New vacuum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to be moving in a month and want to purchase a new vacuum. After having a bag-less, I will never again purchase one. I would much rather change a bag.

Has anyone bought a reasonably priced bagged vacuum that they like lately?

Thanks.

Been doing some research on this myself. I hate bagless with a passion. Bagged vacuums are hard to find in many stores nowadays. I was at BestBuy the other day, and they don't carry a single bagged vacuum model.

I like Miele canister vacs, but I'm not sure if that falls under your definition of "reasonably priced." They're somewhat on a pricey side. I still haven't bought one, but if I do, it'll probably be Miele.

I found the same thing looking through the stores.

I always see advertisements for a family owned vacuum retailer near me. I should check them out.

Perhaps this is a situation where an investment in a well built machine will be worthwhile if it provides years of decent service.

sears still has kenmore elite bagged vacuums that are very good in their price range.

they also have cheapies starting at 60$

Last edited:
The Eureka Smart Boss usually makes a Consumer Reports "best buy". Its around $140. I have 3, one on each floor.

The newest type is a direct drive (no belt). But expensive.

I would avoid Sharp and Red Devil, cheaply made IMHO.

You want a clutch or something to be able to disengage the beater bar.

The beater bar is the rolling brushes? Great info coming in!

My Dad needed one recently, and was going to get a Panasonic that Consumer Reports rated a "best buy", but was impossible to find in any brick & mortar store near him. He bought the next "best buy" on the list, Kenmore Progressive 21614, and said it's the best vacuum he's ever owned. Looks like it's currently on sale for $250, which is what he paid a few months ago.

I'm sick of the cheap junk we have bought in the past. Looking at a Dyson now, but will check out the other brands noted here.

We purchased a Kenmore upright vac about five years ago based on Consumer Reports recommendations. It functions very well and my wife hates it. Engineers didn't get the top cord support right and the cord comes off while we vacuum(That's right, I use the vac too) and that *&^ @#* cord falling off is a pita. Other than that, the direct drive machine does what one expects out of a vacuum cleaner. The current machine may have been improved. I believe CR tested vacs in this months issue. The one thing I like about Kenmore products is the ease in finding parts. Happy vacuuming.

Seems like most things that were good 15 years ago are now [censored], but my Hoover WindTunnel is still going strong. Looks like they still make a couple of bagged versions...

Do you want a canister or upright? Once you've made the fine choice not to buy a bagless, this is the next question. I find a canister with a powered roller is the most versatile and easiest to use. A very good one will not be inexpensive, a cheap one will be terrible. Something like this is probably a good compromise if you're very cost-conscious.

I've had an old-school Electrolux 2100 for 15 years, it's needed a couple minor repairs but overall has been an excellent machine.

jeff

Another note, my mother in law still uses the Kirby she bought 30 years ago. The thing is a tank, and weighs as much as a tank, but if something breaks it gets fixed, generally just belts ever now and again.

However, I doubt a 2015 Kirby is as good as a 1985 Kirby.

Despite being cheap, this one has fantastic reviews and for the past year has held up very well for us. We purchased it in the US as nowhere in Canada stocked it. Best canister we've ever owned!

http://www.amazon.com/Eureka-3670G-Mighty-Canister-Vacuum/dp/B00002N8CX

Cons:
Cheap feeling plastic (yet has never broken any attachments)
gets warm to the touch (very powerful motor)
No auto cord winder (keeps price low and more simplistic)

Pros:
Cheap to purchase and cheap bags
VERY powerful
Simplistic design (easy to maintain)
Small and easy to manage

Panasonic MC-CG902 is a good canister;
For carpets:
Proteam Proforce 1200XP is a good upright.
Both are worth hunting on EBay.

You get what you pay for. After 46 years of marriage we are on our 2nd Electrolux. Its now around 15 years old. I realize you are paying a preium for the way they are marketed. But its worth it.

Originally Posted By: Al
You get what you pay for. After 46 years of marriage we are on our 2nd Electrolux. Its now around 15 years old. I realize you are paying a preium for the way they are marketed. But its worth it.

Remember, the Electrolux name has been changed recently.

The vacuums you are referring to as "Electrolux" are now sold under the Aerus brand.
http://www.aerusvacuums.com/

I don't remember all the details, but the name "Electrolux" in the U.S.wasn't used by the European Electrolux company, but the company now known as Aerus. Electrolux bought back the name and now the vacuums sold under the name "Electrolux" in the U.S. are made by the European company.

Having said all that, I recently bought one of the newer Euro-made Electrolux vacs. I went with one of the Ultrasilencer models. It's very quiet and cleans well and has a fully sealed HEPA filter.

Mine is made in Hungary. Some Electrolux models are made in China. I watched ebay and bought a lightly used demo model for a huge discount.

Also keep in mind that the word "commercial" in an advertisement might be used to convey how well a vacuum works in a commercial setting. But most commercial carpets are not thick pile. Easier to clean than deep pile home carpeting.

After my 1973 Orange Eureka canister died, I had a hard time getting a good unit and good wand and heads felts brushes. Again we forgot how to design something well.

You can buy a small shopvac rolling canister for cheap then use a good classic hose and wand and head. The new stuff is poor. The shop vac will suck an installed carpet right off the floor.

My Bosch canister is OK. My Italian ERMER has better suction but a small bag. All have poor wands so I use the old Eureka wands with an adapter.

Common Uprights are so huge bulky and plastic junk. I would get a cloth bag upright if upright is what you want.

I am an old Mechanical design Engineer (telcom, automotive and ) but I have an affinity for vacuums.

Do check Sears.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back