2011 Buick Enclave - Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a used 2011 Buick Enclave with 57K. According to the maintenance records left in the glove box, the previous owner used Mobil 1 synthetic. I'm sure the stealership didn't put in standard oil when they brought the vehicle in and I'm going to swap it out soon.

I've always used Mobil1 in my vehicles, so should I stick with it? Any recommendations for the Enclave? I live in San Antonio, TX...hot hot hot.

Thanks!

Last edited:
If M1 was previously used, that's what I'd stick with. A good product that's available everywhere.

That's kinda what I thought.

Oh and I meant to say, "I'm sure the stealership put in standard oil when they brought the vehicle in and I'm going to swap it out soon." NOT, "didn't."

Being a 2011 it might be calling for Dexos approved oil, which Mobil 1 meets. My 2010 didn't spell it out, but I think it was just before Dexos was official.

Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman
Being a 2011 it might be calling for Dexos approved oil, which Mobil 1 meets. My 2010 didn't spell it out, but I think it was just before Dexos was official.

Yes, it spells out Dexos in the owner's manual. I've read some places that M1 isn't good for GM vehicles. I've never owned a GM, so I don't know one way or the other. I've always used M1 in my Nissans and Mazdas.

Originally Posted By: alaskanseminole
Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman

Yes, it spells out Dexos in the owner's manual. I've read some places that M1 isn't good for GM vehicles. I've never owned a GM, so I don't know one way or the other. I've always used M1 in my Nissans and Mazdas.

Mobil 1 is the factory fill in Corvettes. I wonder what the problem with using M1 in GMs is?

Originally Posted By: bigt61
If M1 was previously used, that's what I'd stick with. A good product that's available everywhere.

+1

If you care to you can read more then you ever wanted on the encloaveforum.net site about oil the the 3.6 DI in the Lambda platform vehicles. M1, based on UOAs does not do well in that engine in that vehicle for whatever reason(s). The engines chews it up and spits it out. One of the best UOAs is a guy who post here who uses plan ol VWB. He has consistent records that proves out the good UOAs. However, it appears the oil of choice is PP or PUP. I have used PU and PUP in my 09 with good results. I have also used Amsoil. Currently I am using Kendall Full Synthetic and it appears to be working well. I think there are two keys to keeping the 3.6 in the Lambda platform going strong is to watch the oil level like a hawk and and limit OCIs to 5K miles regardless of what the OLM says. I wold also recommend that you use the PF-63 size oil filter VS the PF-48.

I've read some places that M1 isn't good for GM vehicles. I've never owned a GM, so I don't know one way or the other.

Many of GM's cars come from the factory with M1. There is nothing wrong with it.

In my experience, your oil choice will be the least of your worries with a GM.

Originally Posted By: lonestar
If you care to you can read more then you ever wanted on the encloaveforum.net site about oil the the 3.6 DI in the Lambda platform vehicles. M1, based on UOAs does not do well in that engine in that vehicle for whatever reason(s). The engines chews it up and spits it out. One of the best UOAs is a guy who post here who uses plan ol VWB. He has consistent records that proves out the good UOAs. However, it appears the oil of choice is PP or PUP. I have used PU and PUP in my 09 with good results. I have also used Amsoil. Currently I am using Kendall Full Synthetic and it appears to be working well. I think there are two keys to keeping the 3.6 in the Lambda platform going strong is to watch the oil level like a hawk and and limit OCIs to 5K miles regardless of what the OLM says. I wold also recommend that you use the PF-63 size oil filter VS the PF-48.

Forgive me for not being up on current lingo, but what does PP and PUP mean?

PUP=Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (you'll also see PurePlus on the label)
PP=Pennzoil Platinum
The PP is available in cheap 5-quart jugs at Walmart at least, and its a great oil from a company that tries very hard to get it right!

I've got the 3.6 V6 too, same model year, in another vehicle. My favorite is Castrol Edge Extended Performance full synthetic, in the 5-quart gold jugs at Walmart for $28. Its dexos1 approved, but very likely exceeds the minimum requirements of that spec by far.

Gotta say though, I've never seen a synthetic oil with better wear results than Kendall GT-1 full synthetic. They were advertising that it scored 15 microns (zero is perfect score, 60 is max allowable) on the sequenceIIIG, and 14 microns (zero is perfect, 90 max) on the sequenceIVA. www.petroleumservicecompany.com is maybe the best source for it, ordered online.

Originally Posted By: fredfactory

PUP=Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (you'll also see PurePlus on the label)
PP=Pennzoil Platinum
The PP is available in cheap 5-quart jugs at Walmart at least, and its a great oil from a company that tries very hard to get it right!

I've got the 3.6 V6 too, same model year, in another vehicle. My favorite is Castrol Edge Extended Performance full synthetic, in the 5-quart gold jugs at Walmart for $28. Its dexos1 approved, but very likely exceeds the minimum requirements of that spec by far.

Gotta say though, I've never seen a synthetic oil with better wear results than Kendall GT-1 full synthetic. They were advertising that it scored 15 microns (zero is perfect score, 60 is max allowable) on the sequenceIIIG, and 14 microns (zero is perfect, 90 max) on the sequenceIVA. www.petroleumservicecompany.com is maybe the best source for it, ordered online.

Thanks for the break out. I've been reading that the 3.6 DI is, in fact, very hard on certain oils, like my go-to-oil, M1. I've emailed Blackstone labs to see if they recommend a certain type/brand, but I'm doubtful they'd be willing to "endorse" any one company for obvious reasons.

Kendal partial synthetic is what I ran on my vehicles prior to 100K, then I switched to M1. I may have look into either the Kendall Full or the Castrol Edge and stick to a lower OCI as I'm reading the OLM can take the Enclaves well past 10K.

Thanks!

As for Mobil1 oil, they have never distinguished themselves on User Oil Analyses as far as I can tell. I admire the company, their involvement in racing, their R&D. Their M1 0w-40 product is likely very good though, meeting LL-01 and MB229.5 etc.

6 quarts in my 3.6 V6, others might be 5.5 quarts. They set the OLM down to low miles on the 2011's due to possible timing chain issues or something.

Also, Kendall GT-1 is tempting to use because they use titanium, boron, and moly, probably how they get such good wear-test results! Other oils use 1 or 2 of the above anti-wear chemicals.

Last edited:

So your saying that the factory fill on the Corvette and Z28 Camaro is bad for them...because you read "some places" say this.

Awesome
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: fredfactory
As for Mobil1 oil, they have never distinguished themselves on User Oil Analyses as far as I can tell. I admire the company, their involvement in racing, their R&D. Their M1 0w-40 product is likely very good though, meeting LL-01 and MB229.5 etc.

6 quarts in my 3.6 V6, others might be 5.5 quarts. They set the OLM down to low miles on the 2011's due to possible timing chain issues or something.

Also, Kendall GT-1 is tempting to use because they use titanium, boron, and moly, probably how they get such good wear-test results! Other oils use 1 or 2 of the above anti-wear chemicals.

I still use M1 in my 05 Tribute and am getting about 10K between drains. Iron was high last time, though 51, so I'm wondering if I should switch to a Cat IV or just stay with M1/Cat III.

As for the, Buick, after 38 pages of reading on the enclaveforum, I think I'm going to go with the Penz Plat. I'd rather go with the Ultra, but I don't want to void my warranty since I'm still under 100K. If UOA gives me good results with PP, I'll likely switch to the Penz Ultra at 100K.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer

So your saying that the factory fill on the Corvette and Z28 Camaro is bad for them...because you read "some places" say this.

Awesome
thumbsup2.gif

Let me be more specific. I've been reading (and looking at UAO reports posted on line) that the GM 3.6 DI v6 eats M1 for lunch. There's a 38-page thread on the enclaveforum where folks have been posting their results since 2010 and M1 isn't doing well in those GM engines.

My apologies for the generalization.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer

Awesome
thumbsup2.gif

Let me be more specific. I've been reading (and looking at UAO reports posted on line) that the GM 3.6 DI v6 eats M1 for lunch. There's a 38-page thread on the enclaveforum where folks have been posting their results since 2010 and M1 isn't doing well in those GM engines.

My apologies for the generalization.

"Not doing well" is a bit ambiguous. In what way, or ways is it "not doing well"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back