever on a vacuum that you'll be using nearly every day to keep your home clean. I've used cheap vacuums and I'm glad every time I get our Electrolux out that I don't have one. This is the same reason people spend more on nice tools, that we don't all drive base model Nissan Versas, etc.

jeff

My son sold Kirbys door to door in the early nineties and won a new Kirby model G in a sales contest. He sold it to me and his mom for $300 and it has been bullet proof for over 20 years. He was selling them at the time for $1,000 plus, and sold alot of them.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Having said all that, I recently bought one of the newer Euro-made Electrolux vacs. I went with one of the Ultrasilencer models. It's very quiet and cleans well and has a fully sealed HEPA filter.

Mine is made in Hungary. Some Electrolux models are made in China. I watched ebay and bought a lightly used demo model for a huge discount.

i bought one from amazon, open-box (more like destroyed box, but none of the content affected).
my advice would be don't use the paper bags on this one, but any other kind. bags cheap on ebay or other online stores.

Bought a Hoover Windtunel Air steerable last year and so far I'm happy enough for the price I paid ($190).

It is easy to steer and dump, the wand is not as easy to use compare to other vacuum I had in the past. The suction is strong but I can't comment on the durability yet (but it does have 5 years warranty).

We have a Miele canister vac as well as a Kirby upright. The Kirby is still going strong after 28 years. The Miele was purchased around 5 years ago and it looks to be built to last a long time as well.

$67 Bissell on Amazon, highly rated, was so impressed bought a second one.

Last edited:
We are on our second Panasonic.
Wore the first one out.
This one does a remarkable job, even with two cats.
Nice piece for $150.

I bought one of these back in 2007. Eureka Boss The link is actually the new version of the one I bought in 2007. When it died, actually I killed it with a piece of twine in 2013, I bought the one in the link. The new one seems to be just as good as the old version.

The old one sucked a piece of sisal twine I didn't see around the beater brush and before I could get it shut off it burned up the motor.

They seem to last really well and they really do suck!

I've got a Bissel bagless that just sits in the closet. I really don't like cleaning out that container. Too bad too because it does a good job.

I've owned Kirby's back when we had our retail stores. They took a beating and they kept right on doing their job, no complaints there. But they ARE heavy!

I've had Panasonics, many years ago, and didn't find them to do all that great a job so kind of gave up on them.

We have a Kenmore canister that we bought 20 years ago for the motor home. It still does a good job, but we don't use the motor home much any more and the canister is in a tub next to the Bissel bagless most of the time!

I guess, taking personal preference into account, I'd recommend the Eureka. It does a good job, lasts a good while and is easy to maintain. Maybe the only drawback is that it's a little heavier than some.

Hope you find a good one that meets your needs!

Larry

p.s. Yes, I do the vacuuming! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back